Author Topic: Crested Butte Wildflower Photography Workshop, 23 - 25 July 2010  (Read 5492 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Crested Butte Wildflower Photography Workshop, 23 - 25 July 2010
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »
Please join us for a wonderful weekend workshop photographing the beautiful alpine wildflowers and mountain scenery surrounding Crested Butte, Colorado.  Crested Butte is considered one of the premier locations in North America for photographing alpine wildflowers.  Rebecca and I have photographed and conducted workshops in Crested Butte many times and are familiar with the best shooting locations.  The "peak" wildflower bloom can vary from year to year based on snowpack and weather conditions; however, based on our many years of experience photographing in the region, we're confident that we will have a wonderful variety of wildflowers to photograph during the weekend of 23-25 July 2010.  By popular request, we've made this a three day "weekend" workshop so that participants only need to take one day off work in order to attend the workshop.

Photographing in Paradise, 2009 Crested Butte Wildflower Workshop

We will meet in Mount Crested Butte at the Nordic Inn for introductions and a short orientation on the evening of 22 July 2010, followed by three days of photography and workshop instruction on the 23rd, 24th and 25th.  We try to optimize our time in the field, which means getting an early start in the mornings, and will spend the evenings reviewing and critiquing our images from the day and learning post-processing techniques on the computer.  We will check out of the hotel on the morning of the 25th, spend the morning photographing wildflowers, have our final workshop lunch in Crested Butte, and then travel home.  

These three days of shooting and workshop instruction will allow enough time to visit the “prime” locations for wildflowers around Crested Butte, and plenty of time for individual instruction.  We concentrate on providing individualized instruction targeted to your knowledge level and will tailor our instruction to meet your specific goals for the workshop.  We are experienced at teaching all levels of photographers, from "point and shooters" to advanced digital SLR owners, and firmly believe that equipment does not make the photographer; so please don't be hesitant to sign up for the workshop if all you own is a point and shoot camera.  Our goal is to have every participant leave the workshop with a handful of images that they would be proud to print and display in a gallery or art show.  I will guarantee that your photography (and post-processing skills) will improve during the workshop if you are engaged and willing to learn.

"Apprentice" photographers borrowing Mom's D2x on the scouting trip during the days prior to the 2009 workshop

Back-lit Columbine

Lupine and Aspen
Kebler Pass Road, Just outside Crested Butte

We will also have an opportunity to photograph the beautiful cascades on Waterfall Creek, and other cascades and waterfalls in the area if the workshop participants are interested.

Waterfall Creek

We’ve reserved a block of rooms at the Nordic Inn in Crested Butte for the nights of 22, 23, and 24 July. They haven't finalized their rates yet for summer of 2010; however, we have stayed at the Nordic Inn for several years now and are confident that their rates will be reasonable.  (The rates for Summer of 2009 were $121 per night (plus tax) for a spacious room with two queen beds, with a great continental breakfast included in the price.)  UPDATE:  The rate for the larger rooms we reserved has been announced as $133 per night, before tax.  They do have less expensive rooms available, so if you ask the Nordic Inn for a less expensive room, I'm sure they will be able to accommodate you.  You are welcome to make reservations at another location in Crested Butte if you want; however, staying at the same hotel will make it much easier to meet for the post-processing and Photoshop tutorials in the evening and for carpooling to the various locations where we will be photographing.

The workshop price is $295 per person (lodging and meals not included), with a $75 deposit to reserve your slot.  The workshop is limited to 8 participants, with several of those slots already spoken for, so please contact us as soon as possible if you are interested.  

Keith and Rebecca Snell
Spirit of Photography Community Hosts

UPDATE:  I've attached a registration form for the workshop.  We've asked for information in the form that will help us prepare for and run a more efficient workshop, so If you are planning to attend the workshop please complete and mail the form by 30 June 2010.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:22:00 PM by keithsnell »

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
Re: Crested Butte Wildflower Photography Workshop, 23 - 25 July 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:46:18 AM »
The Nordic Inn in Crested Butte has now opened their reservations for summer.  We have rooms with two queen beds blocked under 'Spriit of Photography workshop'. 

Please call The Nordic Inn at 970-349-5542 to reserve your room. 

The rate for rooms with queen size beds is $133 plus tax for this summer.   We encourage you to reserve your room with check in on Thursday, July 22 and check out on Sunday, July 25, 2010.  Of course you are welcome to stay longer or come earlier as Crested Butte is a delightful area to explore.  The Nordic Inn has smaller rooms with double beds and and few suites with king size beds.  You are welcome to reserve those if they are available.   If you have any issues making your reservation, please let us know. 

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »
I think a wildflower workshop in the mountains is exactly what I need.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »
We can squeeze another person in the car if you want to ride out with us (if you can stand 13 hours in the car with a two year old and a 4 1/2 year old :)).  We'll be going out a day or two early for our pre-workshop scouting.  If you can manage to break away from work that long, we'd love to have you join us.

Keith

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:50 AM »
Very kind of you to offer.  I think I'll take my own vehicle and explore wildly all the way there and back. That's such a beautiful area, and it'll be an opportunity to see the Black Canyon and Ouray area again.  I'll get my registration and payment in asap.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »
I like the idea of "exploring wildly."  

I will really enjoy having the opportunity to photograph with you around the Crested Butte area.  I'm looking forward to the trip.

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 06:40:10 PM »
I've attached a registration form to the first post in this thread.  If you have any questions about the workshop, please don't hesitate to ask.

Keith