Author Topic: Grand Teton & Yellowstone National Park Workshop, 26 September - 3 October 2010  (Read 7836 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Park Photography Workshop
26 September - 3 October 2010

Grizzly scouting the area before returning to a carcass
Yellowstone National Park

We invite you to join us for our Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Park photography workshop from 26 September - 3 October 2010.  With the current state of the economy, we've taken a hard look at minimizing the cost of the workshop, and have structured a workshop to provide the best "bang for the buck" possible.  

Fall Aspen and Mt Moran
Grand Teton National Park

The workshop will begin on the evening of Sunday, 26 September 2010, and run through the morning of Sunday, 3 October 2010.  Based on our many years of experience photographing this area, we know this is typically the best time of the year to obtain beautiful fall foliage images in Grand Teton National Park, and to photograph the wildlife activity (especially the bears) in Yellowstone National Park as they forage for food in preparation for the long winter ahead.  

Black Bear sow blissfully enjoying the Fall berries.  Her two cubs are also foraging nearby.

The price for the workshop includes seven nights of in-park lodging, and six full days of photography and instruction.  Note that a large portion of the cost of this workshop is due to the cost of in-park lodging.  We're convinced however that this arrangement provides the best "bang-for-the-buck" since we will be able to maximize our time photographing in the park without wasting time traveling to and from the park each day.  We will be spending three nights in Grand Teton National Park before traveling up to Yellowstone.  We have already booked a block of rooms in the historic "Old House" at the Old Faithful Inn for our stay in Yellowstone. The Old Faithful Inn is one of the historic "gems" of the national park system, and is a wonderful place to stay.

Lobby in the "Old House" portion of the historic Old Faithful Inn

Since the Old Faithful Inn is right in the heart of the geological activity in Yellowstone, with a wonderful view of Old Faithful, we will have ample opportunity to photograph the park's famous geological features.

Morning Glory Pool

Because this will be a "once in a lifetime" experience for some of the workshop participants, our goal is to provide you with the best possible memories of a wonderful week in this special place.  One of our past participants, who is an experienced traveler, described this workshop as the second best trip she had taken in her entire life, with the caveat that nothing could ever top the extravagant european ski vacation she had taken with her husband when they were younger.  

Coyote on the hunt in the golden grass of Fall

As teachers and mentors, our goal is to provide the best possible photography opportunities and instruction during the week of the workshop.  This is not a "photo tour" where the instructors photograph alongside the participants, but a true "workshop" where we will put aside our own photography for the week and concentrate on providing you with the knowledge and skills to significantly improve your photography.  We will teach both the technical aspects required for a good foundation, and the more creative aspects of photography that will help you return home with images you will be proud of.  Although our goal is to maximize our shooting time, we will also take advantage of any "down time" to teach post-processing techniques on the computer.

Moose cow and calf crossing the Snake River in the morning mist at Oxbow Bend
Grand Teton National Park

The price for the workshop is $1355 per person (double occupancy) and includes seven nights of in-park lodging and six full days of photography instruction.  (By comparison, most week-long Yellowstone photography workshops cost about $3,000 per person.)  Because rooms are limited, we highly encourage "double occupancy," (all rooms have two queen beds) however a single occupancy rate is available at an additional cost of $750 per person.  The workshop is limited to eight participants, with several of the slots already spoken for, so please contact us as soon as possible if you are interested in attending.  A $200 deposit will be required to reserve your slot, with full payment due by 1 September 2010.

Black Bear cub romping in the Fall grass with mom nearby

This workshop is one of the highlights of our year, and hope you can join us for this wonderful experience.  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

UPDATE:  I've attached a registration form for the workshop.  If you are planning to attend the workshop please complete and mail the form as soon as possible to reserve your slot.

Keith and Rebecca Snell
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 02:57:27 PM by keithsnell »

sue.pepin

I had participated in this trip several years ago and it's wonderful!  As a matter of fact, it is so good, that Rick and I are going this year and can hardly wait.  This is the one trip that you will never regret taking.

Keith, I recogize the Oxbow Bend moose & baby picture!

keithsnell

• Administrator
I've added a link to the registration form for the Grand Teton & Yellowstone Workshop at the bottom of the first post in this thread.  For all those that looked for the registration form and couldn't find it, I apologize for not adding the link earlier.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
We only have one room remaining for this workshop (we've reserved in-park lodging in both Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks), and need to release our reservations for this room by the first of September, so if you are interested in attending this workshop please let us know as soon as possible.

Keith

P.S.
You can call 316-686-8497 if you would prefer to ask questions over the phone.

wildshutter

• Lorin and Julie's photo's
Just had to post a BIG thank you to Rebecca a Keith for a FANTASTIC work shop. Now the REAL work begins with reviewing and editing all the incredible captures.  Here is a sample. I hope everyone got home safe!   ;D ;D

Lorin
Lorin

sue.pepin

Rick and I 2nd this.  I learned so much ... just wish I had written everything down!  We are planning for next year already.  So everyone, start saving your pennies so we can see you all again.

Michele

This is for Sue.  Only a suggestion.  I think the tree may be distracting.  I love, love, LOVE this photo!!!

keithsnell

• Administrator
Good suggestion Michele.

Sue, when we cropped this version of the photo during our session on the computer, I think we cropped it so that the coyote was in the upper left third of the frame, and he appeared to be jumping into the frame.  I think it was Rick's suggestion, so he might be able to show you the crop he suggested during the computer session.

It's an awesome image!  I absolutely love the backlight through the golden grass.  I've never been able to capture a coyote image this good.   This is one of those times that I wish I would have been shooting right along beside you.

Keith

Michele

It's just perfect.  I really love this shot.  I only used the cloning tool to remove the tree and cropped it a little bit off the top.  But this shot is just beautiful.  Please don't crop too much off this.  I think its vastness gives it the beauty with the coloring of the field.   Please keep a lot of field in this shot, it adds so much to it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:49:17 AM by Michele »

Michele

Also, I just have to note that so far these photos are outstanding.  Just wow.  Also, I missed you guys.

sue.pepin

I couldn't remember how we cropped the photo.  For some reason I thought you liked the trees in so I left them.  I think Michelle is right, they are distracting.  Rick will love the fact that he gets to teach me again!  Michelle, you need to save your pennies so you can come for this work shop next year.  I think you would absolutely love it.  Plus we might be able to get some of your creative ideas through osmosis!

Michele

I would love to go.  Honestly.  It would be a dream to do something like that.  I don't know if I can, but I will see what I can do.  I would love to do that!

Feels like christmas, guys, keep 'em coming...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 12:54:18 PM by Michele »