Author Topic: Potential Weekly Assignment Topics  (Read 5585 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Potential Weekly Assignment Topics
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
The assignment for the week of 21 - 27 March 2011 is "Signs of Spring."  I realize it might be a little early for Spring in some areas of the world, but I'm sure you can find some signs if you look hard enough.

(OK, I changed my mind on this, but will leave this post since it started the discussion thread below.)

Keith
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:54:18 AM by keithsnell »

Lars

Keith

In my part of the world its better with an assignment "No signs of Spring"
Perhaps You can make this assignment a two weeks

Michele

I have to say that my favorite part of spring won't be around for at least a month...  As long as we can do another Spring assignment I am fine with the first signs of spring but if not, then I agree that it is too soon.

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
Hmmm,

OK, how about some other ideas for an assignment for this week (or two) and then we'll do "signs of Spring" in a couple of weeks. 

Any ideas?

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
Here are a few other ideas:

"illustrations."  Something along the lines of Norman Rockwell (but without an emphasis on his style), where your images are specifically constructed to illustrate a concept.

"Fragility." Constructing an image to emphasize the fragile nature of your subject

"Body Language."

"Minimalism."

"Famous lines."  An image designed to specifically illustrate a famous quote.

Do any of those sound interesting?  Any other ideas?

Keith

Michele

I wish I had joined this website from the start because many of the assignments you have done a few years ago are very appealing to me.  

So is this one, it is simply a little too early for me...  I am open to everything.

Could we not repeat some that have already been done?

(Just if you want...) ::)

Michele

I like all those ideas.  I really like fragility.  That can mean ohhh so many things.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Sure, we could repeat some.  I've wondered when I should start repeating some of those assignments.  

Which ones appeal to you?

Keith

Michele

The hardest one I did, I still believe was understanding the Focus Point assignment.

I still think Fragility is very cool.

Some of the past ones that I had not participated in and look very interesting would be:

Motion
Balance
Controlling Perspective
Simple beauty
Discord
Backlit
Complementary Colors/Harmonious Colors
Still Life
Abstract
Chaos
Macro
Long exposure
Bokeh (never got that quite right)
Framed

But all of them look good.  I don't see anything wrong in repeating stuff because maybe we see things differently.  (I re-did the water drop thing again last night but changed a deep pan of water with a shallow pan just to see how it would look...)  (Which, I posted...   :'()

And your other ideas are fab as well.  (I am not so keen on the Norman Rockwell but I would do anything as a challenge)

I feel like knocking down Spring was not so cool.  It's a great idea but I want to just wait a wee bit longer.  (I want the flower buds on the trees to start and not just muddy grass mixed with snow.)

Michèle
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:35:25 AM by Michele »

Michele

I also had this idea of being the 3rd person or thing.

Like what would it be like being a chair with a (ummm) bum about to sit on me.  Or through the eyes of the dog about to get my food. 

I don't know how to explain what I mean except to say to see something at the angle of something else...  Like a sandwich about to be devoured.

I'm not being clear, I think.

Oh well, maybe you get my point.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: "Signs of Spring," Weekly Photography Assignment for 21 - 27 March 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
Thanks Michele (and Lars),

I suspected it might have been too early for a Spring assignment, so I'm glad you said something.  And thanks for listing the other assignments that you would be interested in repeating.  I'll update the assignment topic.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »
To Dave,

;D

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »
OK,  How about if we go with "Fragility" for this week's assignment, and then I will figure out how to best repeat some of the previous assignments.

I'll see if I can rename this topic to something like "potential assignment topics" and then post a new thread with the new assignment for next week.

Keith

Michele

Re: Potential Weekly Assignment Topics
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Sounds good to me. 

I have to say another thing I like about the assignments.  I like the surprise of what they are when I get onto the website.  It's a lot of fun, Keith, and I learn a lot from you.  Thank you.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Potential Weekly Assignment Topics
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:56:58 AM »
Thank you.  I learn a lot when I participate in the assignments too.  If I didn't have the incentive of the assignments, I fear that I would let other activities take over all my time, and wouldn't make time for my photography.

Keith