Author Topic: Potential Weekly Assignment Topics  (Read 5584 times)

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Re: Potential Weekly Assignment Topics
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
Fragility sounds like a potent theme for an assignment.  My thoughts behind "signs of Spring" or "seasonal transitions" were more as a metaphor, mostly that of recovery. With patience darkness is always overcome by light,  coldness surrenders willingly to warmth... It helps give a context to tragedy and helps us keep hope.
But I love the concept of "fragility" as a theme for the next week.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »
I wouldn't mind an assignment on recovery, healing, transitions, or renewal either.  That sounds cool as well.  I took the assignment in the literal sense as it was written. 

I think fragility can fall within that category too. 

I have been following world events so closely lately that I think it is truly getting under my skin.  I finally heard from friends in Japan.  Their electricity was off until now too and, of course, I was not a priority as family members, etc.  But I feel guilty that I am relieved that they are ok.  It doesn't change the enormity of the situation over there and yet I feel relieved. 

As for the assignments, I think what I like about them too is the escape they give me. 

Anyways, my deep-thoughts friend, I would be into that too.

wildshutter

• Lorin and Julie's photo's
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
Hey (Julie here under Lorin's log-in),

I came to the site looking for the update on the spring challenge. Lorin and I just came in from shooting for "signs of spring". I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find it any longer :-) And of course, we even got shots we liked :-)

Personally, I like the more tangible assignments like shallow depth of field, portraits, birds, blue (or any color), single light source (or two light sources), etc. I think it builds my skill level more then the conceptual ideas.

Just my two cents worth.
Julie (and Lorin too :) )
Lorin

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »
Thanks Julie (and Lorin),

Sorry about changing the topic on you.  (But glad you got some good images,)  I'd still love to see them!

I have to admit that I'm playing "catch up" after being gone for a couple of weeks (and occupied with preparing for the workshop for several weeks before that), so I haven't been able to put quite as much thought into the assignment topics.  I do appreciate all the feedback on what you all like (and don't like) for assignment topics.

I'll try to get back to more assignments that cover the "fundamentals" of photography and help to build our skills.

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 04:10:08 PM »
Hey (Julie here under Lorin's log-in),

I came to the site looking for the update on the spring challenge. Lorin and I just came in from shooting for "signs of spring". I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find it any longer :-) And of course, we even got shots we liked :-)

Hi Julie,

The "Signs of Spring" album is still open, so how about submitting your images early?  I'd love to see them.

Keith

marilyn

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 12:15:34 AM »
Fragility is definitely a thought-provoking topic that ties into the overwhelmingness of world events that have gotten under my skin too, Michele.  They certainly speak to the fragility of life and thus the importance of staying connected with family, friends, community.  You never know when it might get swept away.  And yet, there are signs of hope and renewal.....I got to visit with my parents and sisters for a few days last week at the beginning of our spring break and was reminded of my many blessings...