Author Topic: Western New South Wales via the "Road Less Travelled".1.Katoomba to Mudgee.  (Read 1585 times)

rod1

After some months rough preparation, Lida, Dylan and myself were ready to leave. In years gone by Lida and I had traveled Australia and parts of the world, extensively by bicycle. This was to be our first trip as a family in a motor vehicle and we planned on meandering our way, in a big loop, and seeing the far western parts of our state, New South Wales. Monday morning found the Ute loaded and us ready and, as so often had happened over the years, as we left on extended bicycle tours, the weather was wet and misty.

Leaving our beloved Blue Mountains, we headed west through Lithgow and pausing for our first cup of tea at a lookout over the Capertee Valley.

and a telescopic view through the now rising mist.

Dylan, 12 years of age posed for this between eating and riding his beloved skateboard.

The view of the road beneath us showed our path west and on to flatter farming country.

Stopping for a play ground as we worked our way west, I couldnt help but 'play' with the 8 frames a second that the D300 allows me. Shame I was on his wrong side!

Although still early, it was our holiday, so on seeing this interesting little place along the fairly open road, I couldnt help but stop and have Cappicuno and sample one of their pies.

It looked like being a 'rough' trip!
Eventually, we managed to drag ourselves away from the warm fire, hot food and delicious coffee to wander on west.
Heading towards Rylestone and eventually Mudgee for the night, the country side 'opened out' into general grazing pastures.

The Rylestone Railway Station in particular caught my eye. I grew up with tales of the 'Mudgee Mail', a train running from Lithgow to Mudgee. The line was abandoned some 15 or 20 years ago and we had seen parts of the now overgrown track at times as we travelled. Now, at Rylestone, we paused to look at the old Railway Station. Built in the 1880s and having a very Australian connection (Poet Henry Lawson's Father had worked on it's construction!), We wandered around the beautifully kept old building.

Since first posting this, I recieved this interesting reply back from friend Arthur, who, I am sure, will not mind me quoting him, "Pics of Rylstone Railway Station brought back some memories, as I worked there for six years in the late sixties, early seventies as Assistant Station Master. It was manned around the clock back then, with a Station Master and a Station Assistant on daywork and an ASM plus a Junior on both afternoon shift and night shift."

As usual, Dylan took the opportunity to pose. What is a father to do but photograph!

Having grown up using a fire in the home which required a chimney, and indeed, still using a slow combustion kitchen fire/stove. I have a facination with chimneys. The chimney on this very old Australian building caught my attention and I couldnt help but wonder over the bricklayers who had originally laid the bricks, the fires which had burnt in the fire place over the next centuary, and even the workers who had so recently painted it with such love of perfection of detail. This was a chimney to remember...twice!

Leaving the station I couldn't help but photograph and wonder over the 'shed' next door. What sort of history could this beautiful old building tell?

Moving on I was, as alway's, entranced by the country side and the roadside directions. We spent this whole trip following alternate or senic routes.

As the country side opened up the heavy skies and beautiful clouds reminded me of "the yellow brick road", I found myself attempting repeatedly, to capture such beauty. Now, looking back, my attempts were just that. Attempts. The beauty of that day was totally captivating!

Well.....Artistic License!

This is grazing country and I loved this bunch of cattle. There is nothing like looking into a cow's deep and soulful eye's! Well, thats what I reckon, anyway!!

Soon to be in Mudgee for our first nights stop, we paused yet again to visit a Pottery, just off the road. This image, shows the type of open woodland we were in and the ubiquetis Eucalyptus.

Mudgee next stop  where we spent  a few nights. Lets see how this all works!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 06:36:16 AM by rod1 »