Author Topic: Western Turkey, 1 - 14 April 2009, with Jim Caldwell, Davil Honl and Meli Seval  (Read 2888 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
I'm posting this workshop announcement on behalf of Jim Caldwell, who is one of the organizers for this awesome photography workshop to Turkey.

From Jim:  "The very next foreign trip I have planned is our journey through Turkey.  I should mention that I am helping to organize this trip, but I am not the photo leader!  This is a trip I really want to do, but we need a minimum of 10 people to sign up.  The trip will begin on April 1st (though Carolyn and I plan to fly to Istanbul the day before) and is a 15 day photo workshop.  The workshop will be conducted by David Honl (http://www.davidhonlphoto.com).  David is a well known photojournalist whose work appears in National Geographic, Newsweek, Parade Magazine, and many other national publications.  He has also developed a line of inexpensive light modification tools for standard flash units and is often featured on The Strobist website (strobist.blogspot.com) David has traveled extensively through Turkey, Iran, Iraq and surrounding regions.

Our guide will be Meli Seval who literally wrote the book on Turkey. She also appeared on several episodes of Travels through Europe with Rick Steves that runs on PBS.  Meli has been a tour guide to Turkey for several decades and has written several books on travel within Turkey. (http://www.melitour.com/photo.htm)

The price for 10 - 14 people is only $2650 and if we can get 15 or more, the price drops to $2450.  That price includes the following:

14 nights hotel, double occupancy
2 Domestic Flights Istanbul - Cappadcia /Izmir - Istanbul
Breakfast, lunch and dinner each day
All entrance fees
Tips at the hotels and the restaurants
All transportation and transfer within Turkey
Experienced Guide
Tip for the guide
The Photo workshop with David Honl

(there is a $300 single supplement if you are traveling alone. There is also a $20 visa fee paid at the airport in Istanbul upon arrival).

That is an outstanding price which includes the photo workshop and flash techniques from a leading photojournalist and the best guide in Turkey! I should mention that this is not a nature trip, but is a great opportunity to capture amazing travel images of ancient historical sights as well as get an opportunity to meet and photograph the Turkish people who live and work in these ancient cities which have been occupied for thousands of years. 

If you want an itinerary of the trip - please go to http://www.melitour.com/photo.htm , or drop me an email and I will send you the information. 

PLEASE let me know if you are interested in attending as we need a minimum of 10 people in order to book the trip.  I currently have 5 people who have indicated an interest (which includes me and Carolyn).  It is important that we have the 10+ travelers before the end of January.  Meli and David are holding the dates for me until then. Even if you have indicated an interest to me before, please email me again so that I can verify the count! CLICK HERE to be added to the Turkey Photo Workshop List.

ADDITIONAL INFO ON TURKEY.  Turkey is 99.8% Moslem and .2% Christian/Jewish.  The government is a Republican parliamentary democracy and Turkey has a strict separation policy of Church and state much like the United States.  The Turkish people are quite friendly and progressive in many ways. Turkey is very interested in becoming part of the European Union as it actually straddles the mid-eastern and western worlds. There are currently no travel advisories from the CDC or the State Department, so if you are interested, don't hesitate to sign up for this opportunity!"

Posted by Keith Snell for:
Jim Caldwell
Stock Photography
www.specialty-media.com

Jimfc

• Elusive Image
Thank you Keith for posting this for me!!  The trip was wonderful and I have a daily journal and some images at www.elusiveimage.net/forum.  I was so pleased with Mehlika Seval as a photo guide that we are planning a trip, possibly next year, to Mongolia - let me know if you would be interested in joining us!