Author Topic: Weekly Assignment "One Subject - Three Angles" April 11 - April 25, 2012  (Read 21478 times)

Michele

We have some great ideas for assignments coming when the seasons change a little more for all of us.

Our last assignment had a lot of participation and I think we can really keep the energy up.  One question, are we still ok with bi-weekly assignments or should we go back to weekly?

One member in the last assignment gave me an idea for our next challenge.  

We sometimes get stuck taking a photo with the same angle and never feel like we get it just right.  In this assignment, we are going to do another "Triptych" http://community.spiritofphotography.com/index.php?topic=575.0 again. Please go review the triptych assignment we did in May 2010 if you are uncertain what a triptych is.  If you can't put your three photos together, post them individually and I will put them together for you.

In this assignment, take the same subject at three completely different angles.  You can change the DOF, your lens or any other settings you like but the subject has to be the same and the angle must be different in all three photos.

Let's see if we can learn a new trick or two by trying out alternative views.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:37:47 AM by Michele »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Awesome assignment Michele.

Thank you!

Keith

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Sounds great!
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

marilyn

You read my mind!  I was thinking I'd like to try a triptych again.  Now to figure out the subject!

keithsnell

• Administrator
We have some great ideas for assignments coming when the seasons change a little more for all of us.

Our last assignment had a lot of participation and I think we can really keep the energy up.  One question, are we still ok with bi-weekly assignments or should we go back to weekly?

One member in the last assignment gave me an idea for our next challenge.  

We sometimes get stuck taking a photo with the same angle and never feel like we get it just right.  In this assignment, we are going to do another "Triptych" http://community.spiritofphotography.com/index.php?topic=575.0 again. Please go review the triptych assignment we did in May 2010 if you are uncertain what a triptych is.  If you can't put your three photos together, post them individually and I will put them together for you.

In this assignment, take the same subject at three completely different angles.  You can change the DOF, your lens or any other settings you like but the subject has to be the same and the angle must be different in all three photos.

Let's see if we can learn a new trick or two by trying out alternative views.

Hi Michele,

Would you like me to update the front page article so that it links to this assignment and to the voting thread for the last assignment?  I'd be happy to do that (but didn't want to take over if you were already planning to do it).

Keith

Michele

That would be great if you could, Keith. (I forgot.)   I could do it later in the evening, but if you have the time...  Thank you.

keithsnell

• Administrator
That would be great if you could, Keith. (I forgot.)   I could do it later in the evening, but if you have the time...  Thank you.

My pleasure.  I will get it done later today.  Thank you for starting us on the assignments again.

Keith

marilyn

Awesome images submitted so far on this assignment.  I have a question, though.  Would it meet the criteria for the assignment if I did something like a soccer game from 3 different angles -- for example, a long view of the game in action, possibly an individual player and maybe a ground level shot of a foot kicking a ball?

keithsnell

• Administrator
Awesome images submitted so far on this assignment.  I have a question, though.  Would it meet the criteria for the assignment if I did something like a soccer game from 3 different angles -- for example, a long view of the game in action, possibly an individual player and maybe a ground level shot of a foot kicking a ball?

Hi Marilyn,

I'm not sure if that meets the intent of what Michele was looking for so I will let her answer your question.  It might be worth shooting that triptych anyway.  It seems like it would be good practice for illustrating three different aspects of the game.

Michele

Interesting.  It does sound like a great idea for a photo ensemble but it isn't really what I meant.  However, say a player is standing at the beginning with his hand to his heart and you move around three times to get three angles of the guy, that would be more like it.

marilyn

Got it! Thanks for confirming....

marilyn

Once again I seem to need help in getting my images loaded into a triptych because I'm a mac user.  The directions Dave sent earlier are no longer working, at least that I can figure out.  The irfanview program doesn't seem clearly available for a mac but I might just be unable to figure out the google search choices, and the PDF which sent me to a different site with directions that Dave sent to me in an email message no longer work.  I don't think it should have to be so hard, and I'll try to play with it later but have a big grant-writing project I need to get ready for.  If anyone can tell me how to do this without using photoshop or programs/templates only available on Windows, that would be fabulous.  I've been using Aperture lately for editing but there are lots of confusing aspects though I think it could be done.  I might also be able to do this with Picasa...  At any rate, I loaded the 3 photos in my Photo Shoots gallery (still trying to find out the name - my mom thinks they are azaelas, others think in the lilly family.  I think it starts with an "a" - I bought them as cut flowers at Trader Joes!   Thanks!

Michele

My Computer is doping a Scan, I will put them together in the morning, I promise.  They are lovely shots btw.  I'm looking at them on the iPad.  I can't wait to see them on the computer. 

marilyn

I feel like such a dummy -- I really do want to know how to do this myself!