Author Topic: "Holiday Magic", Weekly Photography Assignment for Dec. 13 - 25, 2011  (Read 5081 times)

Michele

It's that time of year again for seasonal celebrations!  "The time to rip every hair off  my head! or maybe that's just me."  Wether you celebrate Christmas, Chanukah, Diwali, or just enjoy the energy all around us, these important cultural moments in societies around the world beg to be captured.

So for the next two magical weeks, let's try and record the sense of wonder and excitment in the preperation for the holidays for you and your family!  May it be heart-warming or tongue-and-cheek, I am fairly certain we can look forward to some pretty unique photos.

I would also like to add a small message to the newest members.  Even if you do not get a chance to do the assignments, we welcome your opinions, critiques and votes for the photos presented on the website.  But most of all, we would love to see YOUR work for these assignments.  We have beginners, amateurs and professionals on this site that do the assignments and support, encourage and motivate one another.  You can really start understand what you enjoy most about photography because the assignments can be themed, technical, artistic, etc.  When you miss an assignment, it doesn't matter because the next one is right around the corner.  However, when you get yourself out there, even when you don't have the time for it, it's amazing how much your photography can improve. 

Now get off the computer, eat a cookie, take a photo and upload it into the assignment folder!  (It could be of the cookie!)  ;)  mmmmm.... cookies!!!!

So I baked some chocolate chip cookies just now and just for you!  And me!  Actually, more for me than you!  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:55:02 AM by Michele »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: "Holiday Magic", Weekly Photography Assignment for Dec. 13 - 25, 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »
I love this shot.  It looks like the snowman in the back is peering over the other's shoulder and looking with longing at the cookies. 

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
Me too, it's really a great photo and a perfect example for the new assignment.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:11:15 AM »
I tried photographing our town's seasonal celebration dress rehearsal with the new 70-200 f2.8 thinking it'd be great for that use. The reach was nice but otherwise the results weren't as good as previous years when I used the 17-55. It's difficult to steady a 200mm reach at slow shutter speeds. A monopod just wasn't enough but a tripod would have created a nuisance for everyone. The concert is very dimly lit, just orchestra lights. The effect can be really pretty, but it makes me hunger for one of the newer cameras that does better in low light.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »
If that hunger gets too great to resist, I'd be glad to share some of what I've learned before you take the plunge.

Keith

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:08:25 AM »
Thanks Keith. The hunger is great, but the budget is very limited.  I'm also hungry for knowledge so please share.
Part of the problem is critical focus in the dark with a long lens.

Chris

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
Dave, my D7000 is available anytime you'd like to try it. I've been wondering how well it would do with the 70-200 f2.8 attached. It does ok for me with my 70-300 but, what do I know?  :D

I wasn't too impressed with the bulletins canon 60d/70-200 f2.8L. It's a pretty well used older lens. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe my expectations were too high. Compared to that combo, my 70-300/d7000 is pretty good bang for the buck.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »
We'll try that Chris, thanks!  I think it should be a good combination.  Sooner or later the D400 will introduce itself and I'm expecting some great low-light performance at a reasonable price, as you get from the D7000. Hope, hope, hope....