Author Topic: "Expanded Perspective," Weekly Photography Assignment for 25 April - 1 May 2011  (Read 2622 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The topic for this weekly assignment is "Expended Perspective," but first I think a quick review of earlier assignments is in order.  “Perspective” is the technique or process of representing a scene on a two dimensional plane so that the objects represented have apparent depth and distance.  Linear Perspective deals with the way we use converging lines as cues for determining distance and size relationships between near and far elements. In the example below, the converging lines of the railroad track provide relative scale from which we can determine the distance and size of the train.  We use both the rate and amount of convergence to assess distance, and from that determine the relative size of objects at that distance.

Be aware that the converging lines do not have to be “linear” in the strictest sense (i.e., a straight line).  The converging lines of a winding road or river can be very effective at leading the viewer into the scene and providing a sense of relative scale based on the amount of convergence.

Even without clearly defined converging lines in a scene, our minds will perceive distance based on transitions in size between near and far objects, such as in the example below.  The change in size of the bridge pillars provides a reference that our minds subconsciously use to estimate the distance.

Converging lines, difference in size, vanishing points, and atmospheric haze result in a perception of distance

Because a shorter focal length lens results in the foreground elements appearing larger in relation to the background elements, we can use a shorter focal length lens to convey an “expanded” perspective.  The effect of expanded and compressed perspective is illustrated in the two images below.  Both images were taken at the exact same location on the bank of Oxbow Bend in Grand Teton National Park.  The first image was photographed with a lens with an effective focal length of 28mm.  This relatively short focal length makes distant object look much smaller in relation to the foreground, which has the effect of expanding the perceived distance across the bend in the river.  

The second image was photographed from the same position with a 200mm lens, which compresses the foreground and background elements in the scene.  The trees look much closer than they really are, and the perceived distance between the trees and the mountains has been compressed.  

Dave Leiker (prairiedust) uses his super-wide 12 - 24mm lens very effectively to convey a sense of the vast expanses on the Kansas prairie, like this:

Sea Wall #2
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

For this week's assignment we will concentrate on the use of a wide angle lens to produce images with an expanded perspective.  One of the keys to successfully using a wide angle lens to convey expanded perspective is to get down lower than "standing height" so that you are relatively close to your foreground elements.

The assignment for the week of 25 April - 1 May 2001 is "Expanded Perspective."  Please upload your images to the Expanded Perspective album in the Weekly Assignments category of the gallery no-later-than midnight, Mountain time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 1 May 2011.

I'll look forward to seeing your images.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:53:39 PM by keithsnell »

Lars

Cant find any assignment  box for "Expended Perspective in the gallery

keithsnell

• Administrator
Cant find any assignment  box for "Expended Perspective in the gallery

Thank you Lars.  The "Expanded Perspective" album is in the gallery now.  (We were out of town for Easter weekend, and I fell a little behind on my weekly assignment posts.)

Keith

marilyn

Hi....I just tried to move a photo from my Photo Shoots gallery to the Expanded Perspective.  Do I need to officially resubmit it into the assignment gallery or is it must my server being cranky?  BTW, thanks for looking at those images, Keith!

keithsnell

• Administrator
Hi....I just tried to move a photo from my Photo Shoots gallery to the Expanded Perspective.  Do I need to officially resubmit it into the assignment gallery or is it must my server being cranky?  BTW, thanks for looking at those images, Keith!

Hi Marilyn,

You should be able to move the image.  If you still have problems, please let me know and I will move it for you.

Keith