Author Topic: Poll: One week assignments or two?  (Read 3895 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Poll: One week assignments or two?
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:39:29 AM »
Now that we've had a chance to experiment with several two-week assignments, I wanted to get your feedback on which format you prefer.  I think either option has both advantages and disadvantages.  Personally, one of the reasons I do the assignments is so that I give myself incentive to get out and photograph each week.  If I don't have an incentive, then I find that other things take precedence and I don't make the time to photograph.  On the other hand, it always seems as if I am rushed when I try to cram an assignment into a one week time period, and for the most part I appreciate having extra time to think about creating my images during the two-week assignments.

It's also nice to have "new content" that will bring people back to the site regularly.  People are creatures of habit, and I fear that if they get out of the habit of visiting the site regularly, then we will lose their (your) participation.  Having a "nominal" one-week assignment schedule also gives me the flexibility to skip a week every now and then when I'm traveling and away from internet access, without having too much of a gap in the assignments.

So, what do you all think?  Do you prefer one-week or two-week assignments?  (And please feel free to add your thoughts and recommendations to this thread.)

NOTE: Since I don't want you to be swayed by what everyone else votes, I've set up the poll so that you won't be able to see the other votes until after you submit your vote. :)

Keith
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:45:46 AM by keithsnell »

Michele

Re: Poll: One week assignments or two?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:40:51 AM »
Although life can be overwhelming at times, I still think one week is best.  I like that every once in a while you mix it up when something looks like it may need more time.  Even when I don't have the time, I really try to make the time to get something in for the assignment.  So what if we miss one because of our schedules?   We can still participate in comments and voting and get on with it the following week. 

I believe that the motivation I have to improve and learn as much as I can from everyone is not a fleeting fancy and I don't think I am the only one who feels this way.  Setting weekly objectives encourages us to stay focussed on doing what photography is all about - getting out there and taking photos!

I will follow what you guys decide, of course, because I am a DIE HARD spirit fan!

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:41:59 AM »
Thank you Michele!

Keith

Michele

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Oh, I just saw that it is a vote.  Should I remove the comments?

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:50:34 AM »
Oh, I just saw that it is a vote.  Should I remove the comments?

No, comments are good too (and appreciated).

Keith

TrvlRick

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Keith, I prefer the one week assignments for just the reasons that you and Michele spoke about. It would get me thinking on a weekly basis on what photos I want to take and how to take them. It seems that when there is a two week assignment that I/we tend to wait and put the photos in at the last minute sometimes so there isn't as much interaction.  :D

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
Thanks Rick!

Keith

wildshutter

• Lorin and Julie's photo's
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »
I would echo the weekly comments. I would suggest a longer assignment for a more in depth challenge. I know for me I am struggling with indoor lighting/flash and shots like these take time to plan and set up and edit. Just a suggestion.
Special thanks to Keith for his constant energy in keeping this endevor going!
Lorin

marilyn

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
I agree with most comments regarding one week assignments.  They really do motivate me to get out and experiment.  I must say that there have been times when I've been grateful for 2 weeks, I agree that an occasional more challenging assignment every few months might warrant 2 weeks but I like the energy created by new assignments and find that as much as possible I'm logging in just to see what folks are creating!!  You all inspire me tremendously!!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
Thanks Lorin and Marilyn.  I appreciate the comments.

Keith

girod

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »
I'll go for one week assignments. Jaime

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
Thanks Jaime. 

It looks like almost everyone likes the one week assignments, so we'll stick with those for awhile. :)

Keith

Luc Bigler

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 06:57:06 AM »
I vote for a rhythm of two weekly assignments. All my other committments and interests beside photography make it hard for me to find enough time to do justice to the assignments every week - especially when I am away travelling. But as a good Swiss I will accept a majority decision. I can always skip an assignment, although I hate to do it!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
I vote for a rhythm of two weekly assignments. All my other committments and interests beside photography make it hard for me to find enough time to do justice to the assignments every week - especially when I am away travelling. But as a good Swiss I will accept a majority decision. I can always skip an assignment, although I hate to do it!

Hi Luc,

Thank you for your response.  I've really liked some of the 2-week assignments as well.  On the assignments where we have had longer, I think people have put more thought into their images.  My biggest challenge would be when I'm forced to skip a week while away on other business.  If that week falls when we would normally have an assignment on a 2-week cycle, then I'm forced to skip two weeks, which I think is just too long.  So for now I think I will try having the assignments on a "normal" 1-week schedule, but have the flexibility to have 2-week assignments every now and then, either when the topic requires more time, or when I will be away on business and can't dedicate the time for a 1-week assignment.

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I do appreciate the feedback, and encourage everyone to participate when they can.  I certainly understand that not everyone can participate every single week (not even me).

Keith