Author Topic: Feedback for Jack, Lions  (Read 1462 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Feedback for Jack, Lions
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
Jack asked for feedback on this image, so I decided to start a short post so that I could show him what I was thinking, instead of just trying to describe it.

Here's the original image:

A King With His Queen
Photographed by Jack Powers

I should start by saying that I loved the composition, interaction, and expressions Jack captured in this image.  I did however, feel that the color balance was a little off.  I downloaded the image, and when I opened it in Photoshop I realized that the website was "confused" about what the color space was.  It was tagged as sRGB, but looked much better when I assigned the AdobeRGB color space.  I'm not sure what caused the the issue, but tagging the image with the Adobe color space helped.

However, the image was still a bit too green.  (That happens sometimes in tricky white balance situations, and might have been caused by shooting through the glass.)  It is easy to correct the green tint, either by using the white balance "tint" slider in raw, or by using the Image>Adjustments>Color Balance tool in Photoshop and sliding the middle slider towards magenta (and away from green).  If you have a calibrated monitor, just trust your eyes.  (You get a "feel" for this after awhile.)  

While I had the image in photoshop I added just a touch of selective sharpening to the area around the eyes, and then adjusted the white point slider in Levels to brighten the image just a touch.  Finally I converted (not assigned) the color space to sRGB for posting to the web.  Here's the updated image:

A King With His Queen
Photographed by Jack Powers

Thank you Jack for sharing this wonderful image.  When I see an image like this with so much character, and so much potential, I sometimes like to see if I can make it even stronger with a few post processing tweaks.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:04:25 PM by keithsnell »