Author Topic: Photojournalism  (Read 1372 times)

Chris

Photojournalism
« on: November 23, 2010, 08:24:07 AM »
I think most everyone here knows I'm taking photojournalism this semester. I'm a business student and took the class because I needed non-business electives and it sounded like fun. It has been fun and challenging. Taking pictures has been the easy part. It's finding out who the people are and what they're doing and writing cutlines that was the challenging part. I don't like approaching people I don't know, so it has been good experience to step out of my comfort zone.

We didn't have our usual class meeting lastnight. We had 1 on 1 discussions with the instructor. My photo story isn't coming along very well and i'm running out of time but, that's another story. He really liked my sports photo (and most of the others too). It was due lastnight. My current grade is an A. He thinks I'm a good photographer and journalist and suggested that I take some more journalism classes. That wasn't such a surprise. Most of the instructors suggest that you continue in their program if you show any ability or interest at all. They want to keep their enrollment up. I want to get done asap though so don't think I'll add a 21 hour minor. That would be 2 more semesters.

The thing that surprised me was that he suggested I apply for a job with the school paper. He also said to be sure to use him as a reference. He doesn't seem to be a person that would be a reference for just anyone so the fact that he offered made me feel pretty good. I think it would be fun and it would be good experience but I don't know if I could devote enough time to it. I think I'll send in the application and at least talk to them and see what happens.

The thing I'm concerned about is turning a fun hobby into a job. I did that with computers and now after 10 years of working with them all day everyday I just don't care to play with them much any more. They have become nothing more than a tool to do a job rather than something that's fun to learn more about.

Edit: Something else I didn't like so much about the class was having to get a specific type of picture, by the due date. I prefer to take the camera with me on a whim rather than on a schedule. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:40:02 AM by Chris »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Photojournalism
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
The thing I'm concerned about is turning a fun hobby into a job. I did that with computers and now after 10 years of working with them all day everyday I just don't care to play with them much any more. They have become nothing more than a tool to do a job rather than something that's fun to learn more about.

Edit: Something else I didn't like so much about the class was having to get a specific type of picture, by the due date. I prefer to take the camera with me on a whim rather than on a schedule. :)

I'd say go with your instincts (and experience) on this one.  There is definitely a danger with turning an enjoyable hobby into a "job."  You are right in that is shifts the emphasis from "fun" to "work."  (It can still be fun, but not the same kind of carefree fun that it was as a hobby.)

Keith