Author Topic: The NEW Nikon D7000 - Good news / Bad news  (Read 27652 times)

Cindy Miller Hopkins

The NEW Nikon D7000 - Good news / Bad news
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:11:57 PM »
GOOD NEWS - Well, I just got my new D7000 a few days ago and have been playing with it. It is very light weight (compared to my two very heavy D2x's that I LOVE) but it does seem to be well made and hardy. The SD double card door works smoothly and seems to have a good lock on it. The buttons are very similar to my D2x and D200, so the learning curve is not too bad. The large viewing screen is very bright and clear. They have a new way of displaying image information that I find quite handy (shows everything on one screen.) I have not tried the 1080 HD video yet, but it is the real reason I got this camera. Canon has been out with a 1080 HD pro camera for almost a year and Nikon is way behind the curve on that one. Nothing worse than getting behind my pro Canon shooters! I was planning on taking it on a quick trip to Barcelona next week .... but ...

BAD NEWS - Apparently, Nikon has changed the NEF raw files ... and Adobe CS3 or CS4 will not display the new file format yet! Yeeks! I shot a project all morning in RAW for a workshop that I will be teaching soon and low and behold when I up-loaded them to my computer, they would not display in Bridge. Did all the normal stuff ... went to Adobe to be sure I had the very latest version - but still no go. Adobe / CS4 and or Lightroom will not open the image to even change or re-save the image as a Jpeg ... so right now I'm sorta screwed ;( I have been online for the past few hours and I'm not the only one with this problem. Apparently, Adobe is working on a "patch" but it is not out yet - TBD ... uggggggggg. Seems like a nice camera ... but it looks like they released it a little too soon without all their ducks in a row. I also tried to buy a second back-up battery to take with me ... BUT they are not on the market yet. Really? Why would you release a new camera and not have availability to get an additional battery?

Any advise or additional information from other Spirit of Photography users as to information about the Adobe patch would be greatly appreciated. THANKS.

Once the software will actually talk to the camera and computer ... and everybody "gets along and plays nice" I will give you all a better review of the camera.

Cindy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:19:55 PM by Cindy Miller Hopkins »

Chris

Re: The NEW Nikon D7000 - Good news / Bad news
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »
Congrats on the new camera. I wish mine would get here. I've been watching this whole product launch fiasco closely. Right now it looks like the only thing you can do is install the view nx2 software that came with the camera and convert it to jpg or maybe tif. Not sure what all the options are because I haven't used the software yet. The other option is to shoot jpg or raw+jpg. I think the extra battery shortage is kind of crazy. You think they'd have loads of them ready to sell since it's completely new.

I'm really disappointed in the way this whole thing has played out. It makes me less confident in Nikon as a company. I have no doubt the camera will perform well but it makes me wonder if there will be good service if I need it. I contacted my retailer about my order today and they still have no idea when they will get their shipment. They say they have not received any information from Nikon. At this point I don't think it makes sense to cancel and try to get it from somewhere else. They will get them at some point. Best Buy is supposedly sold out. All the other retailers will ship theirs to fill their current orders. Who knows when the next round of cameras will arrive in the USA and they still have the rest of the world to supply.

To make things even less exciting for me, http://bythom.com/ says Nov. 1 there will be a rebate on the 70-300mm lens with the purchase of the D7000. It would not have bothered me if the camera had shipped with the lens when I ordered it or even a little later when the other vendors started selling them, and before I knew about the rebate. If I don't get the camera before the rebate is available I'm going to be even less happy. I have half a mind to return the 70-300 and reorder when the cameras come in. I have to wait anyway I might as well get the discount.

I also asked them about changing my order to the D90. It's available now and has a $250 discount with the 70-300 and they said they could adjust my order and apply the instant rebate, That would give me a good camera now at a much lower price but I really want the D7000.

I have bought a number of high demand electronics at launch over the years. I know they aren't always perfect and not everyone is able to get the hot new toy on the first day but, this is the worst one I have been part of. It also has the highest price tag so I guess I just expected a better launch from a company that has been around as long as Nikon.

I am sure it would been less agrivating if I had just ordered the camera instead of having 2 new lenses and a flash sitting in a bag just waiting for a camera that won't be here for who knows how long.

Sorry for the rant. I hope my first part helps.
:)
Chris
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:38:27 PM by Chris »

Chris

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1010/10102503adobecameraraw.asp

Lightroom 3.3 RC1 is available for download today. It's supposed to suppord D7000 and several other new cameras.
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom3-3.html

I don't know if you're interested in pre-release software but it usually works pretty well. I'm not sure how it will affect your current installation of lightroom. If you have a second computer it might be worth a try.

Camera Raw 6.3 may be another option. It is also a release candidate.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw6-3/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:35:49 PM by Chris »

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 07:59:32 PM »
Good information Chris.

Cindy, I'd go with the release candidates of ACR 6.3 that Chris provided the link for.   I can't remember if you upgraded to CS 5 yet, but as usual with Adobe, the newer versions of ACR will only work with the latest versions of Photoshop.  (Forces that constant software upgrade, so Adobe gets your money one way or another :-) ).

While this might be the first time you all have experienced this type of release fiasco, I've experienced much worse in the past.  It comes with being on the "bleeding edge," or one of the "early adapters."  I am surprised however, that Nikon hasn't released an updated version of Capture NX 2.  I can only guess that they hit some last minute snags with the software testing that held up the release. 

There's always the free version of View NX that came with the camera.  It does a fine job converting the D7000 NEFs, you just have to save them out as a high quality TIFF or JPEG before bringing them into Photoshop.

Adobe is actually getting much better about releasing updates for the new cameras than they ever have been in the past.  Given the popularity of the D7000, I suspect many people will "feel the pain" of waiting on Adobe to work out the kinks.  (Happens every time.  Adobe really blew it with the early versions of ACR with their implementation of processing for the Nikon D3 files, which drove a lot of people to other alternatives.)

Keith

Chris

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »
While this might be the first time you all have experienced this type of release fiasco, I've experienced much worse in the past.  It comes with being on the "bleeding edge," or one of the "early adapters."  I am surprised however, that Nikon hasn't released an updated version of Capture NX 2.  I can only guess that they hit some last minute snags with the software testing that held up the release.  
Thanks Keith. I know it could be much worse.  
I was just getting a little frustrated. :)
This is my first Nikon purchase and a big one at that. They just haven't made the best first impression. If they would release some kind of statement it would help.

Edit: Maybe I'm just too used to getting a tracking number as soon as I order something. lol Good thing we're not waiting on the pony express i guess. I would have different expectations though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:23:41 PM by Chris »

Cindy Miller Hopkins

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:50:38 AM »
Thanks all ... yes, last night, while I was thinking clearly ... I was able to open the files in ViewNX2 and convert them to Jpegs for my workshop. Whew. Thanks for the links Chris, I will check them out. I have not up-graded to CS5 yet ... waiting for my next royalty check (Keith, you know all about that!). Hopefully, it should cover the cost of the camera, my up-grade AND a pizza! ... might be wishful thinking, but I have a few nice photo sales that should be on this one ;)

I did call Adobe ... waited on hold for 48 mins! ... talked to India TWICE ... their answer is "should be out soon" .... but no real answer.

Personally, I would hold out for the D7000 and not change your order to the D90. I have several friends with the D90 and it's indeed a fine camera, but when this all shakes out I think the 1080 HD and other features will keep the D7000 at the head of the pack. The body has a nicer feel than the D90 and I think that body material is a bit higher quality. It just feels tighter to me. It's also rated much better in dust & moisture protection, which is very important to me and to most buyers that plan on shooting the camera for years to come.

My plan is to take it to Europe and play with it. I normally shoot in just RAW, but I will shoot in RAW and FINE until the software can catch up to the camera. At leas this way I can access my images while on the road ... but still have my RAW files for later.

Chris

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:21:35 AM »
I'm glad you were able to get it to work.

I got good news today! I'm 90% happier with my situation now. I decided to keep my order the same. I really wanted the D7000 more than the D90 for the reasons you mentioned. This will probably be my only DSLR for as long as it lasts, and I hope that is many years. Anyway, I called the company I ordered from and asked if they had an ETA yet. They said Nov. 23! While that's still a while to wait it's much better than unknown. That's also why I'm only 90% happier today instead of 100%. The main reason I'm so much happier is because I asked them about the $200 rebate on the 70-300mm lens with the D7000 purchase. They gave me the discount! I was prepared to argue my point and threaten to return the lens because I was still within the return period but I didn't have to. This is all working out nicely. Hopefully the ETA is accurate or better yet an over estimate.

I still wish it had been here last week though. It would have been handy Thursday night. I'll post some of the pictures I got from my current camera in the portrait assignment album. They're ok considering the poor low light performance of the P&S I have.

Chris

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Looks like you can order a battery now.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735929-REG/Nikon_27011_EN_EL15_RECHARGEABLE_LI_ION_BATTERY.html

Who knows when you'll actually get it. Price seems kind of high for a battery.

girod

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »
I think you've done it right Chris. Even Iliah Borg have already declared the D7000 to be an "excellent" camera - he was even surprised when he compared it to D3x! So, just have more patience. Keep on looking at other stores that may have it ready for delivery.

Meanwhile, start already knowing the D7000 really well.

Chris

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 07:45:09 AM »
Wont be waiting much longer! I'm so excited today!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »
Cool!  I'm very sure you will enjoy the camera.  I've been reading lots of good things about it.

Keith

Chris

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 07:45:11 PM »
I bet if I drive up to the interstate I'd see my camera go by in a big truck in just a few minutes. Too bad brown doesn't deliver on saturday. I really like their tracking though.

girod

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 03:58:51 PM »
Chris and Cindy,

I'm sure that you've been following this: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&thread=36887819

How excited are you now? Keith have cautioned to hold our horses until the raw-converter softwares have catch-up with the ISO-less D7000/K-5 sensor technology.

Here's how I understand this: When the raw-converter software becomes adequate, the digital medium (as opposed to film) paradigm in photography can now be implemented by any newbie - meaning: optimally capture the light of subject that the digital sensor can maximally record according to the photographer's pictorial intent (DOF and motion blur) and decide about exposure latitude/choices in postprocessing. So, with the D7000 - at ISO 100 all the time, pick your aperture and shutter speed, compose and focus and shoot away - only look at histogram/LCD to make sure there's no overexposure - then decide your desired exposure in postprocessing.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »
Hi Jaime,

I think you have a good understanding of the theory, as it was presented in that thread.  I'm still a bit cautious about believing that the D7000 can be considered "ISO-less."   There are concerns about quantization errors when pushing that much, and Iliah has alluded to the fact that not all the information is included in the NEF that a raw converter would need to eliminate the banding.  RPP is also the best processor to achieve this push, and folks that are using other raw processors might be deluded into thinking they can match RPPs capabilities, which isn't quite true, yet.

I'm also a bit sceptical of the need to push 6 stops in post processing.  You should expose so that you preserve "important" highlights, but there is no need to try to protect the highlights in zones 9 or 10 (and significant reason NOT to), and therefore very, very rarely a need to push 6 stops in post processing.  I think the idea of a "paradigm shift" is distractor to good photographic technique, and will encourage many photographers to become sloppy, and consequently get less than optimum results.

There's great work being done by the folks on DPreview that will help us all better understand the characteristics of our camera sensors, but I still advocate for good technique over the convenience of a not quite proven "paradigm shift."

Keith

girod

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
Thanks Keith. I should have said "So, with the D7000.......to make sure there's no unintended overexposure...".  I also see no reason to preserve zones 9 & 10 highlights.

With the D7000, doesn't it make sense though: why prefer a lower absolute exposure and lower DR with ISO higher than 100 when there's no benefit?