Author Topic: Hey from Colorado  (Read 3749 times)

WriteHeart

Hey from Colorado
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »
I've been lurking for a little while now and just put pictures in the last couple of assignments.

I am still a newbie when it comes to photography and photoshop, but I love taking pictures. I just want to be in control of the creative process instead of hoping for a good picture.

My husband and I went on the Grand Teton and Yellowstone Workshop. It was great!!!! We both learned so much! Can't wait until we can get the equipment that we got to play with on the workshop.

I started the DSLR adventure with a Pentax. Used that for a while then my hubby bought me a Canon 40D for my birthday. So cool!!! It came with a Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. We rented lenses for the workshop and now have a list of ones we want to buy. It was so much fun trying out different lenses.

Anyway, there is so much to learn. You all have some amazing pictures. Can't wait to learn from you guys.

Personally, I am 40 and live near Colorado Springs, CO. We have been married 20 years. We have two boys. The oldest one is also in to photography. It's fun to all go on photography adventures. It's usually to the zoo and sometimes walk-a-bouts around town.

Now I think I am just rambling on...I should go. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Michele

Re: Hey from Colorado
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 02:25:16 AM »
I am happy to meet you.  It sounds like fun that you are all into photography like that.   (Ok, niceties out of the way...  Give me the real scoop!!  I only know Keith and Rebecca from this site and they are just wayyyyy too nice and motivating...  Are they always like that or did they beat you with sticks until you had the right settings?)  ;D

Actually, it's funny because you met the group in person or at least some of the members.  I have never met these people face to face and don't really know much about them at all and yet I now feel connected to them via photography.  I guess with any art, you reveal a bit of yourself everytime and when others share their work, you trust and care about them a little bit more.

I can't wait to see more of your work and hope you enjoy the assignments as they push you to try a whole lot of stuff. 

As for myself, I am 41 years old, now seperated, mother of 8 year old boy/girl twins and living in Switzerland but originally French Canadian.   I used to paint but no longer have the time.  Increasingly frustrated because I was not creating anything, I picked up on an old passion, photography, and  it is now something I am aiming to make a living out as well.  However, I still feel inexperienced and try to learn as much as I can about my own equipment and techniques.   That aside, there is nothing  quite as satisfying as taking the time and just taking photos for my own sake.  Simply letting yourself go and experimenting with new ideas. 

I hope you stick around a long time.  It's a lot of fun when people join in and share their work.

Michèle

WriteHeart

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »
Michele,

Thank you for the welcome.

Believe it or not, Keith and Rebecca are just as nice and motivating in real life! They probably should have gotten the sticks out a couple of times to beat something into me, but never did. Such self control :-)

It was neat to meet people in person, but you are so right in that we reveal a bit of ourselves in our work. I love looking at what people create, especially true artists. I think I am more of a technician than an artist, but I look forward to releasing my creative side (and learning more about the technical side).

I would hate for you to feel left out though, so I will selflessly volunteer myself for a trip to come and see you. You are in Switzerland right? Well, I guess if I have to, I could force myself... :-)

I love your pictures! Keep learning, but also give yourself credit, you have beautiful pictures.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Nice to meet you,
Julie

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »
Hi Julie,

Thank you for introducing yourself to the group.  It makes for a much nicer learning environment when we start to feel like friends and not strangers. 

And Michele, thank you for giving her such a warm welcome.  We now have three members from Switzerland, so we might need to plan a trip over there in the next couple of years.  I traveled through Switzerland a bit when I was in high school, but I imagine everything has changed quite a bit since then (oh so long ago  :) ).  I want the kids to see as much of the world as possible, so maybe after McKenzie gets old enough that she'll remember the trip...

I'll look forward to seeing more of your images Julie.  I'm one of the believers that everyone has the potential to be creative, you just have to nurture that part of your mind and help it grow.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »
Hey Keith,

I know there is me and Roland.  Roland is a guy that I met sometime in May when I took a picture of that little bridge.  I recommended the site and I know he joined.  That is pretty cool.  There is also the father of a friend of mine that I recommended he should join the site but I don't know if he did or not.  Who is the third member?

(Only curious...  Tee hee) 

You see, I mention this site's name all the time with people who may be interested in photography either to look at or to learn.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:54:49 AM »
Hi Michele,

Our newest member, Luc Bigler is from Switzerland.  His profile information says that he lives in the city of Alle, in Jura, Switzerland.  He's only been a member for a couple of days.

(Thank you for mentioning the site to people.  It takes a certain amount of participation in order to make this an interesting place to visit.)

Keith
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:57:05 AM by keithsnell »

Michele

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:21:16 AM »
That's him.  It's my beautiful model's father.   I had a feeling he would join us.  Cool!  I'm so glad.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:26:24 AM by Michele »

WriteHeart

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »
Michele,

I don't have a website yet. But I am involved in another photo challenge group (not as nice as this one). Anyway, some of my pics can be seen there. My site there is http://www.dpchallenge.com/profile.php?USER_ID=70484
I am WriteHeart there too.

Julie

Michele

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »
I was just salivating over your lens collection...  Quite impressive.  Then I read that you borrow or rent them.  I thought to myself, smart, I wish I could get them that way too.  Very cool.

WriteHeart

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 07:52:50 AM »
I wish I owned them...it's pretty much my wish list right now. It was worth it though for the workshop to have some good lenses. My 28-135 just would not have cut it. I am glad I rented though because I really got to see which lenses I want first, and which ones I don't want to waste the money on.

Is there no rental available out there? That would stink. I have used it 2x now and it has helped me to decide what lenses I want to sink the money into (not that I have any yet, but when I do).