Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Triptych" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2644 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were to create a triptych or series of three panels composed of images that not only present a cohesive image when displayed together, but are able to stand as strong compositions when displayed on their own.  The triptych could also be defined as something composed or presented in three parts or three related views.  

I hope, that like me, you found that the assignment expanded your compositional skills, perhaps causing you to look at a scene or series of images a bit differently and visualize how they might fit into a tri-panel presentation.  One of the best things about these assignments is that they keep me looking, and thinking, about composition.  I'd like to think that continually exercising my visualization skills will make me a better photographer.

I'd like to thank all of you that submitted such inspirational images for the assignment.  Your submissions were simply amazing, and helped me to see new creative possibilities in the world around me.  

Morning Cattle Drive
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Dave Leiker started us on our wonderful journey through this assignment with his Morning Cattle Drive image.  This was a beautiful image that let many of us share the feeling of Dave's incredible morning on the cattle drive.  It did bother me a bit that Dave cut the cow in half with his division of the two panels on the right of the triptych, so I wondered if there might be a different way to split the panels.  I played with the image a bit in Photoshop, and came up with a different composition that potentially allows each of the three panels to stand alone, and saved the poor cow from being cut in half.  However, I suspect one of Dave's objectives was to illustrate the vast, open expanse of grassland, and I recognize I lost some of that affect with my tighter cropping.  Still, it is a useful exercise to examine different crops/divisions and how they affect the overall impression.  (Please excuse the vertical lines through the two side panels, I was a bit sloppy in "re-stitching" the images together.)

Morning Cattle Drive
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust), alternate crop/division by Keith

Lars' Ghost meeting image was a wonderfully imaginative triptych; however I must confess that the first time I viewed the image, I missed the "ghosts" in the left panel of the image.  Once Michele pointed out the ghosts, the lightbulb came on and I had to smile at Lars' ingenuity.  I wonder if a "zoomed in" version of this image with less grass in the foreground might have made it easier for viewers to see the crux of the image (the ghosts)?

Ghost meeting
Photographed by Lars

Michele's Childhood Games triptych was a fun take on a child's game.  It took me a minute to figure out the "rock, scissors, paper," key to the image, so perhaps a larger. more easily identified rock might have helped me decipher the image?  I think Dave describe the image best, saying "I like the poetic mystery of it, the way it leaves space for us to enter into it and find our own meanings."  I agree, it does have a mystery to it, and a definite sense of "mood."  This image evokes more feeling, and is more thought provoking than most of the other images submitted for the assignment, and those two attributes are a great indication that this triptych was a success.

Childhood Games
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Dave's Morning Cattle Drive 2 submission was an absolutely awesome triptych that illustrated exactly what the genre is all about.  Each of the panels was a great composition on its own, but when displayed together as a triptych the images provided a much stronger sense of what a cattle drive is all about, with the two side panels providing wonderful framing for the center panel.  The "atmospheric perspective" created by the fog provided a great sense of depth and timeless feel to the images.  I've selected this image as Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.  Wonderful job Dave, and I still want to talk about buying a framed version of this to give as a gift.

Morning Cattle Drive 2
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit

I loved Lars' playful Windows triptych.  This image illustrates that being able to "see" a composition is a prerequisite for our creativity.  I also like the way the Lars breaks from convention by not being afraid to use panels of different sizes.  This image works great as a natural triptych, is fun and playful, and helps us realize that paying attention to visual components around us will open up many more opportunities for great compositions.

Windows triptych
Photographed by Lars

Michele's Family Shoes triptych was another playful submission that made me smile.  The addition of Lauren's feet to the line of shoes made a wonderful punch line.  It takes a real artist to create a humorous image done tastefully.  With images like this you can't help but get a sense that a little bit of the artist's personality is shining through, and its a great lesson that life can be wonderful if we let ourselves find humor and smiles in the mundane.

Family Shoes
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Rebecca's View from a Bench triptych was a great example of visualizing a concept, taking the images to support that concept, and then struggling to make it work.  If you remember back to the initial submission, Rebecca had the images much closer together, and there was too much discontinuity between the center and the sides.  Dave recommended using a frame to separate the images, and was kind enough to process the triptych into the version you see below. The separation of the frame allows us to view the center panel as a separate image, while still within the context of the "view from the bench."  Good job Rebecca and Dave.

"View from a Bench"
Photographed by Rebecca

Dave's triptych of The Ways of Light was another amazing submission that revealed a true artist behind the lens.  I've always believed that in order to produce truly great photographs, you must have an emotional connection with the subject.  Dave's treatment of this subject, and the care that he put into post processing to bring out the rich colors and textures, gives the viewer the sense that there is a deeper meaning, and rich history to these rooms.  These images were taken in very challenging lighting, and it is a testament to Dave's mastery of his craft that he was able to produce such evocative images in this challenging light.  Dave posted a link to a larger version of the image that allows the viewer to better appreciate the rich tones and textures.  If you haven't viewed the version at the link, you really should take a moment and do so.  http://www.prairiepathways.com/way_of_light.html.

The Ways of Light

I feel like I've used "amazing" too many times already in this post, but what better superlative can I use to describe Marilyn's Reflections of architecture triptych?  Maybe, "mind-bending" would be an appropriate description of her image of the reflection of the Brain Center. :)  This image was the well deserved selection as People's Choice, and I've awarded it Editor's choice for Artistic Merit.  This image has wonderful dimensionality and depth that just sucks the viewer right in, and manages to keep them engaged as they move from panel to panel trying to decipher the reflections.  Marilyn did an awesome job, first seeing the possibilities, and then composing the image to emphasize the natural triptych.  I love the contrast between the wildly abstract reflections and the solid reality of the stone facade.  Amazing, awesome, mind-bending composition Marilyn!

Reflections of architecture
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Marilyn's Architectural mysteries meet mysteries of the brain triptych was OK too.  Actually it was a great triptych, just in the unfortunate position of having to follow the superlative sapping Reflections triptych.  :)  The feature that "made" this triptych (other than the amazing architecture of the building itself) was the way that Marilyn composed and arranged the images so that the curve in the left panel continued on through the center panel.  I would have loved to see this curve continue on through the third panel too, but perhaps the lines of the building didn't lend themselves to that effect.  Thank you for sharing images of this amazing feat of architecture Marilyn, I would love to see the building in person someday.

Architectural mysteries meet mysteries of the brain
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Lars' aptly named Dark forces TripTyCh was a great example of how color and tonality can be used to emphasize a mood or feeling.  We definitely do get the sense that there are dark forces at play in this eerie image.  Great job creating a mood Lars.

Dark forces TrIpTyCh
Photographed by Lars

My Beef Cattle triptych was a simple series of images that "tell a story," created after the fact from images I had snapped throughout our weekend at the ranch.  As Dave can probably attest, it is sometimes a challenge to photograph and "work cattle" at the same time.  The other workers only have so much patience until they want you put away the camera and get on with the real work (or get out of the way).  :)

Beef Cattle
Photographed by Keith

Another "story telling" triptych, which I included only after prompting from Rebecca.  These images actually aren't in chronological order, but I rearranged them to better tell the story.  I'll have to make sure I don't bore you all with too many images of Evan and McKenzie.

Ice Cream - Good to the Laaaast Drop!
Photographed by Keith

It was great to see a submission from Ellen (jecc), who did an awesome job capturing her Thunderbird images.  As Rebecca mentioned, the Thunderbirds scream over the stadium with very little warning, and it's tough to capture such great images.  Awesome job Ellen!

Thunderbirds Triptych
Photographed by Ellen Croak (jecc)

Erik's Pastoral triptych captured a wonderful "sense of place and time," and evoked memories of similar afternoons in the foothills of the Rockies.  The atmospheric perspective provided by the clouds in front of the mountains, and the linear perspective provided by the diminishing road and telephone poles provided a great sense of depth, while the "low key" tonality added to the moodiness of the scene.  The diagonal line on the left edge of the road pulled the three images together very nicely.  Nicely done Eric.

Pastoral
Photographed by Erik Black

Thank you again to everyone that participated in the assignment.  You inspire me, and help me resolve to make the time to get out and photograph.

Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith

P.S.
I almost forgot about Sue Pepin's triptych of Bodie & Buddy.   Sue submitted the image after the voting started, but I still wanted to acknowledge this great triptych. As Rebecca mentioned, the "unifying element" in this series of images was the background, and having the dogs face inwards for the side panels was an effective way to frame the triptych and keep the viewer's attention within the composition.  Great job Sue

Bodie & Buddy
Photographed by Sue Pepin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:40:47 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Keith, that is a MUCH better split than I came up with.  I can't believe I dissected that poor cow like that - right through the gizzard!  Following your recommendation I did create a print version of the Morning Cattle Drive #2.  Once printed, the center image was a bit too mottled to please me (side effect sometimes of dense fog) but I substituted another image and it works pretty good.  It's hanging in Cottonwood Falls at the moment where, for whatever reason, they have about a 3 foot space between the individual elements.   I find myself steadily improving under the influence of your counsel, and also exposure to the great work and friendship of the other members here.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:58:53 PM by prairiedust »
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thanks Dave,

I'd love to see that print sometime.  Will the gallery be open on Sunday?  If so, maybe Rebecca and I can swing by there on our way to or from Emporia.

You all inspire me to keep learning and improving. 

Keith

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
This friday, 5 to 7 is the second "grand opening", then Saturday until around 4 p.m. - but no Sunday opening.  The rest of the week is a bit nebulous, but I think it's usually going to be something like Wed-Fri, 11--4.  There are four photographers in the mix plus a historical display.  I print smaller than the others, and think I need to go larger scale. The triptych is two 11x14s and one 14x24 (framed size). It's a cool little town with an incredible steak house (Grand Central Hotel) and lots of art.  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:25:23 PM by prairiedust »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thanks!  I'll have to check with the woman that manages my schedule.  :)  I'm sure she will find a way to squeeze it in.

keithsnell

• Administrator
"The woman" wants to know if you and Cheryl would like to meet for dinner in Cottonwood Falls on Friday night, or perhaps on Sunday after the show in Emporia?

Michele

Thank you, Keith, once again, for all the great feedback.   Also, I still get very hungry when I look at your triptych!

Way to go, Marilyn.  So cool!!!  It is a really fascinating triptych!  You can really spend a lot of time staring at those windows but I what I really love ist that brick!   

Hey Dave,  I never noticed the poor little cow being cropped either, how could you do that, Dave?  Poor little thing...   It's like an omen for things to come for it.   :-\  Both triptychs were of the cattle drive were beautiful but your Ways of Light has such a feel and cool look to it, I just had to say that again.  I like that style of photo a lot.

I wish you all a great day!

Michèle

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Yeah, but... but... Keith split his all the way into barbecue bites.

marilyn

Thanks for the supportive comments everyone!   I have to say I benefitted so much on this triptych assignment from the expertise and guidance of Dave, Michele, and Keith. In a way, I feel like I cheated a bit with the reflections image since it wasn't 3 separate images (I know, it didn't have to be - I just wanted to do one with 3 images put together and was challenged by my lack of technical know-how.)  Getting the suggestion to use columns in a table was a breakthrough.  Thanks, Keith!  Then to have both Dave and Michele create the triptych for me was awesome.  Dave, I've been swamped with our writing project institute plus a couple of other projects, so haven't had a chance to visit the site you sent, but I will very soon.  I've had such fun showing the Spirit of Photography site to the teachers in our institute and who knows, there may be some new members one of these days.  Again, thanks again for being there - everyone.  I love this site!!  And I concur with other assessments that this assignment inspired some amazing pieces of work!!