Author Topic: "Wild!" Weekly Photography Assignment for 26 April - 2 May 2010  (Read 3364 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
When I mentioned that I was still trying to figure out what our assignment would be for this week, Evan said he thought we should have a "wild" assignment.  According to Evan, there are four kinds of wild: wild places, wildlife, wildflowers, and wild like when you're really excited about something.

The assignment for the week of 26 April - 2 May 2010 is "Wild."  Please upload your images to the "Wild" album in the Weekly Assignments category of the Gallery no-later-than midnight, Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 2 May 2010.

Evan and I will look forward to seeing your images.  Have fun!  (And inspire me with your images of wild places.)

Keith
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:20:33 PM by keithsnell »

marilyn

Re: "Wild!" Weekly Photography Assignment for 26 April - 2 May 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »
These assignments are too fun!  Oh, and I learn a lot too!  Thank Evan for the idea; now to go play....

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:53:36 AM »
I just returned from a trip to Arkansas, and part of that time was spent exploring swamps in the eastern part of the state and some beaver dams in the Hot Springs area.  That gets a little wild, walking through the ground cover where swamp snakes hide.  I almost stepped on two BIG ones, but I think I scared them more than they did me. It's safer to stay on the trail but beaver dams aren't visible from there. Hopefully a couple usable images will come out of that, though the light wasn't that great. It was an adventure in any case.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:54:56 AM »
THAT sounds exciting!  I can't wait to see those photos!   Anyone take a photo of you and the snakes?  Tee hee.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 07:07:41 AM »
I gave my wife a Flip video camera for her birthday, and she was on the shore taking movies.  I didn't get a photo of the snakes - they were much too fast - and I'm much too slow and noisy to be a good wildlife photographer..  I only saw one snake clearly. I looked it up in one of my books this morning and it looked like a cottonmouth, which are common in areas like that. After retreating into the water it raised its head for a moment, and it had that distrinctive pit viper shape.  Nasty things, but I've never really been afraid of snakes. Then again, I've never been bitten.  The dangers need to be respected, and I was wearing heavy boots, though they don't go very high, and I was testing areas ahead of me with the end of my monopod (especially after rousing the first snake).  I'll bet Keith and Rebecca are careful when they're out photographing bears.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:08:27 AM by prairiedust »
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »
 :(

No snake?

Well, I still want to see them anyways...  I like this first one.  I see a new gallery being born...

sue.pepin

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
Oh my, snakes!  Evan will love this assignment.  On our last outing he proudly pointed out 'rattler' holes and I just about died of fright.  I'll have to have my husband post any pictures I take this week just in case you have a great snake picture.

Michele

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:08:05 AM »
Hi Keith,

I have another version of "wild" that maybe a little boy might not think about.  I might be going in another direction with this, if that is ok?  Wild can also be on the inside of a person.  I promise to keep it clean but can "wild" not be implied?  Through the eyes and through body language?

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:17:42 AM »
Hi Keith,

I have another version of "wild" that maybe a little boy might not think about.  I might be going in another direction with this, if that is ok?  Wild can also be on the inside of a person.  I promise to keep it clean but can "wild" not be implied?  Through the eyes and through body language?

Michèle

Yes, of course, wild can also be implied through the eyes and through body language.  (Don't forget, Evan will be watching.  :))

Keith

Michele

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 06:33:16 AM »
I promise to keep it clean.    ;)

Anyways, I think I expressed myself wrong.  What I meant to say is that it doesn't have to be wacky, it can be intense and serious, wondering what is going on the inside of the person.  I wasn't talking leather or whips...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:40:31 AM by Michele »

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »
I promise to keep it clean.    ;)

Anyways, I think I expressed myself wrong.  What I meant to say is that it doesn't have to be wacky, it can be intense and serious, wondering what is going on the inside of the person.  I wasn't talking leather or whips...
:)  Yes, intense and serious would be good.

Keith