Author Topic: Firing "strobes" and an on-camera flash simultaneously  (Read 1648 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Firing "strobes" and an on-camera flash simultaneously
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »
In a previous discussion, Michele and I talked about the possibility of using "strobes" (those big AC powered lights that studio photographers often use) and an on-camera flash simultaneously.  Yes, this is possible, with a slight adjustment on the equipment and techniques being used.  Michele currently uses an IR transmitter that mounts in her camera's hot shoe to trigger the studio strobes.  Unfortunately, this removes the possibility of using an on-camera flash at the same time.  The simple solution to this is to use a "trigger" that is fired from the PC synch connector on the camera.  On the Canon 50d, this synch cord connector ("PC terminal") is hidden under the "terminal cover" on the side of the camera opposite the handgrip.

Although wireless flash triggers like the PocketWizard are big bucks, a search on ebay can turn up many wireless trigger/receiver sets that will do a very decent job (albeit with somewhat shorter ranges).  The typical working range for these wireless radio units is in the 30 meter range.  I've been using one of these units for four or five years now, and have found it sufficient for my needs.  Here's a link to a potential candidate on ebay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/4-channel-Wireless-Flash-Trigger-set-for-Studio-Strobe_W0QQitemZ230369003268QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Flash_Accessories?hash=item35a3100704  The trigger and receiver set sell for $14.95 with free shipping.  How's that for a bargain, especially when compared to the $400 plus cost of the PocketWizard set.  There are several other comparable sets for sale on ebay, including  this unit that includes a slightly more flexible way of connecting to the studio strobe.

If you use fresh batteries (I recommend using non-rechargeable batteries in the receiver, since the voltage on rechargeable batteries is typically a little too low for effective operation) I've found these units to be fairly reliable over the four or five years I have been using them.  (Much more reliable than IR triggers, in fact.)  My older unit uses AA batteries for the receiver instead of the AAA batteries of these more modern units.  If you can find the AA units, they might be a little more "battery friendly."

Although the trigger unit is designed to mount on the camera's hot shoe, it can also be fired via the PC terminal, which allows you to use an on-camera flash as a "fill" light, with your strobes as the primary light.  If you are connecting the trigger unit via the PC terminal of the camera, you can simply strap (or tape) the trigger unit onto your on-camera flash or flash bracket where it will be out of the way.   I've used a similar setup, although I substitute two SB-80 battery powered flash units firing into an umbrella for the "strobe."

I would also recommend getting an additional receiver unit, since this gives you the flexibility of adding a second strobe or another remote flash to the setup.

I hope this short explanation helps.  If you have any questions, please ask.

Keith
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:46:34 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

Re: Firing "strobes" and an on-camera flash simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:59:32 PM »
That is very cool.  Thank you for looking it up for me like that.  I am buying two.

Thanks.

Michèle