Author Topic: "Zone VI," Weekly Photography Assignment for 8 - 14 March 2010  (Read 20101 times)

Dave

Re: "Zone VI," Weekly Photography Assignment for 8 - 14 March 2010
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2010, 12:31:26 PM »
Yeah, I think you're exactly right Keith, I can't wait to get one and experiment. I think that most of the considerable number of shots I took that day lacked something because I was throwing a dark shadow over the subject. I have the feeling that I have many years of trying things, before I finally get in a photograph, what I see with my eyes!

marilyn

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »
Whew!  I finally found your pictures, Dave!  I agree that the 3rd (direct sun) really does create an image that pops.  I also like the 3rd. Sounds like you didn't have the shading example though, huh?  I look forward to seeing more images along this line if you get an opportunity to create some.  Thanks!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2010, 09:13:05 PM »
Hi Marilyn,

Sorry I wasn't able to provide much help with where to find the pictures.  I was stumped trying to figure out how to provide a link.  I finally figured out that I could have just typed in the link and told you to copy it and paste it into your web browser.  That would have gotten you directly to the images you were asking about.  I'll know better next time, and try to be more helpful.

(The last security update I did on the gallery disabled the ability to provide direct links in image comments, so I will have to figure out a new solution.)

Keith

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
A diffuser, as Keith mentioned, can give a balanced light.  Flower petals often show  a cell structure that captures the light and adds a bit of sparkle. That gets obscured with shading, but hard direct light can overpower the subtlety of blossoms.  The clear textured plastic diffusion panels made to go over ceiling flourescent light fixtures gives a very pretty light, and can be found in most hardware stores for a few bucks. It softens the light while still passing a specular quality that keeps definition in the fine details, especially the sparkle of the cell structure.  They're not the handiest things to carry around and use, of course.  I've even used'em to make ad-hoc light tents outdoors, on ground-level wildflowers.  Just arch the plastic over the plant, and place a couple tent stakes on each side to hold it in place.  That gives an extra benefit of providing a small wind break.    Of course, to use it you'll be laying prostate in the grass open to chiggers and stares from passers by.  I carry a foldable ground cover I throw down at times like that, since I really like nosing around in the weeds.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:34:50 PM by Dave Leiker »
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Dave

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
Marilyn, the 'before and after sots are the comparisons that we talked about, you can see in the 'before' shot how the sun reflection is 'blown out' and that doesn't happen in the 'after' shot. But there was no direct comparison because I was adjusting many other perameters at the same time as shading/un-shading. Hmmmm, am I making any sense?
Dave, thanks for your ideas, I was thinking that the people that made my little reflector might have a diffuser that works the same. It's one of those flexible things that just pops into shape when you take it out the case. The reflector I have works really well, I can't wait to get a bigger one of those also.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:14 AM »
The folding reflectors have to be much easier to live with. Soon after that post I got this marketing email: Amazon.com recommends "Lastolite LL LR3696 33-Inch TriFlip Kit".   The kit has a silver reflector, gold reflector, and a diffuser (all collapsable). Is it coincidence or food for the paranoid?  They (Amazon) evidently think my plastic panel idea is pretty lame.  I think I'll order it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:24:36 PM by Dave Leiker (prairiedust) »
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 08:46:22 AM »
Hi Dave,

Since you are thinking of ordering a kit...

I've been happy with my Westcott 1-stop diffuser.  Most are 2-stops, and in my opinion the 2-stop diffusers cut back too much light.  I also like the square diffusers (or triangles) better than the round ones, since they make better wind shields.

Keith

Dave

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »
Dave, lastolite is the one I have, only in the smallest 12 inch size. I'm very happy with it and would recomend it, only I have never had anything else to compare it to (this is the first I've bought).  I like the idea of buying a kit as I've been layed off for a while and the chance of saving money is very appealing, also, I will at some time need a larger reflector I'm sure.
Keith, I need to research before I buy, thanks for the recomendation. On the stop value of the diffuser....I imagine the amount of ambient light making a difference as to how much light you'd need to hold back? Having said that, I'm thinking that a lighter diffuser as you said would be better than darker.This stuff is all new to me, so I'm happy for the time bieng to play with what I have and learn what I can from it :)

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 10:15:55 AM »
Hi Dave,

I've found that the 2-stop diffusers put too much "shade" on the scene for my taste.  Not only does this change the quality of the light, but it also changes the white balance of the scene (much like your white balance changes when you are in shade vs direct sunlight).  Given the choice, I always find myself going for the 1-stop diffuser.  That said, the 2-stop diffuser does double duty as a reflector, so it has some use too.  :)  I often use them together, with the 1-stop performing diffusion duties and the 2-stop "diffuser" used as a reflector to add a bit more soft light and "modeling" to the scene.

They are fun to play with, especially when photographing wildflowers.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2010, 12:51:59 AM »
Hey Dave, is that you in the itty bitty little icon picture?  From what I see, it looks like a rough life...

Dave

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2010, 06:54:35 AM »
I have no profile pic as yet Michele, there aren't many pics of me as I'm kind of camera shy, most of them are of my back lol. I guess I should upload one sometime soon.

Dave

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2010, 07:18:34 AM »
Well, I tried to upload a profile pic, all to no avail I'm afraid. Oh well :P

Michele

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2010, 07:20:23 AM »
Hi Keith,

Another flash question.  Should I set my camera so that flash goes on the first or second window?  (It is currently set for the second window.)

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2010, 08:42:43 AM »
Hi Keith,

Another flash question.  Should I set my camera so that flash goes on the first or second window?  (It is currently set for the second window.)

Michèle

Hi Michele,

I typically have my flash set for "first curtain sync," unless I am using the flash in conjunction with a very slow shutter speed.  If I'm using a slow shutter speed, then "second curtain sync" often works better because it will show a soft motion blur following any subject that is moving, which looks more natural that having a motion blur in front of the object.  If this doesn't make sense please ask questions and I will try to clarify.

Keith

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2010, 08:44:55 AM »
Well, I tried to upload a profile pic, all to no avail I'm afraid. Oh well :P

Hi Dave,

I'll troubleshoot the software to see if there is an issue with uploading profile pics.  I may have broken that function when I did the last security update.  I'll test it out and let you know.

Keith