Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Food for the Soul" Assignment  (Read 1852 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Food for the Soul" Assignment
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »
The guidelines for this assignment were to post an image of something that provides food for your soul, recharges you, and makes you whole again.  Thank you to everyone that participated, I enjoyed seeing your images, and learning what "recharges" you.

Thank you to everyone that voted for my Garden of the Gods image for People's Choice.  This image, and the morning I spent photographing there have special meaning to me.  As I left Garden of the Gods and began my 1400 mile drive to Reno, Nevada for the North American Nature Photographer's conference, I had thoughts and emotions welling up inside me that I wanted to share with you all.  I should have pulled over to the side of the road and written down those thoughts, because now that so much time has past they no longer have the urgency they had on that day.  Next time I vow to write down my thoughts before the emotion ebbs.  Someday I will find the time to write about how important it is for my soul to remain connected to nature, and how photography helps facilitate that connection.

Garden of the Gods
People's Choice
Photographed by Keith

I enjoyed Rebecca's Snowman image, and can imagine her smile of pure child-like joy as she built the snowman.  Imagining that smile makes me fall in love with her all over again.

Snowman
Photographed by Rebecca

I enjoyed Lars' image of Mother Nature's Food for the Soul as well, and could imagine myself walking along the path by the water.  I'm glad Lars included the path in his composition, because without it, it would be much harder to imagine myself in that beautiful location.  I might have tried to compose this image by shifting a little bit to the right to avoid cutting off the rock in the lower left corner (by eliminating it from the composition), and including just a bit more of the curve of the path in the far distance.

Mother Nature's Food for the Soul
Photographed by Lars

I have a new wide-gamut display, and the phonograph cartridge in Lars' Food for the Mind image has a super saturated "day-glow" pink color on that monitor.  I noticed the image didn't have an embedded color profile, and when I opened the image in Photoshop and assigned a profile of AdobeRGB the image looked much more natural.  Now that more and more people are acquiring wide gamut monitors, it will be even more important for us to embed a color profile in our images, otherwise they will be super-saturated when displayed on a wide-gamut display.

Food for the Mind
Photographed by Lars

Sue's image of Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies, made my mouth water, so it definitely was a successful image.  The cookie in the center of the frame is sharply defined; however the cookie in the background is in that "partially in focus" range that I find distracting.  You should strive to have your background be in focus (smaller aperture) or smoothly out of focus (larger aperture).  The reality is that it is tough to get much depth of field when you are photographing with a 150mm focal length at close range.  I doubt if going down to an aperture of f16 would have given enough depth of field, so that leaves shooting at a larger aperture as your only option.  A lens with a "tilt" function would work well in this situation, as would "focus stacking" as discussed in the front page article on the site, or you could use a larger aperture and blur the background so that it is softer and less distracting.  But these are only suggestions on how to make an already successful image even better.

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies
Photographed by Sue Pepin

Rick was smart to stack the nut bars in his Cranberry Nut Bars image, since this enabled him to place the cranberry nut bars within the depth of field of his selected lens and aperture and obtain an acceptably sharp reproduction of the important parts of his composition.  This image has great color and contrast, and acceptable sharpness.  Good job Rick.

Cranberry Nut Bars
Photographed by Rick Pepin

I liked the arrangement of elements within Sheila's Food for my Soul image, although I couldn't quite figure out how she did it.  :)

Food for My Soul
Photographed by Sheila Anchetta

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment, and thank you for sharing what makes you "tick."

Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:55:48 PM by keithsnell »

sue.pepin

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Food for the Soul" Assignment
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:55 PM »
Keith, I agree with your comments.  I like to print out your articles, especially when you have pictures to illustrate the instructions.  When I print, the text shows but your pictures/graphics do not.  I end up copying the instructions/pictures and then paste into Word.  Is there a way you can add a print feature w/graphics on the web site?

Sue

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
Hi Sue,

Currently the best way to print out both the text and the images is to do just like you are currently doing, which is to cut and paste into word.  I'll try to add a better print feature sometime in the future, but it isn't something that is easy to do.  Unfortunately part of the issue is due to the way the "bulletin board code" is used to embed images on the page.  I'll have a lot of software coding to do in order to change that.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but in the short term the best way to print is to copy into Word just like you are doing.

Keith

sue.pepin

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »
Keith, don't worry about it then.  I'm probably the only person doing it anyway.  It's not a big deal for me and it sounds much to labor intensive for you.  Besides, you have better things to do!