Author Topic: Los Angeles, California saying hi...  (Read 1979 times)

kewk

Los Angeles, California saying hi...
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
Been checking this board out for a few days now and while a small community it seems to be a very nice and constructive community. So I thought it was time to register and join you guys.

A bit about me:

I just bought my D90 in late may but have been reading about photography for much longer than that. I have worked in the video game industry for 10+ years and have gained quite a bit of a creative eye from making trailers and taking press screenshots for games I have worked on. I've always wanted to get into photography but whenever I was ready to drop some cash on it something else would come up. So finally in May I just went for it. :)

I am very into abstract photography, HDR, Portraits, and Architecture. I have some of my work up on http://www.flickr.com/photos/kewk/ (if you see anything you like please let me know :) ) but I have a bunch more sitting around waiting for the right inspiration and/or new PP techniques that I learn to help push those in the direction that will make them interesting. I am very critical of my work and hold back a lot. I guess I am just very very picky.

I hope to learn from all of you and help contribute anything I learn to this community as well. I will for sure be participating in some of the weekly photography assignments.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Los Angeles, California saying hi...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the community.  Do you mind if I call you Patrick instead of kewk? Call me old fashioned, but I just find that more appropriate when trying to establish a sense of "community" in a small forum like this.  Lots of people sign up using pseudonyms, but we encourage people to use their real names.  It just makes for a friendlier forum.  (DP review can be a bit "argumentative" yes?)

I enjoyed looking through some of your images on flickr.  I think you will bring a fresh perspective to Spirit of Photography, and I look forward to seeing more of your images.  I would definitely enjoy seeing more of your portrait images.  I used to gravitate towards landscapes, but as I've gotten older I've come to recognize the tremendous beauty in a well done portrait.

Welcome!  And yes, please do participate in the weekly assignments.  I've found the assignments to be a great learning experience, even for the "instructor."   :)

Keith

kewk

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 07:24:32 PM »
Yes, feel free to call me Patrick :) In non-photography type forums I rarely submit my name into my profile but with photography I am submitting something personal to everyone and to help make the connection you should know who I am :)

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »
Sounds good.

We'll look forward to seeing your images.

Keith