Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Shadows" Weekly Assignment  (Read 1845 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Shadows" Weekly Assignment
« on: November 10, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »
Congratulations to MellisaBird, who's Love image was the runaway favorite for People's Choice in the "Shadows" assignment, and was selected for Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit

Love

This was a well executed image that succeeded on several levels.  Both the lighting and the compositional elements contributed to the great "depth" of this image.  The lighting on the ring gave it a three-dimensional look, and the depth conveyed by the shadow underneath made the viewer feel as if they could reach in and lift the ring off the page.  The symbolism of the ring and heart shape of the shadow provided a conceptual depth that made an emotional connection with the viewer, and drew them into the image long enough to encourage them to read the smatterings of text as well.  It was obvious that the text addressed the topic of Love, yet just enough of the text was presented to intrigue the viewer and have them realize that "Love" was being presented as a complex topic that could not be easily understood.  Very well done!  (As a very minor "constructive criticism," I felt that the engraving inside the ring was distracting and could possible have been rotated around so that it was out of the scene.)

I've awarded Honorable Mention to Becky's Shadow Rider image.  I thought this was a well done image that could have been a bit stronger if the pink pedal was removed from the scene. (Perhaps by rotating the pedals so that the pink pedal was hidden by the tire?)

Shadow Rider

Thank you again to everyone that participated in the "shadows" assignment

Keith
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:21:20 PM by keithsnell »

Lars

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Shadows" Weekly Assignment
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:16:33 PM »
 I have seen many versions of the ring on the bible with the heart shadow they are all inspirational.
 I wonder who originated it?
 Anyway, this is a very fine version.

Becky Jenner

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Shadows" Weekly Assignment
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
I tried to google for a copywrite to the heart/ring shadow but only came up with alot more renditions of the shot.Some even did it with double rings.We too had decided the inside engraving was a distraction but it was so last minute,she didn't have time to redo it.The ring is actually my husbands wedding band that I wear on my thumb and it was the only one I could get off at the moment.
As for the peddle in my "Shadow Rider" shot....the sun was not in my favor that day unfortunatly and very shortly after getting the few pics I did,the sun disappeard and it rained for the next 3 days.So-yes,I agree with Keith,it's distracting,but I had fun trying! Thanks again to all who may have voted and your inspirational comments! Hope to see alot more of our registered members posting pictures in the assignments!I'm by far not a pro at this,I just give it my best "shot"!
Also... I don't have the opportunity to travel abroad and very much enjoy everyones pictures because that's my only way to "Travel"!
Becky