Author Topic: New "Picture Controls" for D3, D300 and D700  (Read 5235 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
New "Picture Controls" for D3, D300 and D700
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:18:24 AM »
Nikon has made two new "Picture Controls" (Landscape, and Portrait) available for download at this link:  http://nikonimglib.com/opc/index.html.en

The Landscape picture control is said to provide results that are slightly less saturated than Vivid, while the Portrait picture control is supposed to provide results that have a bit more contrast than the Neutral picture control.  Always good to have more options!

Keith

rod1

Re: New "Picture Controls" for D3, D300 and D700
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:19:20 PM »
Hello Keith, am getting to be a dab hand at this downloading/uploading firmware 'stuff'. Have just downloaded both the landscape and portrait controls onto my D300 without any problems. Don't know what difference they make yet but will 'play' with them as time progresses! Remain amazed that I shied away from uploading firmware upgrades for so long. If I can do it....anybody can! Rod.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:25:24 PM »
Rod,

Congrats on the successful download and install. 

By the way, many Pro photographers that came from the D2X like the "D2X mode" Picture Controls best on the D3 and D300.  Enough photographers complained about the "over saturated" and "too contrasty" picture controls that came with the D3 and D300, that Nikon released the "D2X mode" picture controls to allow them to emulate their "old" D2X settings.  If you are feeling adventurous, you might want to give the D2X mode picture controls a try too.  (The D2X "mode 1" Picture Control is considered by some to be the best picture control available for portraits, while the D2X "mode 2" picture control is considered to be the most "accurate" color.)  These picture controls are available on the same download page as posted previously.

Keith

rod1

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:22:03 AM »
Thanks Keith. I will get around to trying them out, in due course. Interesting to note that of the 50 or so images I took this afternoon, using the 'Landscape' mode, most were over exposed! First time I have experienced this!! Rod

rod1

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 04:57:46 AM »
Threw care and reason to the wind and a) deleted the Landscape Picture Control then downloaded and installed b) DX mode 1, mode 2, & mode 3. Easier process than the other two firmware upgrades. As to the effectiveness of these modes only time and experimentation will tell. Keith, you made it easy every step of the way, Thank you! Rod.