Author Topic: Voting for the "Diffused Light" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2130 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Please vote for your favorite image from the "Diffused Light" assignment for the "People's Choice" award.  The guidelines for this assignment were to use a diffusion panel (which could be "homemade" or appropriate material adopted for this purpose) to modify the light on your subject so that was diffused, soft, and flattering to the subject.  One thing that I didn't mention in the assignment description, but probably should have, is how important diffused light is in order to impart a 3-dimensional perception of our subjects.  It is because of this that soft light is often described as "round" light, since the shadows formed by soft light contribute towards the gradual changes in tonality that are indicative of a smoothly rounded object.

To vote for an image, simply select the image title in the "poll" attached at the top of this thread, and click "submit vote."  NOTE:  You need to be logged in to see the voting options.  Voting will end at midnight, Mountain Time (GMT-07:00) on Sunday, 11 April 2010.  

Signs of Spring

Lauren

Green Keys

"Lost in translation"

Hyacinth

Johny Jumpups

Blue Hyacinth

Madam Ladybug

Johnny Jump ups II

Dreaming of Spring

Lucky Elephant 2

Obsession

Attraction-Tresor

Euphoria

Bracelet

Spring in the desert

Tent caterpillars in action

Gloriosa daisies

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment.  Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:25:41 AM by keithsnell »

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
Re: Voting for the "Diffused Light" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »
Voting is just getting harder and harder.  I love so many of these images and Lars, where is your image.  I liked the safety pin, but you pulled the image!!   Sheila, I really think you should submit your perfume images to the manufacturers and see if you can sell them.  Those are much better than the advertising images I've seen of those perfumes.  Michele, I love your tulips image - so soft and spring feeling and perfect with the white background.   Right now, I'm leaning toward voting for Girod's 'Lost in Translation'.  I love the composition, love the letters with the pen, and I thought he did a great job on focus - the dead sharp focus on the pen point and soft fall off on the barrels both directions.   Oh, and I also love Prairie Dust's ladybug.  Dave, I think you may have a calling to macro photography of insects--there are many publications out there that could benefit from your fantastic detail you capture on these insects!  Of course you'd be competing with Marilyn as her capture of the tent caterpillars brought goosebumps to me remembering when a similar creature attack a tree in my yard one year.  Great job, everyone!

Michele

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »
I am having a tough time too.  I have four favorites.  Lost in translation is amazing.  I love it as well.  I love keith flowers (Johny Jumpups).  Truly, it would be a remarkable puzzle.  I think "Monsieur Lady bug" is a piece of art with all its detail, but the one I keep going back to and I think I am going to vote for is Spring in the desert. I think the main subject should have been a little lower but all in all it is a spectacular photo.  I love the spikes going up and out and I love the colors in this photo and the background.  I can't put my finger on it, but I like it.  So, yup, that's the one.

marilyn

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »
I agree - this was a tough week with so many wonderful shots.  My favorites are the softness and lines in the tulips, the exquisite lighting in the portrait of Lauren (lighting and detail makes me feel like I could reach out and touch her),  Lost in Translation (unusual subject and interesting focus), and the amazing lady bug (what can I say?  WOW!).