Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Telling a Story" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1447 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone who participated in the "Telling a Story" assignment.  The guidelines for this assignment were to tell a story with your image, paying attention to both the subject and the verb in the image.  Participants were encouraged to use photographic techniques to emphasize the verb (what the subject was doing, or its "state of being.")  There were some wonderful images submitted for this assignment, and it was another hard week to pick a "favorite" image.

One of the characteristics of a successful image is that it evokes an emotional response in the viewers.  I thought Sue Pepin's image of Dad was just such an image, and told a poignant story about her Dad.  Although this image wasn't selected as People's Choice, it was close, and the image definitely deserves recognition.  

Dad
Photographed by Sue Pepin

Becky Jenner's wonderful image titled The feel of an innocent memory definitely brought to mind the curious and carefree explorations of a child.  This composition might have been a bit stronger if the child wasn't centered in the image, perhaps lower and further to the right?  (Although it is hard to say without seeing the other surroundings.)  Still, this is a wonderful image that evokes memories of a simpler time.

The feel of an innocent memory
Photographed by Becky Jenner

I played with the cropping a bit on this image and decided to post an alternative crop for consideration.  (I also lightened the shadows on the child just a little, so that their features weren't quite so lost in the shadows.):

The feel of an innocent memory
Photographed by Becky Jenner (cropped by Keith)

Jaime did a wonderful job capturing the personality of his daughter in Stories told in the magical tent.

Stories told in the magical tent
Photographed by Jaime Dorotan (girod)

And Rick Pepin's Gone Hiking image was the one that most made me want to be there.  (Another mark of a successful image.)

Gone Hiking
Photographed by Rick Pepin

Congratulations to Dave Leiker (prairiedust) whose Dumping the Grain image was chosen as People's Choice and selected as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  The composition, framing and balance in this image were all excellent, and Dave did a great job controling the light to direct the viewer's attention towards the farmer.  (I think I see a bit of vignetting added in order to help frame the image and direct the viewer's attention?)  This image was very effective at "telling a story" and conveying the act of Dumping the Grain

Dumping the Grain
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Telling a Story" assignment.  

Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:25:53 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
I'm honored that this photo was chosen from such a strong set of entries. I didn't expect it, as some of the other images in the assignment really move me and got my own vote. Thanks everyone.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest