Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Surrealism" Assignment.  (Read 1440 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Surrealism" Assignment.
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Surrealism" assignment.  The guidelines for this assignment were to create an image that was an expression of the psyche, free of the restrictive control of reason and free of convention.  The assignment description noted that Surrealism often includes an element of surprise, an unexpected juxtaposition, or a non sequitur in order to provoke the viewer to question the status quo. 

Congratulations to Becky, whose Inner Beauty image was voted People's Choice and awarded Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  This image was a great example of a thought-provoking non sequitur, and a great example of how surrealism can be used to provoke the viewer to question their understanding of reality, even if only for a brief moment.

Inner Beauty
Photographed by Becky Jenner

Congratulations also to Naomi, whose The Planet Master image was awarded Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.  I'm amazed at Naomi's skill in creating this image from two conventional photographs.  Excellent work!

The Planet Master
Photographed by Naomi

Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Surrealism" assignment.  I enjoyed seeing the imagination and creativity behind your entries.  We often forget that being able to visualize and work towards and end result is the basis for creative photography.  I think this assignment was somewhat unique in that it freed us from convention and encouraged us to create our images by first visualizing an end result, and then manipulating a scene in order to create our vision.  Hopefully everyone enjoyed this exercise in creativity.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:19:44 PM by keithsnell »