Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Nurturing" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2144 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Nurturing" assignment.  The guidelines for this assignment were to simply to post an image that illustrated the concept of nurturing.

I enjoyed Rick's (trvlrick) Nurturing the Dandelions image.  Rick's image, in the context of this assignment, reminded me of the John Muir quote that "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."  Rick did an outstanding job using a wide aperture, and the resulting limited depth of field, to isolate his subject against a softly out of focus background.  The amazing detail on the stalk of the dandelion indicates that he used solid technique to capture the image.  This well-defined detail makes the dandelion "real," and I can imagine the seeds blowing away in a puff of wind and floating on the breeze to their new home, only to begin the process again.

Nurturing the Dandelions
Photographed by Rick Pepin

Michele did a great job capturing the relationship between mother and daughter in her Lauren and Mommy image.  I enjoyed seeing the different versions of this image that Michele experimented with.  I think the general consensus was that we thought the soft skin tones/colors added to the composition, and worked better than the "neutral" black and white in other versions.

Lauren and mommy
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Michele's Lauren and Mommy 2 image was perhaps an even stronger representation of nurturing, with the embrace between mother and child helping to convey the idea of "tender care and protection" embodied in the concept of nurturing.  Michele used soft colors and tonality very effectively to reinforce the gentle feeling of this image.  I agree with Marilyn that not showing much of the face perhaps made the image stronger, since it allowed the viewer to attribute the caring embrace to someone that was important in their lives.  The soft white vignette was a very effective way to frame the image, while at the same time reinforcing the gentle overall feeling of the composition.  Wonderful composition Michele!

Lauren and mommy 2
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

I loved Marilyn's take on nurturing with her image titled Nurturing the writer within.  Marilyn did a great job setting up this image to show the multifaceted aspects of writing, with the open notebooks illustrating the commitment to study, practice, and constantly improve one's craft.  I can imagine a parallel to this being the painter's studio, with studies of the masters and partially completed paintings exploring several different styles scattered about the studio.  I wonder what the parallel illustration should look like for a photographer?  I enjoyed reading all the comments on this image, and the recognition that arts are important to nurturing our own soul.  Great job creating a scene to illustrate a concept Marilyn.

Nurturing the writer within
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

My Little Girls are Made of Sugar and Spice image was just a snapshot, but I try to hold myself to submitting something for each assignment.  This image was taken with our old Canon point-and-shoot with it's small built-in flash, so I had to make a few corrections to bring it up to a quality that I felt comfortable posting.  I cropped the image to remove the distraction of her legs that were splayed out awkwardly, and used layer masks in Photoshop to tone down the bright (over flashed) areas on the doll and focus more attention on McKenzie's face.

Little Girls are Made of Sugar and Spice
Photographed by Keith

If you read my "Judging Photography" post, you know that I try to balance my assessment of the techniques used to produce an image with an assessment of how successfully the image tells a story, or evokes an emotional response from the viewer.  Although Dave's Honors image isn't technically perfect (the skies are a bit overexposed) it evokes a powerful emotional response from viewers that understand the significance of this moment.  This was a very evocative image that very effectively "tells a story."  Although it seems like a very insignificant portion of the image, the inclusion of the canopy as framing for the left side of the image brings to mind similar scenes I have been part of in the past.  Thank you for sharing Dave, and for reminding us that "nurturing" comes in many ways.

Honors
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Rick's Nurtured Sunflower image was the well deserved "People's Choice" for this assignment.  This was a very nicely arranged image composed of elements that are symbolic representations of nurturing, the cupped hands, the rich dirt, and the seedling.  When I thought of images I might compose for the "Nurturing" assignment, I visualized a very similar scene.  The one thing I might have done differently would have been to choose a different background (perhaps bare dirt) instead of the manicured lawn.  Somehow the manicured lawn didn't quite seem to fit in with my idea of nurturing.  I might have also tried to get just a bit more depth of field, but overall the image was a very effective representation of nurturing.  I've awarded this image Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

Nurtured Sunflower
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Rick Pepin (trvlrick)

One of the fascinating things about this assignment was all of the different perspectives on "nurturing."  It was interesting to see the references to the arts, and the recognition of how these intangible connections to the world around us nourish the soul.  Lars' Nurturing my old records image was interesting in that it simultaneously addressed two aspects of nurturing, that of caring for old records, which in turn nurtured our soul through the beautiful music they contained.

Nurturing my old records
Photographed by Lars

Rebecca's Nurturing Confidence image is the first time I have seen a carnival ride described as "nurturing,"  :) but I appreciate Rebecca's insight, and her recognition that everything that we do with our children is nurturing them in some way or another.  Presenting the two images together was a very effective way to illustrate her point.  Marilyn asked if there was a name for a two-panel set of images, and the answer is yes, it's called a diptych.

Nurturing Confidence
Photographed by Rebecca

Rebecca's Nurturing Eternity image presented yet another perspective on nurturing, which is that it is an "eternal" process.  I like that concept, and she used a wonderful example to illustrate her point.

Nurturing Eternity
Photographed by Rebecca

Erik's Academy Graduation image was another example of an image that effectively tells a story.  I love how he captured the relationship between mother and son in this image.  The son's pride at having his mother pin on his newly earned badge is evident for all to see.  And I can imagine Diane saying something like "now don't go do anything stupid, Marcus."  Great capture Erik!

Academy Graduation
Photographed by Erik Black

Viewers are encouraged to respond to this thread describing why you like a particular image, or think it was particularly successful at meeting the guidelines of the assignment.

Keith
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:46:35 PM by keithsnell »

TrvlRick

This assignment was fun and very hard at the same time because we do not have children. When I think of nurturing I think of someone nurturing a child so I had to think outside the box. Once I saw the sunflower trying to grow in the rocks it came to me to nurture it in some nice soil and hope it grows (it is doing just find to date). Keith, I do agree that a dirt back ground could have been better but I had to work with what I had at the time as my beautiful assistant (Sue) was not real happy about putting the dirty dirt in her hands (hence the gloves) so I didn't push my luck. My favorite photo was Lauren and Mommy 2, it just really looked like a very nurturing moment. Thank you to all for all the great input.  :)

Michele

And yet, I voted for your photo.  I loved it.  It had a subtle sensitivity and also was very sharp.  The cupping of the hands showing tenderness was really lovely.

Thank you for thinking mine was nice too.  And once again, Keith, thank you for all the work you put into everything.  My life for the next two weeks is a rollercoaster ride so I am sorry I have not replied sooner. 

Have a great week, everyone.

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
Are you doing school portraits again?  I hope everything goes well for you. 

Thanks again for taking time to submit images for the assignments.  I know it takes commitment to find the time each week to photograph and submit images, and I appreciate that you take the time.  It helps keep me motivated to continue studying and practicing too.

Good luck over the next two weeks.  I'd love to see some of your work when you are done.

Keith

Michele

Yes, I am doing a few more classes.  Those are taken but not worked on yet.  This time I used a light meter and I have to say it was a lot faster for setting up, but, I don't think the lighting is as nice.  I have some shine on the faces that I have to deal with.

But I am also filming two movies.  One last night, one tonight of the same production and another one next week on Saturday.  I am much more confident with a camera than I am doing video but the theater burst into applause when they heard that there was going to be a DVD done by me, so I better not screw up too too much.  I am using three cameras.  One for the full stage at all times in hd, one on the left side because there is action that happens there between each act and one that I am doing different close ups on.  There are 250 performers...  The finally has all of them on stage.  It is quite the task.  I will be using a lot of video overlays so that when you watch it, it won't look like watching ants...

The other one is going to be much more complicated.  If I told you the personality I am dealing with, you would probably advise me to dump the deal.  But I was recommended by a friend and I don't want to say no to anything at this time.

Meanwhile, getting childcare for all of this is taking its toll on me.  To top it off, Lauren has a stiff neck and can't participate in activities so easily. 

I have my hands a bit full, but I vow to try and do every single assignment you give me.  I want to learn and you and your website (including your members) have been a real gift to my life.  Thank you very much again, in case I haven't told you.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Wow!  You are going to be busy! 

Your two movies sound like a great challenge.  I've experimented with video in the past, and I know it can be challenging to record well, and then very time consuming to edit.  It sounds like you will have quite a project (or two) on your hands.  Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.  I'm always interested to know what works and what doesn't, what software you used for the video editing, etc. 

I think it will be harder and harder to stay "in business" as a photographer in the future if we don't also do video.  I'm waiting for Nikon to release their next iteration of video capable cameras, and then I will probably start getting serious about learning video. 

We're photographing a wedding in the Fall, so that might be our first opportunity to experiment with video, although I'm hesitant to add such a large responsibility on myself when it might distract from being a good photographer.  It will probably depend on what cameras Nikon releases between now and then...

Good luck.  You're an inspiration to us all!

Keith