Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Cause and Effect" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1858 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image (or series of images) that conveyed to the viewer the relationship between a cause and a resulting effect.

Jaime's "Returning...." is a beautiful image, made even more special by Jaime's description of the cause and effect between the happiness of children and the happiness of the parents.  This is an outstanding composition that beautifully captured the serenity and contentment that Kaya felt at that moment.

"Returning...."
Photographed by Jaime Dorotan

Lar's Photoshop Cause and Effect images are a great illustration of the effects that can be created in Photoshop, and how an artistic vision can guide the artist through the creation of an image that evokes a particular mood or emotional reaction.  Nice job Lars.

Before Photoshop Cause
Photographed by Lars

After Photoshop Effect
Photographed by Lars

Michele's Bad Luck! image is a great illustration of an impending cause and effect.  This image has outstanding clarity.  The well defined pins make the sharp points seem even more ominous, and the angular shapes of the pins are a great counterpoint to the rounded form of the balloon.  The composition is well balanced, and exposure, tonality and color rendition are all outstanding.  I've selected this image as Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

Bad luck!
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Michele's image of What happens when children discover a freshly made bed... was another outstanding capture.  The shot was wonderfully timed and captured great expressions, and as Marilyn pointed out, the flying hair was a great effect.

What happens when children discover a freshly made bed...
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Thank you to everyone that voted for my Water Carving image for People's Choice.  I really enjoyed exploring different views of this scene to compose this image.

Water Carving
Tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Keith

Luc's Firedance images were both good, but I prefer the second image a little more.  The second image seems more complete, without cutting off too much of the top of the flame, and captures a wonderful dance between the flames.  I definitely get a feeling of warmth from these images.

firedance + facts 1
Photographed by Luc Bigler

firedance + facts 2
Photographed by Luc Bigler

Rebecca's Wine train wind down image simply made me smile. The stooped posture, worn out expression and telltale wine glass tell the story.  (With more of the story told by the wine train in the background.)  This was a great capture and tied for People's Choice.  I've selected this image as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit because it is such a fun and effective way to show cause and effect.

Wine train wind down
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit, Tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Rebecca

Marilyn's Seeking the Light image is simple, understated, and an outstanding composition.  I liked how the strong graphic design of the window frame and blinds provided a counterpoint to the organic shapes of the plant and clay pot.  This image was exposed nicely, with soft light that gave a nice form to the clay pot and plant, and a nice balance of front and back lighting.  Very well done Marilyn.  This image comes together very well.

Seeking the light
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Rick's image of the Water Droplet making waves was another great capture that required perfect timing (or lots of attempts).  The lighting was very effective for this image, giving great form to the wave.  The image could probably have used a little more depth of field though, which would have required supplemental lighting (maybe bounce flash off the ceiling or a white reflector?).

Water Droplet
Photographed by Rick Pepin

I hope you all enjoyed this assignment as much as I did.  I really enjoyed exploring the scene and then consciously composing my image to try to show a relationship between the cause and effect.

Keith
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:59:36 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas from Montreal!  Thank you, Keith for the cool surprise.  We made it here despite coming through Heathrow in London.  Only one of our flights was cancelled and I was able to get us on another.

Loving the photos coming in for this week's assignment... 

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
Thank you to all who voted for my shot--of course my friend will kill me if she ever finds out I posted the shot--especially now that it is on the front page! :-)  Michelle, may you have safe travels home with no delays!  I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and looking forward to more photography fun and challenges in 2011!

All the best to all of you!

Rebecca