Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Scale" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 3486 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image that conveyed scale by including an object of a "known" size near your primary subject so that viewers could use the relative sizes between the objects to judge the size of the second object.  The assignment also suggested that participant experiment with modifying the depth cues (perspective) to affect the viewers perception of scale.

Dave's Inner Space was one of those images where the different elements of the composition came together so well that the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts.  Several of the elements that made this image so successful were rather subtle.  Michele commented on the material in the foreground, which added a "near" element to the image and gave the composition perspective and depth.  Marilyn commented on the small patches of sky we could see through the top of the balloon, which served as the "far" element in the image and also added depth.  And of course the shadow on the balloon was one of the defining elements, not only did it provide scale, but the slightly distorted silhouette added a whimsical and playful element that left the viewer smiling.  There's a very interesting dynamic here between the elements of the image, with the viewers eye being drawn throughout the frame, settling most often on the silhouette.  Wonderful composition Dave!  This image was the well deserved People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

Inner Space
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Chris' El Camino image was another fun composition.  Not only did the miniature El Camino play to the concept of scale, it also provided context that helped the viewer understand what they were viewing.  This wonderfully detailed image was very effectively composed.  Good job Chris.

El Camino
Photographed by Chris Franklin

This must have been one of those assignments that encouraged fun and whimsical (or maybe Lars has been influencing us.  :) ).  Chris' Giant Fungi was another fun image, and Chris very effectively got "wide and close" (and low) to skew the perspective and make the Fungi seem like a giant.  Great job controlling the perspective Chris!

Giant Fungi

Michele's image of The smallest bird in the world was masterfully executed.  In my experience, producing a sharp image at these magnifications is very challenging, especially if you are taking a picture of something that is being held in the hand.  Even the smallest movements will move the object outside of the extremely narrow depth of field and soften the image.  The lighting was also very effective at highlighting the detail in the "dove" (and the details of the fingerprint).  Very well executed Michele, and deserving of Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.

The smallest bird in the world
Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Not much to say about my On the Edge and Learning to Climb images, other than the obvious observation that including people on the rock face helped provide "scale" that would otherwise be missing.

On the Edge
Photographed by Keith

Learning to Climb
Photographed by Keith

Hmmm, Lars' Universal Cat image makes me think that he has a big cat, or small furniture, or was photographing up close with a wide angle lens.  :)  It's interesting to see how well the 5D MkII does at ISO 3200!  Very nice looking cat Lars.  I love it's eyes, and the very natural rendition by the 5D Mk II.

The Universal Cat
Photographed by Lars

Rick did a great job including the climbers in his image of Garden of the Gods in order to show scale, but I would like to have seen this scene without the hill in the foreground obscuring so much of the rock.  I know from photographing in the same location that this can be difficult to do, and I had to maneuver around quite a bit in order to photograph my similar On the Edge shot without the face of the rock being obscured by foreground elements.  Maybe climbing up on the hill would have allowed a shot that showed more of the rock face?

Climbers at Garden of the Gods
Photographed by Rick Pepin (trvlrick)

I think Rick's Climbers...2 image does a much better job of showing scale.  Not only does he include more of the rock face, but his inclusion of climbers in both the foreground and the distance uses linear perspective to illustrate the scale.  Using a wide angle lens helped to accentuate the foreground elements and exaggerate the scale even more.  Great job Rick!

Climbers at Garden of the Gods 2

Rick did a great job with his Balanced Rock image as well, effectively including a person in the scene to provide scale. I might have tried adjusting my shooting position to get a little more separation between the rock and horizon on the right side and accentuate the fact that the rock isn't supported on that side. 

Balanced Rock

It's interesting to note the difference in perspective between Chris' Same Stuff, Different Day image and his earlier Giant Fungi image.  In the Giant Fungi image Chris used a wider focal length (5mm (on a compact camera)) and shot from closer in, accentuating the size of the mushroom in the foreground.  For the Same Stuff image, Chris wasn't quite as close to the mushroom, and "zoomed in" with a 7.3mm focal length.  That doesn't sound like much difference, until you recognize that it is a 50% difference in focal length.  The earlier, wider focal length image was much more effective at accentuating the size of the closest mushroom. 

Same Stuff, Different Day

Lars' Old tree was an interesting image, and I wish I knew more about the story behind the image.  It piques my interest, but then doesn't answer my questions.  Lars did a good job illustrating the size of the tree by including a person in the frame for reference.

Old tree
Photographed by Lars

Marilyn used an interesting and effective technique in her ...the teddy bears will play image.  The viewer judges the size of the smaller bear based on the loops in the carpet, and then estimates the size of the ball based on how that compares to the bear.  Very effective.  And adding the "bears at play" turned this into a playful and interesting image.

When the mom's away the teddy bears will play
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment.  If you're like me, concentrating on a specific aspect or concept for a series of images helps to hone my understanding so that I can employ those techniques effectively in the future.  I hope you found the experimentation with "scale" to be a useful learning experience.

Keith

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Re: Results and Feedback for the "Scale" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
Thanks everyone!  :)
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:46:33 AM »
So cool.  I have to say, I thought El Camino just amazing as well as Dave's hot air balloon.  Also, that mushroom was truly boggling!

Thank you very much.  This week is going to be challenging.  I think Lars' guitar is very motivating!

marilyn

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:29:09 PM »
I agree...these images were striking!  Thanks for sharing your talents, Dave and Michele!  You both always inspire me.