Author Topic: "Captivating," Weekly Photography Assignment for 3 - 9 January 2011.  (Read 3733 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The assignment for the week of 3 - 9 January 2011 is "Captivating."  In a sense, this assignment can be considered a follow-on to our "Clarity" assignment.  In that previous assignment, I described "clarity" as one of the defining qualities of an outstanding image.  But an image can have outstanding clarity and still be overlooked or dismissed by the viewer.  In order to become relevant to the viewer, an image must first capture their attention.  Thus, the need for captivating images.

I'd like to point out that the concept of "captivating" goes beyond "attention grabbing."  Here are a few definitions that can give you a sense for what we mean when we describe an image as "captivating."

Captivating:  Enchanting or irresistable.  Attracting and holding somebody's attention by charm or other pleasing or irresistible features. Fascinating.  Entrancing. Very interesting or attractive in a way that takes all your attention.

This definition of "captivate" gives us further insight into the meaning.  Captivate: "To acquire ascendancy over by reason of some art or attraction."  The key here being that when you captivate someone's attention, you gain power to influence them.

And more pertinent definitions:

• captivated - strongly attracted
  • captivated - beguiled: filled with wonder and delight
  • captivation - fascination: the state of being intensely interested (as by awe or terror)
  • captivation - a feeling of great liking for something wonderful and unusual

I wish I could teach you exactly what techniques to use to make your images captivating, but it's not that easy.  I think we all have a sense for what qualities make an image captivating, and hopefully this assignment will give us the opportunity to explore that concept further, and through emphasis, improve our ability to consciously create captivating imagery.  A quality you typically find in a captivating image is an emphasis on imparting a tactile feel to the image, using lighting techniques and quality of light that emphasize texture, shape and form and imparts a sense of inviting warmth.  Presenting your subject in a way that emphasizes its uniqueness will go a long way towards instilling a feeling of "great liking for something wonderful and unusual."

Please upload your images to the "Captivating" album in the Weekly Assignments category of the gallery no-later-than midnight, Mountain time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 9 January 2011.

I'll look forward to being captivated by your images.  :)

Keith
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:01:29 PM by keithsnell »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: "Captivating," Weekly Photography Assignment for 3 - 9 January 2011.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 07:17:23 PM »
p.s.

I would love to read your ideas about what makes an image captivating.

Keith

sue.pepin

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
My idea of a captivating image is 'You Taking It' (or Rebecca)!!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
:)

OK, now tell me what you really think makes an image captivating.

sue.pepin

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »
All your pictures are captivating!  You have perfect composition, color, focus, etc.  I don't think I have ever looked at one of your pictures and didn't like it and envy your talent.  So, Rebecca & Keith, please take a picture for me next week and put my name on it!!!  :D

Michele

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
I conquer!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Thank you both of you.  But I still want to know what makes an image captivating to you.  Is it the fine detail?  The texture?  The color?  A person's expression or eyes?

Keith

Lars

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 06:19:38 AM »
Keith

Captivating for me are when i se a picture that make me bee a part of it.
All of Ansel Adams  pictures are for me captivating.

Lars

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
Thank you Lars.  It helps me to be a better photographer if I can understand what other people find captivating about particular images.

I agree that images that make us feel like we are in the scene are captivating.  What do you think made Ansel Adams so successful at this?  Do you think it is because Ansel used compositional elements to draw us into the scene?  I will have to study his images again and see what I can learn from them.

Keith

marilyn

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »
How serendipitous that an Ansel Adams exhibit is just opening on the UNLV campus. So now, thanks to your suggestion, Lars, I'll have another perspective for viewing the photos - captivating, pulling me in to be a part of it.  Some other ways I've been thinking about this notion of captivating: 

They seem to have a story - either one that is revealed through inspection of the elements that are visible, or else they make me want to create my own story. They invite me to imagine...

Details, present or missing, make me want to go deeper, to look more closely, to see what's going on (or not). Or I may just be amazed at the technical skill and that draws me in. (Or both can happen simultaneously).

Sometimes a captivating photo can almost take my breath away because of the beauty, color, clarity, startling image, character portrayed in a portrait, etc. However, I think I'm most captivated by images that seem real as opposed to "photoshopped."  Still, as I write this, I realize abstract, crazy images can be captivating as well.

Lars

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »
Marilyn

It hard to say whats captivating
Its a personally thing
I like Ansel Adams for its .... i dont really know why
Its just hit me
but i know i like this contributions of Yours  a lot :http://http://spiritofphotography.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pos=-2926

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »
That is a great photograph!
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest