Author Topic: Epson 2880  (Read 3745 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Epson 2880
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:49:32 AM »
The use of their "Radiance" driver technology in the new Epson 2880 is said to provide:  "Smoother color transitions, plus better highlight and shadow detail, for matchless prints with a truer photographic look. By utilizing each color in a more efficient manner, Radiance optimizes the color gamut and dramatically enhances image quality. With this innovative technology, you get vivid colors that stay consistent in virtually any light."

The improvement that would interest me most is the "consistent in virtually any light."  This translates to a reduction in "metamerism," or shifts in perceived color due to viewing under different color temperature light sources.  We have our Epson 2200 profiled to provide accurate colors under incandescent/tungsten light.  A print from the 2200 that looks great under incandescent light; however, can look horible (with a greenish cast) in the light from a window.  Frankly, this drives me crazy and is one of my primary gripes against the Epson 2200.  If the adverisement hype surrounding the Epson 2880 is true, the "colors that stay consistent in virtually any light," would definitely be worth the price of the new printer.  I'm waiting for the first "real world" reviews of the printer to be published before making my final determination on the printer.

To see more information on this printer follow the link:  http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Overview&oid=63075040&category=Products

Lars

Re: Epson 2880
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:21:03 AM »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Epson 2880
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:56:05 AM »
Lars,

Thank you very much for the link to the Epson 2880 review.  While the reviewer gave the printer a positive review, he seemed a bit skeptical that Epson had solved the metamerism (color shift) problem.  Hmmm, I'd love to get my hands on a few test prints to see how they compare to my 2200.

Keith