Author Topic: Maintenance Notice  (Read 15016 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Maintenance Notice
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
When I accessed the site this morning it had been hacked.  I believe I have restored the site and fixed the security vulnerability they used to access the site.  I don't think any member information was compromised; however, just to be safe, you might want to change your password (especially if you have administrator permissions on the site).

Some of the changes I had to make included changing "permissions" on directories and files that control the functioning of the site.  I don't think any of these changes will have a negative effect.  However, if you notice strange behavior or any of the site functions don't seem to be working for you (especially if you have admin privileges) then please let me know as soon as possible.

I really wish these hackers could find a way to constructively contribute to society instead of being so destructive.

Keith

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:34:23 AM by keithsnell »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Maintenance Notice
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
Somehow my "fixing" the site resulted in breaking the editing function for the articles.  I've installed a temporary fix by switching to a new editor for the articles (the funtion I use to put short articles on the front page of the site).  The buttons you used (as an admin) to update the front page articles will now look different; however, I believe most of the functionality is still there.

NOTE:  The "editor" function for articles works with Internet Explorer, but I haven't been able to get it to work with Safari (and haven't tried with other browsers).  Again, this should only affect you if you have admin privileges and used those priveleges to update the front page articles.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:07:06 AM by keithsnell »

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
I'm now doing a full backup of the site.  After that completes (probably later today) I will try to make one more update to the article editor on the site in order to ensure all the security vulerabilities are fixed.  This update might "break" the site, so wish me luck.   :)

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
OK, there were several times today that I was about ready to cry in frustration, but I think the site is mostly back now.  (The only difference for now will be the article editor.)

For those of you using the article editor, you will need to use Internet Explorer in "compatibility" mode, otherwise some of the functions in the editor won't work properly.

Thanks for your patience.

Keith

Lars

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 03:28:33 PM »
Great work Keith
I have changed my password
These SouTHRaNDA hackers group contribute nothing  to society they just destroy  everything  to get a kick  Sad !!!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Thanks Lars.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »
Thanks for bringing it back Keith.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

marilyn

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »
I went on last night and discovered the hacking with a really gross "welcoming" image.  I'm impressed you got it back so quickly, Keith.  You're awesome!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
Thanks Marilyn.

(Sorry about not catching it as soon as it happened.)

marilyn

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
I clearly have no insight into how hacking happens, but how would you have been able to catch it as soon as it happened?

Michele

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
Thank you, Keith, for fixing the site.  I changed my password too.  What could possibly interest someone to hack into this site?

Michele

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:00 AM »
Something weird did happen this morning.  When I used the word, date or new, a hyperlink goes to some sort of ad.  So I replaced those words with others.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »
Something weird did happen this morning.  When I used the word, date or new, a hyperlink goes to some sort of ad.  So I replaced those words with others.

Can you explain that in a little more detail Michele?  I don't understand what you mean when you say "when I used the word, date or new."  When you used them on the site?  Or when you typed them into your address bar on your browser?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:24:35 AM by keithsnell »

Michele

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:47 AM »
Hi Keith, good morning to you.  When I typed in the assignment or in the voting.  I used the word date, it had a link to a dating site once it was posted.  In the modify it had nothing on it but once I reviewed it in the post, it was blue and was underlined.  I clicked on it and brought up an ad.  Same for new, brought up an iPad site, etc.  I changed the words and it was fine again.  It was weird.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 06:35:47 AM »
Hi Keith, good morning to you.  When I typed in the assignment or in the voting.  I used the word date, it had a link to a dating site once it was posted.  In the modify it had nothing on it but once I reviewed it in the post, it was blue and was underlined.  I clicked on it and brought up an ad.  Same for new, brought up an iPad site, etc.  I changed the words and it was fine again.  It was weird.

Thanks Michele.  Hmmm, I did a test post and didn't see the same thing.  I'll experiment a bit more and take one more sweep of the software on the server to make sure there is nothing  out of place there.  Just out of curiosity, what browser were you using?

Keith