Author Topic: Assignments  (Read 12506 times)

Michele

Assignments
« on: March 23, 2012, 03:18:31 AM »
I see that nothing has really been active on the site since that last time I was here other than some messages on the board.  I feel sad.  This site has motivated me and I am sure others to learn but most of all inspire us to take more photos and to try new things.  I am still a little overwhelmed at the moment with work.  I have calculated that in the last four weeks, I have edited more than 1500 photos in all.  I finished most things but I still have to finish a few loose ends. 

I am really asking this with my heart, is the decision to keep this site mainly to be used as a reference tool and social gathering for photographers?

I am asking the members if they want to do the assignments anymore?  I still want to help but not if I am the only one who feels this way.

Whatever the answer may be, I still want to thank all of you for the last two years.  Even from a distance, I think about many of you and your work that was produced because this site existed.

Michèle

Lars

Re: Assignments
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 04:18:02 AM »
Hello Michele

One problem with this site are that
there are not so many active members
In the assignments we are a small group about ten members
who are more and less active.

The great benfit with a proffesional as Keith
whos judgement really was one of the main reason
to be here, seems to be lost to.

So what to do ?
Why not just go out with an inviting (with e-mail if possible) to all members send in theirs
best photo without any special category just to see if we get any
respond or not.

I understand that You an Dave  have had all work with assignments
but I think I could be more active to in a future and helping  You and Dave with
the assignments.

Lars

marilyn

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »
Michele and fellow photographer friends ~ I, too, feel sad at the prospect of losing the energy, community, and incredible gift this site has been for me and my photography.

The assignments have pushed me to learn, experiment and develop my photography skills (although I have far to go!) in ways that I never imagined were possible.  I love the fact that even with the voting and Keith's awards for artistic and technical merit, the comments by Keith and everyone are helpful and move us forward. It IS the assignments and commentary/suggestions that make this site different.

On the other hand, as someone who spends her life reading and responding to university students' writing and other work, I know how tedious it can be after a while -- even if you find joy in helping and know that your comments/suggestions are appreciated.  I get that totally.  I can't even imagine how much pressure that has been for Keith, even as he knows inside what a difference this site and his vision have made for many of us.  Still, as Lars said, that piece of this site has drawn many of us to it and kept us here.  I'm wondering what we might be able to do to maintain a bit of that for each other?

I do want to continue with assignments.  There are many we have done that I would love (and need) to do over.  Some that were there before I joined.  Amazing work and opportunities to learn.  Deadlines and assignments are very helpful because we are all so busy with life and work - and yet I have found these opportunities have added balance to my life and helped me grow.  I hope we can figure out how to sustain the pieces that are essential for each of us.  Thanks for starting the conversation, Michele!  

~marilyn

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:00:13 PM »
Hi Michele, Lars and Marilyn (and Dave too, for your previous comments and support), and all the other regular visitors to the site,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the site.  I apologize for being so silent for the last six months or so.  I haven't said much during the last several months because I really wasn't sure myself what direction the site would take in the future.  I really don't know where to begin, so I will simply say that my personal life had become out of balance and I felt that I needed to set aside my work with the website to concentrate more on my family.  I think my life is in better balance now, but still not quite where I want to be.

Photography has been a very important part of my life.  It has enriched my life by enabling me to see the world in a much more insightful way than I otherwise would have been able to.  It has led me on journeys of discovery, encouraged me to slow down and open myself to see the beauty in our everyday lives (and places I might not have visited otherwise), and enabled me to connect with my world in a fundamental way that is spiritual in nature.  The exploration, discovery, wonder, insight, appreciation and connection at an emotional level with the fundamental beauty in our world has enabled me to grow spiritually in a way that no other medium can do for me.  And my photography has given me a means to express myself in a way that words cannot.

The sense of community we have developed through this site has meant a tremendous amount to me, and I consider many of you close friends because of the connections we have developed through our photography.  In the time I have been absent from the site, that is what I have missed the most.

It seems ironic that I felt that in order to restore balance, I had to set aside a critical part of my life that helped define a balance that felt right to me in the first place.  I'm sure that someday photography, or some other creative medium (writing perhaps?) will again become an important part of my life.  But I'm just not there yet, and need to spend more time nurturing my personal and family life.  Evan and McKenzie are growing up so fast that I want to take advantage of each fleeting moment to help them grow into the wonderful human beings that I'm sure they will become.  They grow in amazing ways every day, and I want to be there for them.  Our family will be traveling quite a bit this Spring and Summer, and as much as I want to, I know I just won't have the time to dedicate to keeping the weekly assignments going on the website.

I'd love to find a way that would enable us to continue to nurture each other's creative growth.  I think if the website were to reach "critical mass" then we would have enough participation to keep folks engaged.  I suspect that the only way to keep the website alive over the summer is for each of us to have the self-discipline to do our own "assignments" and then engage other members on the site for feedback (or just to share our creative energy).

Thank you again for being an important part of my life. There have been a few times when the ability to express myself creatively on this site has helped to keep me sane (or at least a little more sane that I otherwise would have been), and my wonderful experiences on the workshops have sustained my spirit through some rough times.  You still mean a lot to me, I just feel the need to concentrate more on my family at this point in my life.

Thank you.  You all mean a lot to me.

Keith
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:37:37 AM by keithsnell »

sue.pepin

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
I remember when I first learned of the website.  Keith & Rebecca had a small class at their house in the Springs.  I remember how lost I felt because I knew nothing.  Over time, I learned more & more ... still need a lot to learn .. but at least I can now understand Keith.  I visit the web site often but sometimes didn't participate because I didn't have time or I just couldn't figure out how to do the assignment.  Rick on the other hand did the weekly assignments faithfully & his photographs have improved immeasurably.  That is a testament to the web site, Keith & everyone that participates.

Keith is always an integral part of the site because of his knowledge & passion.  It's a big responsibility to have everyone waiting for the next assignment & try to come up with an original idea.  Keith, you always did it & thank you.

I would love to see the site continue.  I think the one item I miss the most is the critiques.  I loved seeing the small changes Keith would make & ways to make the photo better.  Dave, Michelle, Lars & Marilyn, you are all the perfect ones to take Keith's spot while he takes a sabbatical.  You all have the creativity & knowledge.  Don't be afraid you will hurt someone's feelings if you critique a photo.  I know I come here to learn & I think others do too.  Besides, none of you will be mean spirited.  Telling someone to use a higher ISO, etc. is what we all need ... I know I do ... Rick tells me this ALL the time.

So, if the site continues, I will make an effort to participate in each assignment (and I'll give Rick permission to kick me in the butt to get going).

Keith, you will be missed but something tells me you will be back & you will keep an eye on our progress.  You know we all want the best for you.  My 2 cents!

Michele

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
We are all good for one another.   I just wanted to know if we still all feel the same way.  Let's do it!   New assignment by tomorrow, let's all get involved and then, perhaps, others will join in the fun once more.  Sue, critiques are hard to do simply because I lack the confidence in my opinion and qualifications about photography.  I am learning all the time.   I feel more confident with my own abilities and am no longer panicking everytime I have a new job assignment but that is not the same thing as critiquing someone else's work.  If you all want me to give it a try, I will try to do a results summary at the end of the assignments.

I miss you all.  Keith, take your time, I really was calling out to everyone in the group to continue to participate.  I had a lot of work in the last month, but I am ready to get going again.  Please participate everyone, it makes this place so worthwhile!!!

Michèle
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:48:18 AM by Michele »

sue.pepin

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »
I'll start thinking about this week's assignment.  I have full confidence in you!  I am always amazed at your creativity.  Even if your critque is something as easy as ''try taking the photograph from ground level'' or ''I would have taken the picture using this method, give it a try'' ... would be wonderful.  That way we'd get into your creative mind.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »
I miss everyone here, and also the invigoration of seeing everyone's photos, working on assignments.

Keith, I think are absolutely on target with your priorities.  It's good for our hearts to know you're okay and taking care of your most important needs. 

I'd like to do a bug hunt assignment this Spring, if anyone else likes to do that.  I loves'em.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37:16 AM »
I wouldn't mind a bug assignment either but on this side of the ocean, we might have to wait a little bit.

:)

TrvlRick

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
A bug assignment sounds like alot of fun to me! I will have to start looking around. :)

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:02:25 AM »
Bugs!    Michele, let us know when you start seeing insects and we'll schedule an assignment for BUGS.

Michele

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
I'm sure I can find some bugs for the next assignment.  Let's do the itty-bitty creatures that inhabit everywhere for the next assignment.  Mine won't be as exotic but it might be fun to try and find some.

Lars

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
Here at :59' 16' 33" N 18' 8' 1" E  You dont find any bugs for the moment  (at least outside)

Lars

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »
When the time comes we'll accept any small interesting creature for those in bugless environments.   Kansas isn't one of those. We have lots of them.  I'll work up some tips on insect glamour photography in the meantime.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »
Is this coming weekend a good time to star the bugs or should we wait awhile.