Author Topic: "Abstract the everyday", Weekly Photography Assignment for 21 - 27 November 2011  (Read 4281 times)

Michele

I am addicted!  I admit it!  Photography has two facets that blow me away, the technical and the artistic.   I love this website because it not only explains to us the tools and theory needed to use the technology available to each of us whether it be using the simplest point and click camera to the more sophisticated  professional cameras but also because it inspires us to see light in all sorts of different ways.  For example, we have seen amazing photos taken from today’s mobile phones on this site that have moved us and stirred the imagination!

That being said, everybody around us probably has an instrument available to them to take a photo but as with any instrument, it takes theory, practice but most of all inspiration to create music with it.  I find it interesting when people look at photos and say, “I could have taken that!” and I always think to myself, of course they could have, but they didn’t... because they did not “see” it enough to take it.

Remember this photo Lars posted?  A simple nail.  Beautiful.

This is going to be one of those times.  I propose we “abstract the everyday”.   This week, I would like us to find ordinary objects we use everyday and create another perspective that can evoke a feeling.  It could be because of its pattern, colour, texture, lines, form of the object that inspires the photo or our own manipulation of the light, angle, DOF, motion, etc.

Pretty general, right?  Here is the catch.  It has to be an inanimate object so general that everyone would probably have it.  A golf ball, pens, dinner plates, printer cartridges, stairs, a stool, etc.  Start by looking at things around you by their form, colour and curves.  Showcase the item so that we really see something special about them.   Frame the photo in a subjective and distinctive way imaginable.

This fountain pen photo?  Brilliant!

Many people think that abstract photography means that the subject is unrecognizable.  That is only one style of abstract photography.  It doesn’t have to be, although you could give that a try too.  What really makes a good abstract photo is emotion.  It’s the kind of photo that makes you stop and think, wow, look at that!

The dramatic contrast on a set of erasers gives this photo a powerful look.

In low light, this guitar has a richness to it.  (Really it is quite a cheap looking guitar in normal lighting.)

The light hitting on a clothes line umbrella.  Now, it looks delicate and pretty.

The romance of lace.

The motion of Marilyn's windchimes, artistic.

The bumps on a golf ball.

Sometimes, objects can tell a story.  In this photo, there is a communication going on with the objects.

The delicate look of barb wire and its contrasting intent.  You can imagine what this wire might be protecting.

The toothbrush that lays in wait.

This assignment is not necessarily a technical assignment but by using the techniques we have already practiced in other assignments, we can really make them interesting.   Let's see what we can come up with to show the beauty and power in these ordinary things we use in our every day lives.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:58:06 AM by Michele »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
This sounds like fun to work on, and there are some great examples from the members here.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:55:08 AM by prairiedust »
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you Michele.  This is an awesome assignment very nicely presented.

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
Bummed I did not make time to get a shot this week.  I LOVE what everyone did.  And a big welcome back to Marilyn - we missed you too!  Hope you all had a very Happy Thanksgiving (for those in the US) and a wonderful weekend in the rest of the world!  I'm very thankful for all of you who participate and make this such a great community of photographers.   

Rebecca