Author Topic: Concert Photography  (Read 2126 times)

Chris

Concert Photography
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:05:08 PM »
Any advice? I have an opportunity to photograph The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band next week for the school paper. I hope to get some really great photos.

Dave, it will be at the Granada if you have any location specific ideas.

It's a sold out show so should be loud, crowded and FUN! :)

Band info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitty_Gritty_Dirt_Band
http://www.nittygritty.com/

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Re: Concert Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »
That sounds great Chris.  The Granada is a good venue for photographers. There are the open wings at the sides of the balcony, good access from the front of the stage, and with some university press credentials you can probably wander around back stage, mebe get some shots from stage left or right.  It'll be a fun shoot.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:26:14 PM by prairiedust »
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:56:35 AM »
p.s.   Michele is building a good portfolio of performance photography and will have a lot of wisdom on this type of thing.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »
Hi Chris,

I am no expert by a long shot but I have made many mistakes along the way.  I have a few tips that might help.

Is it a small place?  If so, are you permitted to use a flash?  Normally, I don't use one because it really disturbs everyone.  If you are allowed to use it though, it can't hurt.  If you can use a flash, don't use it full blast because the whole atmostphere of the concert won't be the same in your photos.

If you aren't using  a flash, which will probably be the case, you are going to want to boost up the ISO.  Don't go too high!  800 is usually pretty high but if necessary, go higher.   Try keeping your shutter speed no slower than 1/60, (I like 1/125), shoot wide open and adjust the ISO as needed.  Just constantly meter and adjust the ISO because they may play with the lights too.  Sometimes noise can not be helped and you will have to really boost the ISO but that can also be a cool shot.  Just don't forget about it!  I have forgotten my ISO often enough!

If you have a fast lens, that would be great so that you can save that precious light!   At one point, I was using this little wee 50 mm 1.8 lens and it worked ok but I had to be really close to the action.

Don't use any filters. (Other than a protective lens)

If you have the time, try focussing manually.  The AF gets funny in really low light.

Don't bother with a WB.  The lights change often, so just shoot in RAW and adjust it later with your editing tools.  (Any other time, I do set up my WB in the camera, except for this kind of thing.)

Other than that, just have a blast and move around a lot.  Try mixing up your angles for cool shots.  Include some of the crowd sometimes.  

Don't delete any photos as you go!  Wait until you get home.  Some of the coolest concert shots look awful in the camera and end up being the most creative.

Have fun and share your shots with us.

Michele
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:19:34 AM by Michele »

Chris

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Well, the show was great! I had pretty good access but was somewhat limited by the film crew recording it. I tried to stay out of their way. Tons of stuff to look through now. I'll post some later.

Chris

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 08:57:33 PM »