Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Just for Myself" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 3398 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were simply to photograph something for yourself.  The assignment encouraged participants to take pleasure in the exploration, the appreciation of simple beauty found in everyday scenes, and the act of creating an image for your own expression.

Michele's image titled One of those days... was another great creation.  I love that instead of just photographing what she finds, Michele visualizes an image that she wants to create, and then puts together the elements necessary to create that image.  Even more impressive is that the image is not just a pretty picture, but is designed to convey a concept (or feelings) in a way that is difficult to do in words.  As we've talked about in previous discussions, often times the "message" conveyed through art is complex enough that it can't be verbalized in simple words, but instead is revealed by the artist through metaphor.  By using metaphor, an artist can connect and communicate with viewers that understand and empathize, while using the metaphor to mask their vulnerabilities from those that might not understand or empathize with the ideas or feelings conveyed in the image.  One of those days... is a concept that many of us can identify with, and most of us would respond to this image with empathy, which immediately establishes a strong emotional connection with the viewer.   This is a powerful and effective image that I have selected as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

One of those days...
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Jack's Self Portrait In HDR was another great creation.  I appreciate that Jack took the time to explain (in the gallery comments) how he created the image.   I thought Dave's description was right on when he described the image as "Very soulful, and seems to hint at all the mysterious facets that make up a human being."  This is one of your most artistic shots yet Jack.  I agree with Michele that it is full of character and very well done.

Self Portrait In HDR
Photographed by Jack Powers

I thought Rebecca did a great job putting together the photo essay on Evan's First Day of School .  As Rebecca said, one of the reasons we love photography is to capture all those life moments that zoom by too quickly.  With a photograph, we get to relive them again and again.

Evan's First Day of School (follow the link for the photo essay).
Photographed by Rebecca

Tom's image of his grandsons titled Observation was another wonderful image that captured one of life's moments, and the boy's fascination with the life in the pond. I think it is the expression of the boy on the right that "makes" this image.  I wonder how the image would have looked with less ambient exposure (so the light coming through the doorway didn't blow out) and with fill flash to illuminate the boys' faces?  There are several high contrast areas (and a few areas of very saturated colors) that tend to pull the viewer's attention away from the primary subject (the boys' faces).  Still, the image succeeds based on the expressions and body language.

Observation
Photographed by Tom Parrish

So how many of you noticed that my two images of McKenzie were taken within four minutes of each other?  (The date/time is in the filename.)  After I took the first picture (21.8 pounds of Spunk) McKenzie decided that she wanted to model for me, so she ran into the bedroom and changed into a prettier shirt.  I was struck by how different the two images were, especially considering that they were taken from the same shooting position (my easychair :) ) in the same light, within four minutes of each other.  The subtle differences in body position (and therefore direction of the light in relation to her face) and the differences in McKenzie's expression were enough to give these two images a totally different feel.

21.8 Pounds of Spunk
Photographed by Keith

My Name is not McKenzie
Photographed by Keith

I loved Dave's Reflecting image, and the story behind it.  This image was a very creative way to convey the feel of being in a gallery space.  I do agree that visiting art shows and museums is one of the best ways to improve our photography.  

Reflecting
People's Choice
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

I enjoyed Luc's series of images showcasing beauty in technical detail.  Creating an image from these graphic designs is a great way to help us improve our composition skills, and many times simply appreciating the aesthetic can help us mature our own sense of design.

beauty in technical detail
Photographed by Luc Bigler

exhaust system of a racing car at the mountain race in St.Ursanne, Switzerland

details of a beautiful black racing car

Luc's series of Urs Müller preparing for the race was a great photo essay, and I though Luc did a great job controlling the exposures for this high-contrast scene.  I wonder if using fill flash (with a strong external flash) would have helped Luc fill in the shadows and would have enabled him to get a better exposure on Urs Muller's face without blowing out the bright white of the car?  Then again, the super bright white of the car helped to give a sense for how blazingly hot it was that day.

Urs Müller preparing for the race:

getting ready is almost as hard as the race itself

before the helmet comes the protection bonnet against burns..

Urs Müller is almost ready for the race

I enjoyed the creativity and the ability to "see" the composition in Luc's image of the Houses of St.Ursanne reflected in the chrome of a Harley Davidson.   What a fun combination of forms and styles.

Houses of St.Ursanne reflected in the chrome of a Harley Davidson

I was impressed by Sue's image of Every Woman's Dream.  I also had to smile at Sue's answer that "The roses were from Mom's rose bushes in the front. They were wilted so I put them to good use."  Now that is the Sue I know. :)  I wonder if this image would have seemed a bit more "complete" if the top of the wine bottle hadn't been cut off?  This was a great take on the "Just for Myself" assignment.  Very nice job pulling together the elements to create this image Sue.

Every Woman's Dream
Photographed by Sue Pepin

Lorin's high jump image was an amazing capture.  Lorin was smart to bump up his ISO and shoot at a relatively wide aperture in order to get the shutter speed (1/1250 sec) needed to prevent motion blur and get a crisp rendition of the fish.  Not to mention the timing and focusing skill required to capture this shot.  Very well done Lorin.

high jump
Photographed by Lorin Schroeder (wildshutter)

Julie did a great job capturing detail in her Wings image.  When working with the very narrow depth of field one would get shooting with a wide open aperture (f3.5) at this level of magnification, it is important to align your film/sensor plane so that it is parallel with the areas of the subject that you want to be in sharp focus.  Awesome job controlling the focus plane in this image Julie.

Wings
Photographed by Julie Schroeder (WriteHeart)

I enjoyed Marilyn's photo essay of Stopping Along the Way, and was happy to see how well this fit in with the assignment.  I liked the video Marilyn put together, even though she was disappointed that the images displayed in the wrong order and she thought the resolution wasn't that great.  I love how music can be used to enhance the feeling or mood of our image presentations.  Thank you for sharing your journey through your images Marilyn.  I'm glad you were able to take time to photograph just for yourself, and very appreciative that you made the effort to share that experience with us.

Stopping Along the Way (follow the links for the video or photo essay)
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

Thank you to everyone that participated in this assignment.  As artists, I think it is sometimes very important to take the time to be creative just for ourselves.  Thank you for sharing your creativity and inspiring us all.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:02:42 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

Thank you, Keith, for the kind feedback.  You really get it.

I thought the photos were very cool in this assignment.  Dave, love the shoes.

Here is a little piece of news.  The government now recognizes that I am self-employed as a photographer as of January 1, 2011.  You actually have to prove your income to be somewhat consistent to be recognized.  So, yay!   Now, if only I can learn to deal with people who want something for nothing...  Hmmmm.

I hope you all have a terrific week.

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you Michele.  Congratulations on being recognized as a self-employed photographer.   (I'm not sure my income from photography is consistent enough that I would pass that test.)   

Your photography and creativity are wonderful gifts.  Thank you for inspiring us all and helping us learn to be more creative with our photography.

You have a terrific week too!

Keith

sue.pepin

Michele, congratulations on your new profession.  You have a wonderful gift and you will be successful.

Keith, I agree.  I noticed after I posted the picture the top of the wine bottle was cut off. The problem I had was the tub is so deep it was hard to get the entire picture into the frame.  Plus, I did not want to show too much leg (didn't want everyone to see the flab & cellulite)!

marilyn

Big time CONGRATULATIONS, Michele.  You are truly gifted and inspirational and so much more!! And I know it doesn't come without a lot of hard work and experience.....

Sue, such a dilemma with the angle of your bath tub shot!  It made me smile....

Keith, thanks for the comments on my "taking time" efforts....The challenge I have with order of photos is on this site.  I'm never sure which ones are going to show up first if I submit 2 or 3 from a photo shoot.  So I hate to go through the context explanation of all of them but sometimes think I've got it in the right order only to find that the one I thought was going to be first is last.  Any advice?  (Like maybe not submitting late at night or at the last minute?   :)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The challenge I have with order of photos is on this site.  I'm never sure which ones are going to show up first if I submit 2 or 3 from a photo shoot.  So I hate to go through the context explanation of all of them but sometimes think I've got it in the right order only to find that the one I thought was going to be first is last.  Any advice?  (Like maybe not submitting late at night or at the last minute?   :)

Hi Marilyn,

Sorry about the confusion.  The gallery software definitely isn't as intuitive as it should be.  One of these days I would like to try to switch the software for something more intuitive, but experience tells me I'd better have a BIG block of time set aside in order to successfully make the switch.  The answer to your question is a three part answer.  First, if you are uploading five images at a time, it is actually the last image in the group of five that gets uploaded first.  (That doesn't make sense to me, but that's the way it is. :)

Second, and more confusing, is that the actual order that the images are displayed in the gallery is determined by each member's gallery preferences.  When you are in an album, there is a menu at the upper right of the album window that enables you to sort the images by title, file name, date/time uploaded or "position" in a gallery.  All of these attributes can be sorted in either ascending or descending order.  The default sort order for files WAS "name ascending" (which works for me since I name my files with date/time); however, once you ask the question I realized how silly this was as a default and switched it to "Position Descending."  "Position descending" will sort the images so that the last image uploaded is the first one displayed.

Third, the album owner can specify a specific order that each individual image will be displayed by using the "Sort my pictures" menu at the top of the gallery page and manually arranging each image in the "proper" order.  (But you have to be the album owner in order to have this option.)

None of these settings effect the order the images will be displayed on the front page.  The front page thumbnails are simply displayed in the order they were initially uploaded to the site.

To summarize:  When initially uploading images, the last image in the list of five gets uploaded first.  The sort order can then be specified by the viewer or by the album owner (if the viewer hasn't changed the default order).

Clear as mud? :)

marilyn

Hi Keith...this all makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation!