Author Topic: "Intimate Landscapes," Weekly Photography Assignment for 22 - 28 August 2011  (Read 3707 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
I hope you don't mind that I am resurrecting an assignment from way back in September of 2008.  As I've started thinking about what type of images I want to help people create while we're in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, the "intimate landscape" is at the top of the list.  I think we all tend to gravitate toward the impressive "grand scenic" images, especially when in a place like Grand Teton National Park; however, I find time after time that the intimate landscape images often hold more meaning for me.

The concept of "intimate landscapes" is attributed to American photographer Elliot Porter (1901 - 1990).  Unlike his contemporaries (Ansel Adams, Edward Weston and others) who photographed primarily "grand vistas," Porter's "intimate landscape" images were small slices of the natural environment that excelled at illustrating why the scene in front of his camera was relevant to a larger and more complex world.  Although his 1979 exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art was titled "intimate landscapes," the genesis of the concept can be seen much earlier, in his 1962 groundbreaking work “In Wildness is the Preservation of the World.”  This book combined stunning large format color images with quotations from Henry David Thoreau extolling the virtues of wilderness, and was the first book published by the Sierra Club.  The book was an immediate success, raising the Sierra Club to national prominence and launching an environmental movement that can be considered the "grandfather" of many of the environmental and conservation groups of today.  

The concept of "intimate landscapes" is one of those hard to define "I'll know it when I see it" concepts, with very few well defined rules.  In general, the intimate landscape concentrates on a small portion of the overall scene and does not include a horizon or skyline.  Unlike the grand scenic, which includes the "grand" view out to infinity, the intimate landscape typically encompasses a view from 10 to 100 feet (3 to 30 meters) in front of the viewer.  (More often closer in, rather than further away.)  The intimate landscape is typically a simple composition which illustrates the relationship between harmonious elements within the scene.  John Fielder calls intimate landscapes "portraits of the planet - its geology and life forms - without the distraction of what is happening [in the larger landscape]."

Naomi's Eden image (from way back in 2008) is still a great example of an intimate landscape:

Eden

Even though we are composing an image on a much more intimate scale than the "grand scenic," you should still try to compose your intimate landscape with near, middle and far elements to convey depth, and use leading lines (and leading light) to guide the viewer into and through the scene.

Avalanche Creek, Glacier National Park, Montana

The assignment for 22 - 28 August 2011 is "Intimate Landscapes."  You should compose an image of the natural landscape that illustrates the relationships between harmonious elements within the scene.  Please upload your images to the "Intimate Landscapes" album in the Weekly Assignments Category of the Gallery no later than midnight Mountain Time (GMT-07:00) on Sunday, 28 August 2011.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:36:53 PM by keithsnell »

Luc Bigler

This assignment seems right up my alleyway, but I am not sure I will be able to participate. It would have to be today or tomorrow as I am up for an eye operation early on Wednesday. So I will be out of action for some time.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Luc, I hope the eye operation goes well, and that you recover quickly.

Keith

RebeccaSnell

• Administrator
Luc, all the best with your eye operation, we will be thinking of you.  Perhaps you will then see everything in a whole new 'light' after the operation!  Keep us posted.

Rebecca

Michele

Take care of yourself, Luc.  Thinking of you!

Luc Bigler

Thank you for your encouraging words and thoughts. This is very touching from people (with the exception of Michèle) I have never met in person.