Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Friends" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 1965 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Thank you to everyone that participated in the "Friends" assignment, I enjoyed seeing your wonderful images and the interactions between friends that you captured.

Chris submitted a great series of images of the Andover baseball team, with my favorite being his image of The Team.  This was a wonderful image with an interesting mix of expressions.  I think Chris did a great job capturing the multifaceted personality of The Team.  The mix of expressions definitely piques the viewer to wonder what #18 is saying to the team.

The Team
Photographed by Chris Franklin

Chris' image of the players Out in Left Field wasn't quite as sharp as the other two images, and I wonder if this might be due to a combination of factors.  First, the longer the focal length of the lens, the more important it is to use good hand-holding or tripod technique to prevent motion blur.  This is especially important with high resolution sensors like that in the D7000.  The other potential contributing factor is that most telephoto lenses with this zoom range tend to loose sharpness at their longest focal lengths.  Over time most photographers learn what focal lengths their lenses excel at, and what focal lengths the lens weaknesses show through in the images.

Out in Left Field

Chris captured more great expressions in his Andover image; however this image wasn't quite as strong as the first, and didn't have as well-defined center of interest as Chris' image of The Team.

Andover

Rick's image of Man's Best Friend was a very strong composition with great clarity and wonderful expressions.  More than anything else, what made this image was the light in Buddy's (the chocolate Lab) eyes.  It's interesting to note that the slight shift in positions between Buddy and Bodie resulted in such great light in Buddy's eyes (lighting up the iris) with just so-so light in Bodies eyes.  I've seen this same phenomenon in people, where I've noticed that there is often a small range of positions where the light is at the right angle to illuminate the iris.  Rick managed a great exposure for this image, and captured wonderful clarity with his 105mm lens (obviously focused on Buddy's eyes).  It's the wonderful expressions that make this image though, strongly reinforced by the light in Buddy's eyes.  I should note that the white balance seems a little off on my calibrated monitor (and on Rebecca's Spectraview monitor as well), and a slight shift toward magenta was needed to correct the slight green tint in the image and give the colors more clarity.  Overall though this was a wonderful, extremely well executed image that tied for People's Choice and was selected as Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit.  Nicely done Rick!

Man's Best Friend
Tied for People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit
Photographed by Rick Pepin

Thank you to everyone that voted for my image of Makin' Cupcakes.  This wasn't a very strong image either technically or artistically, and I'm guessing that people voted for the image based on the fact that it captured friendship in action.  I found that the most important aspect of capturing successful images of friendship was timing.  It was a challenge to have my camera ready to snap a shot when the kids were interacting nicely as friends, while eliminating all of the other distractions in the scene.  (You can tell that this image is cropped, which eliminated another group of kids in the background that weren't interacting quite as nicely.)

Makin' Cupcakes
Tied for People's Choice
Photographed by Keith

The success of my Infatuation image was based on timing as well.  I intended to take a quick snapshot of Nina playing dress-up when Evan saw me putting the camera to my eye and ran up to be included in the image.  His "google eyes" and silly expression lasted only for a moment but I was lucky enough to be ready to capture the shot.

Infatuation
Photographed by Keith

Rebecca's mom and aunt helped with McKenzie's tea party birthday celebration and were kind enough to pose (just a second) for this shot.  I didn't have a lot of time to set up the image, but in retrospect I could have done some things better.  I tried to include some of the table to set the context of tea time, but the image would have been stronger if I had actually included a tea pot and cup!  And I had to crop the image to eliminate parts of the background that were distracting.  Bouncing the flash off the ceiling helped prevent the roses on the table from blowing out as they would have if I had used direct flash.

Tea Time
Photographed by Keith

It was again the expressions that made the image in Marilyn's Strawberry Friends composition, and it was Ashlynn's eyes that conveyed the most expression.  Marilyn did a great job with the flash exposure on this image, with only the very tiniest hint of a shadow from the flash to indicate that she used a flash.  Great capture Marilyn.

Strawberry Friends
Photographed by Marilyn

Shee did a great job capturing expressions of friendship in her two images.  Her decision to convert the images to black and white was very astute, since this helps minimize the impact of potentially distracting backgrounds and helps to focus the viewer's attention on the primary subjects and their interaction.  Obviously timing was very important in the successful capture of Shee's boys will be boys image as well.  Nicely done Shee!

Little sister, Big brother
Photographed by Sheila "Shee" Anchetta (burzilai)

boys will be boys
Photographed by Sheila "Shee" Anchetta (burzilai)

Thank you again to everyone that participated in this assignment.  I enjoyed the wonderful expressions of friendship you captured in your images.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:51:10 PM by keithsnell »

Chris

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Friends" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:59:18 PM »
You're right about Out in Left Field. I didn't have my tripod handy nor did I take extra care to use good handholding technique. I saw them sitting out there, zoomed in and clicked. You're also right about the focal length. The 70-300 seems to require excellent technique to get sharp images @300mm. I'd also say the iso of 1600 didn't help, especially since I believe it was cropped quite a bit.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:07:31 PM by Chris »