Author Topic: Results and Feedback from the "Heat" assignment  (Read 4494 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback from the "Heat" assignment
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
The guidelines for this assignment were simply to compose an image that conveys the concept of HEAT.  In addition, I challenged Marilyn (and others) to try to capture the "heat waves" or atmospheric distortion that often happens with extremely hot ground surface temperatures.

Alan's image titled What more do I have to do? definitely conveyed the concept of heat.  The long panting tongue, pleading eyes, and almost empty bowl cradled in the dog's paws, and the way it was stretched out on the rocks all helped the viewer empathize with this dog that was obviously feeling the heat.  Nicely done Alan.

What more do I have to do?
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot)

I enjoyed Alan's follow-on image titled Won’t find me panting by an empty bowl!.  This image looked like it was a bit soft, perhaps caused by motion blur from using a long focal length lens with a slower shutter speed.

Won’t find me panting by an empty bowl!
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot)

Julie's two images taken After the Fire were also effective at conveying the concept of heat.  I thought the first image (After the Fire) was the most effective one.  The smoke added to the perception of heat, and the twisted metal added an interesting design element to the image.

After the Fire
Photographed by Julie Schroeder (WriteHeart)

Smoldering Ruins

Shee's Sand Dunes images were both wonderful images, captured and processed in a way that really accentuated the perception of heat.  I commented in the Gallery that normally I might think the saturated colors in Sand Dunes 1 were a bit over-the-top, but that in this case I thought the saturated colors and rich tones really made this image "sing."  It's a bit too rich to represent "reality", but is very effective at creating a hyper-real perception of an imaginary place where it is really, really hot.  Even though they are small in the frame, the two individuals in the scene add a tremendous amount to our interpretation, with the stooped posture of the first individual giving the impression that they are struggling up the slope, and the somewhat hesitant stride of the person behind conveying that they too are struggling with the idea of continuing on.  As Dave mentioned, "the sweep of the lines and forms work in such an elegant way. It really does all come together and 'sing'."  The composition, exposure and rendering of Sand Dunes 1 all contribute to a very powerful artistic interpretation of this environment, and the results deserve recognition as Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

sand dunes1
Photographed by Sheila Anchetta (burzilai)
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit

Sand Dunes 2 shared the super-saturated intensity of Sand Dunes 1, with the additional element of strong sunlight glaring into the frame.  Normally I would avoid sunlight striking the front of the lens (it causes too much flare and image degradation) but in this case it contributes to the sense of intense heat and glare one would experience climbing this steep (and hot) dune while facing into the sun.  The technique is very effective in this situation, and reminds me that sometimes I should bend the rules and shoot into the sun in order to achieve an effect that accentuates a certain "feeling" and contributes to the success of the image.

sand dunes 2

Rick's image of Keeping cool in the heat was very well done, with great composition and timing.  Shooting this scene in overcast light (or evening shade?) certainly helped alleviated what would have been a very high contrast and challenging scene if shot in direct sunlight.  I might have tried this image in vertical format in order to accentuate the height of the jump.  

Keeping cool in the heat
Photographed by Rick Pepin (TrvlRick)

Rick's image of the Evaporatinvg Pond captivated me with the rich colors and ominous weather.  Rick mentioned the tracks around the dried up edge of the pond, and I imagine that a composition where he got much closer (and lower) and shot with a super wide-angle lens might have been very effective at conveying the loss of water and effect it was having on the wildlife.

Evaporatinvg Pond

Lorin's images of coals and Flame were both very effective, with perhaps the glowing red coals of the first image being the most effective.  I also wonder if using a slightly wider aperture would have helped to soften the somewhat distracting background.  Softening the background just a bit would have reduced the contrast and shifted more of the emphasis to the primary subject of the burning wood.

coals
Photographed by Lorin Schroeder (Wildshutter)

Flame
Photographed by Lorin Schroeder (TrvlRick)

Rick did a great job with his July 4th Fireworks image, filling the frame with nice warm colors.

July 4th Fireworks

Julie's Starfire Flower image is a striking simple and elegant composition, with a strong design and interesting "stars" of bright light (that I assume were caused by using a small aperture).  (Anybody want to bet that the lens Julie was shooting with has a 6-blade aperture?  :) )  I love this composition Julie.  Nicely done.

Starfire Flower

Chris' Hot as the sun? image was interesting primarily because of interesting optical effects caused by the super-bright high contrast light.  That's the first time I've seen lens flare caused by fireworks, and the prism-like effect was very interesting.  What do you think caused the prism effect Chris?  Did you have a filter on the lens?

Hot as the sun?
Photographed by Chris Franklin

I loved the devious expression in Chris' image titled Don't play with fire kid!.  I've seen that expression before...

Don't play with fire kid!

It's interesting comparing Chris' image titled More Fireworks with some of the other fireworks images.  Somehow this composition isn't as "simple and elegant" as some of the others, and therefore doesn't work quite as well for me.  Perhaps there's just a bit too much disjointed action in this one to strike a chord with me.  

Of all Chris' fireworks images, I like More Fireworks 3 the best.  More Fireworks 3 has compositional elements that seem to fit together better into a pleasing design, along with complementary colors.  I might have cropped this image a bit tighter, but overall I like the very dynamic design, with movement and colors that fit together well to convey an overall impression of a spiraling explosion of color.

More Fireworks

More Fireworks 2

More Fireworks 3

More Fireworks 4

Shee's fireworks images were both pleasing compositions, with FW2 being the more successful of the two, with saturated color (and no areas that were too bright) and well balanced, complimentary visual elements.

FW1

FW2

Dave's Fiery Searcher Beetle was a wonderful capture with great clarity and color.  Thanks for a fascinating peek into the world of this insect Dave.  (And I'm impressed that you were able to capture the image using mirror lockup and a cable release.  I suspect that your persistence and diligence paid paid off by contributing to the wonderful detail and clarity in this image.)  NIcely done!

Fiery Searcher Beetle
Photographed by Dave Leiker

I loved the expressions in Michele's Hungry? image, and am very appreciative that she continues to inspire us by creating her images.  I think most of us fall into the rut of capturing images that we manage to find, but it takes a special creative mind to be able to "create" images from a preconceived notion.  I'm not sure how she managed to create the effect, but the steam or smoke in the oven (and the red glow of the heat elements) really contributes to the perception of heat.  What makes the image most special though are those wonderful expressions.  I hope the kids enjoyed the apple strudel.  Thank you Michele for being such an inspiration.  I think this creative effort deserves another Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.

Hungry?
Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

I suspect that Dave's Hot Summer Morning image can best be appreciated when viewed as a large print on the wall.  Dave mentioned that he created this image by stitching together seven exposures, and I can imagine how impressive the lush prairie and wonderful cloud formations look when viewed as a wide panoramic scene.  It's tough to do with a panoramic image, but Dave did a wonderful job creating the perception of depth in this image, with the "near, middle and far" layers and leading the viewer through the low valley, to the small pond and then the light on the horizon.  VERY well done!

Hot Summer Morning
Photographed by Dave Leiker

Rebecca provided a slightly different view with her series of fireworks images.  Taking the images earlier in the evening when there was still some ambient light created the interesting silhouette effect in her Nightshow at the ranch image, providing a bit more atmosphere and an interesting juxtaposition of the "hot" fireworks against the cool blue background.  I do like seeing the interesting context of these fireworks displays.

Nightshow at the ranch
Photographed by Rebecca

sparkle
Photographed by Rebecca

snap crackle pop
Photographed by Rebecca

Marilyn's image of Vehicular heat distortions was the one I most wanted to reward for this assignment, since she managed to effectively capture those elusive "heat distortions" that we see all the time but have difficulty capturing in images.  Marilyn was astute to use a telephoto lens to capture this effect, since the more "atmosphere" you can put between you and your subject, the more visible the effect will be.  I sense that Marilyn was a little unsure about whether or not this was a good image; however, I think she was very successful at capturing the heat distortions.  I'm most impressed with the "reflection" of the headlights in the heat mirage under the car.  Awesome capture Marilyn, I think you did a great job capturing the heat waves.  This effect is very difficult to capture, and I think Marilyn's efforts deserve recognition as Editor's Choice for Technical Merit.  Thanks for accepting the challenge Marilyn!  Other folks obviously appreciated this image as well, since it was voted People's Choice.

Vehicular heat distortions
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Technical Merit
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

SUV wheels take the heat

Marilyn did a great job capturing the intensity of the thunderstorm in her Desert Thunderstorm image, with the inclusion of the truck providing a great sense of scale.

Desert Thunderstorm

Rick also did a great job capturing the "sizzle" in his Grilled bacon image.  As Michele said in her comments, "The bubbling of the fat and the char lines tell me not to touch. Yum."

Grilled bacon

Thank you again to everyone that participated in this assignment.  I'm inspired by your creativity, and by your perseverance.

Keith
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:59:17 PM by keithsnell »

Chris

Re: Results and Feedback from the "Heat" assignment
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
No filter on the fireworks. I'd guess it was some kind of crud. I was constantly cleaning my lens that day.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »
No filter on the fireworks. I'd guess it was some kind of crud. I was constantly cleaning my lens that day.

It looks cool though, and I think the rainbow of colors contributes to the image.

marilyn

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »
Wow!  Thanks everyone for the votes, and Keith, for the recognition for technical merit.  This was a really interesting challenge to try to capture heat waves (it was actually a pretty hot experience getting down low with the tripod and literally crouching on the hot asphalt.)  I'm really working on trying to better understand how to play with settings, lenses, etc. in order to deal with the discrepancy between what we see with our eyes and what the camera "sees."  Thanks to wonderful mentors on this site as well as my faithful and knowledgeable photography companion - Clay - it's all slowly but surely starting to make sense....

Michele

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 02:56:34 AM »
Thank you, Keith and now I feel guilty because I thought I answered that question.  I took the original photo inside the cool, gray oven and at first I really tried to sharpen the strudel but I couldn't do it very well or there was no way to save it.  I then added the various colors  (red, brown, orange, white) by changing the paint brush to color instead of normal for the oven itself.  As for the steam, I used white and and put the paintbrush back to normal, and made the steam layer 20 % opacity.  I also used the eraser a lot with a huge size to have a very spaced out feathering effect.

I did not spend too much time on the photo because I was discouraged by the strudel.  I was blown away by all the amazing photos in this assignment and also lately they have been really sensational.  I am really so impressed by everyone.  The photos have been so beautiful!

We have had cold, rainy, yucky past weeks.  It has been a pathetic summer vacation for the kids weather-wise.  But from what I have been seeing with all the heatwaves and dangerous levels, I would not be able to handle that well because we don't have air-conditioners in Switzerland.  

I appreciate the motivation, Keith and thank you again.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:01:01 AM by Michele »

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »
Thank you Michele.  I think painting in the "steam" was a very effective way to enhance the photo.

I suspect that lots of people over here would be willing to trade our super hot temperatures (we made it up to 44 degrees celsius yesterday) for your "cold, rainy and yucky" weather :)

Thanks for inspiring us all to be creative.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
I understand but imagine waking up to 3-5 degrees.  We had that last week too.  A few hail storms as well.  We just stare and maintain the outdoor pool for who knows why...

But at least we can put something on to warm up...  Today we had a high of 13 with a couple of sunny breaks.

Michèle

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
Yes, I imagine that cabin fever would start setting in. 

It looks like it's going to be a long HOT summer for us.

burzilai

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 08:48:25 PM »
Thanks for everyone that voted, Marilyn I voted for your image I really think that heat distortion/mirage conveys heat no doubt, I was thinking of getting  a shot like that but couldn't find it, didnt know where to go to find such. Keith thank you for the artistic merit, and as usual the different feedbacks you gave , every image were really superb, with your comments, they provide a very good learning tool.
I know what you  mean re: shooting directly into the sun, I thought about it, then I remember I can swivel my LCD, I was using my D5000 so there you go LOL!! and I thought the sun ( if showing a little bit) can contribute to the overall image.
Shee :)