Author Topic: Crested Butte Workshop--a few images of the participants  (Read 4379 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Crested Butte Workshop--a few images of the participants
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:17:05 PM »
First of all I want to say thank you to all the participants in the 2011 Crested Butte Workshop.  I had a wonderful time reuniting with old friends and meeting new ones in the beautiful mountains surrounding Crested Butte.  Everyone was very helpful and encouraging, and I think almost everyone learned as much from the other participants as they did from me.  As each photographer discovered a new technique or beautiful scene, they would share it with the other photographers and encourage them to create beautiful images as well.  I think everyone came home with images they will be proud to show their friends and family.  As is usually the case, I wish we could have had more time to explore, photograph, review images and learn together.  I'm looking forward to doing this again next year...

I rarely take the time to photograph for myself during the workshops, and the few images I do take during the course of the workshop are usually "documentary" images of the participants in the field.  Here are a few of those images:

Veronika Gaia on upper Brush Creek Road
(Veronika created a stunning image of this scene, composing so that the tall sunflowers in the middle of this image were on the right hand side and very prominent in the frame, with the middle and background filled with a sea of color.)

Tom Parish on Gothic Road
(This patch of wildflowers along Gothic Road provided a great opportunity to isolate a single sunflower in a wash of blue and yellow bokeh, as well as the opportunity to create a "grand scenic" with the spectacular mountain ridge in the background.)

Annie Odoy on upper Brush Creek Road
(Annie created a stunning "grand scenic" from this location, with the valley in the middle distance (off the left side of the frame) used to draw the viewer deep into the scene and to the next range of mountains in the distance.)

Sue and Rick Pepin on Brush Creek Road
(This location provided a great learning experience, and I think many of us found that our most creative images were the ones where we isolated the subject instead of trying to capture it all in one frame.)

Rick Pepin on upper Brush Creek Road
(Rick lost his glasses in this field, right beside the yellow flower...  Still, someone was looking over us during this workshop.  We all joined in the search and it wasn't long until we found Rick's glasses.)

Jim Porter and Veronika Gaia in Robinson Basin
(Rick, Sue and Tom stayed a bit lower down the mountain.  Something about the road conditions not agreeing with the undercarriage of a new Ford Explorer?  :) )

Thank you again to all of you.  I made new friends, renewed old friendships, learned from all of you, and returned home from the mountains with a renewed spirit.

Keith
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:57:29 PM by keithsnell »

wildshutter

• Lorin and Julie's photo's
Re: Crested Butte Workshop--a few images of the participants
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »
STUNNIG views, I hope we are able to go next year!!!
Lorin

marilyn

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:48:32 PM »
These are gorgeous images - I feel like I've been transported back to Crested Butte and the experience of last summer. I love seeing the photos and reading about how participants tried something that took hold and others worked on similar techniques. How cool that Veronika could be there again - I'm curious about the first photo posted, Keith.  Are you talking about a different image that Veronika created  because isn't that her in THIS photo?  Thanks for sharing!!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
I'm curious about the first photo posted, Keith.  Are you talking about a different image that Veronika created  because isn't that her in THIS photo?  Thanks for sharing!!

Hi Marilyn,

Yes, Veronika is in the photo, and in the text I was trying to explain that she was in the process of composing a stunning image of part of the overall scene I had included in my shot.  (Sorry, I didn't do a very good job explaining.)  Veronika composed her shot so that the slightly more prominent flowers shown in the middle of my scene were on the right side of her scene and much more prominent in the frame.  (She was much closer.) 

I was recording the photographers as they worked, and then tried to explain what types of compositions they were creating from the scene.  I suspect that my description of Annie's "grand scenic" was even more confusing, since you can't really see the "valley in the middle distance" or the "far mountain range" in the image I posted.  I should have asked for a copy of Annie's image so that I could post it after my photo of her working.  Next year I'll try to do a better job of getting copies of some of the participant's work so I can share what they have created.  It's always a great learning experience to see how different people approach a scene, and to see the different interpretations they can create from it.

marilyn

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »
Hi Keith....After I wrote that comment, I went in and looked at a bunch of others and realized what a great job you had done of capturing all of the photographers in action, and then I went back to last year's, remembering you had done the same thing.  You're so good about that!  I do understand what was going on and think it would be a cool photo story, showing some of the ways that the group learned from each other to explore and practice various techniques.  But then again, if you did that, you'd have no time for anything else - like all of the careful feedback you always give to us, and very importantly, continuing to work with your own images and learning.  Thank you!