Author Topic: "Photo Essay," Multi-Week Photography Assignment for July 2011 - 7 August 2011  (Read 13986 times)

TrvlRick

Drilling a well has really been a experience and we have learned alot including how to be a "Water Witcher"

Water Witching also known as Dowsing is how they find where to drill for water. You would think there would be a more scientific way to find water. The witching did not work the first time so we had to drill a second well.

The drilling trucks 
One truck has the drilling rig and the other holds the water and extra pipe.

Sam operating the drill.

Drilling the well 
It took about 2 days to drill the well to 400 feet and put the casing in. This photo shows the water and sand blowing out the pipe while they are drilling. 

Hit Water! 
Fineally hit water about 70 feet down. They ended up drilling down to 400 feet. 

Sue helping the guys check the water flow!

Ditch for the new water line 
They had to dig a 550 foot ditch to put the water line and power line in to connect to the home.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Great photo essay Rick.  My favorite images are the water witching and "the ditch."

Have you made any progress on the well?  Are they going to drill again?

TrvlRick

The second well that was drilled seems to be working just fine. I am told by the inlaws (who are staying there again) that the water is flowing and clean. So it sounds like the well will be a good one.  :D

keithsnell

• Administrator
The second well that was drilled seems to be working just fine. I am told by the inlaws (who are staying there again) that the water is flowing and clean. So it sounds like the well will be a good one.  :D

Good to hear!

TrvlRick

Keith, is this post in the right place? I tried to put it under the Photo Essay assignment thread but aparently did something wrong.

keithsnell

• Administrator
Keith, is this post in the right place? I tried to put it under the Photo Essay assignment thread but aparently did something wrong.

Yup, this is the right place.  You didn't do anything wrong, your post just went to page 2 on the thread.  (You can hit the link to page 1 at the bottom of the thread to get back to the first page.)

Keith

marilyn

Hi all ~ I've been playing with a lot of ideas  and ways of displaying a story for this assignment.  These photos have literally been moved from Canon DPP, to Aperture3 to Picasa.  I guess what I can say at this point is  that I've learned a lot in this process.  I also had a great day with Ashlynn and in the end, that's what counts most!

So hopefully this link will take you to a Picasa slide show.  Click on "slideshow" at the top left.  Once it starts you can click on the +  next to "seconds" at the bottom of the screen to make sure you have enough time to read the story.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=marilynmckinney049&target=ALBUM&id=5637182542420733681&authkey=Gv1sRgCIrP1L2B_vqPfg&feat=email
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:04:05 PM by marilyn »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Fun photo essay Marilyn.  I like how you mentioned that there was a blue cover, as that helps explain the blue cast to some of the photos.  (Since we know  they're taken under a blue cover, now the color seems OK.)  Glad you had a fun day!  You captured some great expressions.

Keith

marilyn

I really worked to try to eliminate the blue cast on Aperture3 but they didn't translate to Picasa very well. (I figured I better mention the blue cover!)  Should I also upload the photos into the gallery or is this link ok?

keithsnell

• Administrator
Should I also upload the photos into the gallery or is this link ok?

This link works great.  No need to upload the images in the gallery.  Thank you for taking the time and effort to do this!

Keith

marilyn

Ok, thanks, Keith.  I've also been working slowly on a website called Exploring Light and using Alaska photos (started during our summer institute).  It will be a long term work in progress, but when I get a little bit more done on that I'll send the link.

Luc Bigler

I just uploaded my 11 pictures for the photo essay. I did not manage to do it as nicely as Rick. They all went as individual photos into the gallery. The texts which tell the story are numbered. The introductory phrase needs to be added:
We spent our holidays in the North of France, in the Champagne area. Herein lies a knight's tale:

1)Comte de Champagne (1201-1253) and king of  Navarre, known as Thibaud le Posthume is the most renouned of the counts of  Champagne.
2) He represents the archetype of the mediaeval lord: valiant chevalier and gentleman poet.
3)He contributed to the art of poetry and song at the court of Louis IX, leaving to posterity a remarkable variety and quality of poetic work. 
4) He participated in the sixth crusade, leaving behind him his fortified town of Provins (this here is actually Sedan)
5) and well built castle
6) When he returned in 1239 he brought back with him the Damascene rose (still cultivated today) and a vine called 'Chardonnay' without which there would be no champagne.
7) The Benedictine monks of Saint Nicaise in Reims dug out the cellars below the abbey in XIII century (first used as a quarry by the Romans and as a shelter for persecuted Christians in IV century) in which to store the wine they developed from the Chardonnay grapes. To reach the lower levels the visitor descends first to 12 metres below ground (constant temperature 12°C) and to reach the quarry area to 20 metres (constant temperature 10°C).
8)10 millions bottles (ranging from 5dl to 15 litres in size!)
9) are stored in 4 km of passage ways
10) After the stiff climb back up, the opportunity to taste the precious drink
11) is not likely to be refused. The remaining question: to buy or not to buy?!

keithsnell

• Administrator
Wonderful series of images Luc.  Do yo mind if I put them all together for you, along with the text into a forum post?  (It would just take me a minute or two.)

Keith

Luc Bigler

thanks, Keith, that would be great! I also forgot to give the overall title which is
Structures and patterns - Champagne region in France.

AND: I learned 3 important lessons during this holiday:
1. Never go on an holiday - and especially not when you intend to visit and photograph the interior of buildings - without your tripod.
2. Do not use the automatic sport mode if you want to capture dynamic movement (I did this during a jousting tournament - the photos are sharp, but the sense of movement is lost. Quite static and boring...
3. Remember to remove sunshade from lens before using flash.
ALL very basic really  :)

keithsnell

• Administrator
thanks, Keith, that would be great! I also forgot to give the overall title which is
Structures and patterns - Champagne region in France.

AND: I learned 3 important lessons during this holiday:
1. Never go on an holiday - and especially not when you intend to visit and photograph the interior of buildings - without your tripod.
2. Do not use the automatic sport mode if you want to capture dynamic movement (I did this during a jousting tournament - the photos are sharp, but the sense of movement is lost. Quite static and boring...
3. Remember to remove sunshade from lens before using flash.
ALL very basic really  :)

All good lessons to remember.  I forget the sunshade and flash one most often.