Author Topic: "Portraits by Window Light," Assignment for 2 - 15 May 2011 (Extended)  (Read 3451 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
I'm still trying to become a better portrait photographer.  I'm getting better about controlling the quality (and quantity) of light in my attempts at portrait images, but not so good yet at controlling the direction or angle of the light relative to my subject.  Chuck Gardner has an exercise on his site that is designed primarily to help photographers "learn how light works to model a face in 3D" so that they can take better portrait images.  That exercise is "Portraits by Window Light," and the discussion at the link is well worth reading.  It might also be useful to review his tutorial titled "From Clueless to Competent with Studio Lighting" which is designed to provide a "starting baseline" for effective portrait lighting.  Both tutorials emphasize the direction of light relative to the subject, in addition to providing guidance on what camera angles are the most flattering for the typical portrait subject.

The assignment for the week of 2 - 15 May 2011 is "Portraits by Window Light."  Please upload your images to the album by that name in the Weekly Assignments category of the gallery by midnight Mountain Time (GMT -07:00) on Sunday, 15 May 2011.  NOTE:  I've extended this assignment for a week by request.

I'll leave you with this beautiful portrait by window light taken by Michele Bollhalder of her daughter Lauren:

Bedtime
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:22:58 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
This is an assignment I'd love to participate in, but it's been an incredibly busy week and the weekend is also booked up.  Any chance this one can be extended another week?
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for asking.  Yes!  This is an assignment I wanted to participate in as well, but time is running out for me too.  So yes, I'd love to extend it another week.  (I've modified the assignment description accordingly.)

Thank you again for asking.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:23:43 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Wonderful!  Thanks Keith.

marilyn

Great news!  I'm swamped with end of the semester grading among other things!  What a relief!!  Thanks!!

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
I managed to break out into the country to do some photography with friends but never got my window-light portrait done.  I do have an idea burning in my mind and will to it eventually. 

keithsnell

• Administrator
I managed to break out into the country to do some photography with friends but never got my window-light portrait done.  I do have an idea burning in my mind and will to it eventually. 

I'll look forward to seeing it!