Author Topic: recommended Reading: "Stuff I wish I'd never bought"  (Read 3650 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
recommended Reading: "Stuff I wish I'd never bought"
« on: April 20, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
Here's a  great article by Roger Cicala, the owner of www.lensrentals.com  The more I read of his blog, the more impressed I am, and the more likely I am to recommend his company to anyone that is looking to rent lenses.  His article titled "Stuff I wish I'd never bought" could just as well been titled "lessons learned from a gear-head."  Roger gives examples of several items he regrets buying, but uses these as examples to point out several "lessons" that should help us not to make similar mistakes.  I think it's well worth reading, especially, if like me, you tend to get excited about the promise of new technology.

Here's the link:  http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/01/stuff-i-wish-id-never-bought

Happy reading,

Keith

P.S.
One of the lessons I keep relearning is "Lesson 4: You Can't Make a Silk Purse Out of a Sow's Ear."  I think I'm actually better than most people in this regard, and often spend a ridiculous amount of time researching before I purchase, but every now and then I still fall victim to the idea that I can get by with a cheaper alternative.  

Last year I bought an inexpensive ($23.99) 6.5ft light stand from Adorama.  This year I upgraded to a $89.00 12 ft light stand that I am MUCH happier with, and I wish I would have avoided wasting the money on the cheaper stand.  The newer stand is much more stable and extends to a much more useful height.  (Your light stand should allow you to put your lights at least 3 feet above your portrait subjects, so obviously a 6.5 ft light stand is quite a bit of a compromise. :)  Luckily most of my "lessons learned" in this category aren't too expensive, and I usually find another use for the cheaper items, so not all is lost.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:02:20 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

Re: recommended Reading: "Stuff I wish I'd never bought"
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »
Love the website, thank you for recommending it.  Lots of information.  (Makes me wonder which Canon 1D Mk III I have...)

wildshutter

• Lorin and Julie's photo's
Re: recommended Reading: "Stuff I wish I'd never bought"
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:25:56 AM »
Julie and I based a lot of the lenses we rented for the yellowstone trip last year form Roger's comments. We have been VERY happy with the quality of lens and customer service form Lens Rentals. I like how he does not beat around the bush and speaks plain about the item he is reviewing. If you follow their site close they sell used equipment. They only let an item go out for a specific number of rentals then they sell it as used.
Lorin