Author Topic: Outdoor Portrait Session  (Read 4298 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Outdoor Portrait Session
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
Rebecca photographed an outdoor portrait session for a friend and her daughter today, and I assisted with lighting and equipment.  I think her friend would be too self-conscious to let us post images of her, but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the setup, and test exposures with Evan and McKenzie.

Here's the scene:

Eastborough Park, a nice little city park close to our house.

Now let's put one of our test models into the scene:

Yikes, McKenzie's dress is blowing out, and her face is in the shadows.

Let's adjust the exposure to try to save the highlights:

OK, we saved the highlights, but obviously that isn't the answer, since both the background and McKenzie's face are underexposed.  We could try to bring those up in post processing; however, that has a tendency to make the colors and tonal transitions "flat" and unflattering and looks too unnatural.

Obviously the scene has too much contrast.  To make it work, we will need to reduce the overall contrast of the scene by either brightening the shadows, or attenuating the highlights, or both.  We'll start by setting our ambient exposure for a decent background exposure, and then using flash to open up the shadows.  (If it was just one person in the portraits, we could probably use a reflector, but my reflectors aren't really big enough to provide coverage for two people.)  Here's the flash setup we'll be using:

Einstein 640ws studio flash powered by a Vagabond mini battery and bounced into a Photek 51" soft silver umbrella

(That's my flash equipment bag hanging from the light stand.  It was fairly windy, and I needed the extra weight to keep the stand from blowing over.  That's also why I used the 51" umbrella instead of my more efficient 64" parabolic umbrella.  I was afraid the extra surface area of the 64" would be too much of a "sail" in the wind.)

Here's the shot with the Einstein studio strobe.  Rebecca's exposure settings are ISO 160 (the D3 base ISO is 200, but you can set "low" ISO at -0.3, -0.7 and -1 EV), f16 and a shutter speed of 1/200.  This is one third of a stop less than a "sunny sixteen" exposure, so in theory this should be a good starting point.

Almost there!  However we still have problems with both the highlights and the background exposure.  McKenzie's dress is still blowing out in the direct sunlight, and the background is still a bit dark.  We need to increase the exposure for the background, but if we do, we will make the blown highlights on McKenzie's dress even worse.  So now that we've tried filling in the shadows to control the contrast, we need to attack the problem from the other end and try to attenuate the highlights.  There isn't any appropriate "open shade" nearby that will give us the background we want, so instead I hold up a 1-stop Wescott diffusion panel to soften the direct sunlight and reduce its intensity by approximately 1 stop,  This reduces the brightness of the sunshine on McKenzie's dress enough to control the highlights, and it also enables Rebecca to increase her ambient exposure to get the background rendition she wants.  Here's the result:

The image above is "straight from the camera" with no post processing required.  Just the way we like them!  We've finished our setup just in time for our friend's arrival.  Thanks Evan and McKenzie for being great test models again. :)

If any of you have any questions on our setup, please feel free to ask.

Keith

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:17:44 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Re: Outdoor Portrait Session
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 04:33:25 AM »
Great tutorial, clearly explained and beautifully illustrated.   Portraits in that kind of light are very tough. It's amazing to see how you were able to tweak lighting sources and exposure to tame it.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:26 AM »
Thank you.  That's the first time I had an opportunity to test/practice with my studio flash for outdoor portraits. 

I don't really like the flat lighting with on-camera flash, and once you make the effort to move the flash off camera, it's pretty simple to upgrade to a more powerful studio flash/strobe.  I had tried this with double hot shoe flashes firing into an umbrella, but still seemed to be fighting for enough power to overpower the sun.  The new Vagabond mini battery is small and light enough (3.5 lbs) that it makes it fairly easy to take my studio flash with me "on location" in a package that's just a tiny bit larger, and much easier to set up than my old double hot-shoe flash setup was (and actually less expensive than a double hot-shoe flash solution).   I'm going to love having this much control over the lighting.

Keith

marilyn

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:40:58 PM »
This is a really helpful tutorial, Keith.  And what a great Easter shot of McKenzie and Evan for posterity!!

wildshutter

• Lorin and Julie's photo's
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:05:10 PM »
Julie and I attended a photo meetup here in Colorado Springs last week that helped usworkon off camera lighting (which we have none  :) ). A few meet up members brought their lighting (some home made and some commercial) and let us "play". When the group leader was setting up this shot I did not understand how it would work until we started shooting. With the sun directly behind the model I did not see how the flash was going to over come the shadowing. We also were using a reflector to try and get the same results, this was a BLAST! I do not have much experience using an off camera flash and this really got me excited to learn more about it.
Lorin

wildshutter

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »
another view
Lorin

wildshutter

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »
After this photo shoot, I have been looking at online plans for how to take "old" camera flashesandconvert them stand flashes for off camera lighting. A lot cheaper then the studio loghting and have some limitations also.
Lorin

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »
After this photo shoot, I have been looking at online plans for how to take "old" camera flashesandconvert them stand flashes for off camera lighting. A lot cheaper then the studio loghting and have some limitations also.

Hi Lorin,

You will eventually discover that whatever "old" flash you buy should be able to be powered from an external battery pack.  If not, you'll be stuck with ridiculously long recycle times.  I know the Nikon SB-28 took external power packs, and you should be able to get it for a decent price (since it isn't compatible with the new flash system in Nikon's digital cameras.)  The SB-80 might be another option.  I'm not sure what the Canon equivalents might be, but traditionally only their most expensive flashes accepted external power packs.  Note that some flashes can be modified to accept external power through a battery chamber insert, but that only supplies low voltage power to the flash.  The units that have an external power port accept high voltage power (approx 330 volts) and so will recycle MUCH faster (and safer by design).

You might also want to consider the flash reviewed here:  http://speedlights.net/2010/07/14/yongnuo-yn-560-speedlite-review/  It's one of the few "inexpensive" modern flashes that has provisions for an external power pack.  It's manual operation only, but perfect for shooting "off camera" triggered by radio remotes, etc.

This is an area that I have explored a lot (I still have several old Nikon flashes converted to work in this manner) and I would be glad to share "lessons learned" with you.

Keith