Author Topic: NANPA College Program Video  (Read 2014 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
NANPA College Program Video
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:43:40 AM »
I mentioned on my return from the NANPA Summit in Texas that I had been working with the NANPA College Scholarship Program, and that as part of that effort the scholarship recipients has collaborated with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to produce a video about the "habitat fragmentation" issues in that area.  Remediating this habitat fragmentation is essential to saving a number of endangered species endemic to that area, and Jennifer Owen White, the manager at Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge was very supportive of our efforts.  She cautioned that 90% of the local population was of Mexican heritage, and that many did not speak English.  The students took this to heart and produced much of the video in Spanish (Mexican dialect) and attempted to make a cultural connection to the local population by incorporating references to legends from their culture.

The group of 13 international students had one day to photograph the refuge and surrounding areas, about 1/2 day to "produce" the presentation, and several late nights after the conference events to put any polishing touches on the video.  Here's what this amazing group of young photographers produced:

http://vimeo.com/21488710

I'm sure they would love to get your feedback on the video.

Keith

Chris

Re: NANPA College Program Video
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
Great video. It makes sense that it contains a lot of spanish but I found myself missing part of the show trying to read. I'll have to watch it again.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
Great video. It makes sense that it contains a lot of spanish but I found myself missing part of the show trying to read. I'll have to watch it again.

Yup, after I saw the finished product I had the sense that given more time they could have done a better job synching the subtitles with the image transitions and narrative.  It's amazing what they accomplished in such a short time though.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
Impressive! Amazing photos in that video!!!  Wow!  They did a great job!