Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Evocative" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 2150 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
The guidelines for this assignment were to capture an evocative image that connects with the viewer on a sensory level and provokes the viewer to remember in vivid detail how something feels, smells, or tastes, or an image that connects on an emotional level by provoking a strong memory of emotions felt in similar situations.  An evocative image establishes a connection with the viewer on a physical and emotional level.  

Luc's nature conquers nature image did a nice job of evoking the memories of a Spring day in the garden.  The mat of leaves pierced by the daffodil bud was a great depiction of the perseverance of nature.  I should have asked what aperture and shutter speed this image was shot at, since I wonder whether a smaller aperture might have provided a more crisp rendition of the daffodil leaves.

nature conquers nature
Photographed by Luc Bigler

Marilyn's image titled Can you hear the blues? did a great job evoking the feeling of a classic rock or blues concert, and the smoke in the air was very effective at conveying the atmosphere of the concert.

Can you hear the blues?
Photographed by Marilyn Mckinney

The fact that Rick has shared a bit of George's history made his image titled "A New Day" even more meaningful.  Like Rebecca, I was fascinated by how George's reflection looked younger than his profile, and might symbolize how he remembers himself (or wishes he would be).  The faint shadows of trees in the background added a very effective dreamlike and haunting feeling to the image.  It's worth noting how our eyes are immediately drawn to the high-contrast area of George's profile, then to his reflection, and then to the trees.  What a wonderfully unique image, with much more "depth" than many portraits.  This image was selected as People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit.  VERY well done Rick!

"A New Day"
People's Choice and Editor's Choice for Artistic Merit
Photographed by Rick Pepin (TrvlRick)

Luc's image titled spring is in the air! had great colors and contrast, and a very effective composition.  In general, for flower images it is important to keep the stamen in focus.  The stamen is much like the eyes in a portrait, since it is where the viewers gaze naturally seem to be attracted.  This image might have been a bit more effective if Luc had been able to shift his position, or focus point, so that the stamen was in focus.  It might have also helped to lower the exposure on this image just a bit so that the very tip of the stamen wasn't overexposed, and then the rest of the image could have been easily brightened if needed in post-processing.  Those are just minor suggestions that might have made this wonderful composition even stronger.

spring is in the air!
Photographed by Luc Bigler

Michele's Fasnacht! image was a great capture that conveyed the fanfare and revelry of the parade.  Great composition and crop, and the juxtaposition of the band leader with the small children did  a great job emphasizing their size difference.  Taking the shot when the band leader and children were in the sun and the rest still in the shade provided a very natural way of emphasizing the primary subjects within the scene.

Fasnacht!
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Michele's Cherished sneakers image was another great composition that evoked the scene and feel of the crowd, and conveyed a bit of the personality of the person wearing the sneakers.  Cool image!

Cherished sneakers
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

Rebecca's Tranquility image was one of the last one's added to the album, and as she said it evoked a more somber mood and calm wishes for those that were in the midst of the disasters in Japan.  The part of this image that fascinated me the most was the reflections of the stained glass in the floor, especially the reflection of the center stained glass, which looks very ethereal.  I played with different crops of this image in Photoshop, and in the end decided that the crop Rebecca submitted did the best job of conveying the feeling of tranquility that she hoped to convey with the image.

Tranquility
Photographed by Rebecca

TrvlRick

Thank you all for the kind words. I thought about how to take this photo for a while. The morning I took it I was in the right place at the right time to get the photo. I did take a few practice shots with my dog to see how the shot would look.  I learned from the Yellowstone workshop that being in the right place and timing along with some planning are a big part of photography.