Author Topic: chi-town  (Read 2846 times)

chitownphotography

chi-town
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »
Hello from Chicago!

I'm looking for wildlife photography tours, and found this site while searching for a fall yellowstone/tentons tour.

Jeff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chitownphotography/

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: chi-town
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Spirit of Photography.  Yes, we will be conducting another photography workshop in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks in Fall of 2011.  The workshop is already more than half full, although I haven't posted information on the website yet...  (I'm still waiting on the final lodging prices.)

We will be doing essentially the same workshop as in 2010, starting in Grand Teton National Park and then moving up to Yellowstone National Park for the 2nd half of the workshop.  We have in-park lodging already reserved at Signal Mountain Lodge in Grand Teton NP, and in the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone.  The workshop will begin on the evening of 25 September in Grand Teton NP (we'll try to cue the bears so they meet us at the lodge again  :) ) and will end on the morning of 2 October, with participants checking out of Old Faithful Inn that morning.

I'm delinquent on posting the workshop announcement for 2011, but am waiting for the final lodging prices to be announced before I can finalize the workshop price.  The park service typically doesn't approve the new lodging rates until March.  We're estimating that the cost will only be a minor increase over last year's workshop.  Last year's prices were $1355 per person (double occupancy) which included seven nights of in-park lodging.  Because rooms are limited, we highly encourage "double occupancy," (all rooms have two queen beds) however a single occupancy rate is available at an additional cost of $750 per person.  Last year the workshop was limited to 8 participants; however, because we already have 6 photographers that have reserved slots for 2011, we're considering raising the limit to 10 participants for 2011.

Hopefully this information answers some of your questions.  

Welcome to Spirit of Photography.  I'd love  to see some of your images, and hopefully you will find time to participate in our weekly assignments.

Keith
Spirit of Photography
community host

chitownphotography

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:43:15 AM »
Thanks Keith - some of my shots are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chitownphotography/.  At some point I guess will put up my own website, just haven't gotten around to it.

Your tour sounds like what I'm looking for.  I need to check with American and find out when they stop their service to the JAC airport.

I take it you guys get up early for sunrise shots at oxbow bend?  It seems that's "the shot" to get there.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:57:32 AM »
Hi Jeff,

You have some wonderful images in your galleries.  I really like the winter wolf shots.

Please let me know what you find out from American.  We had two people fly in on Delta last year, but I'm not sure what American's schedule is.

Yes, we will definitely get to Oxbow Bend for early morning shots.  It's a wonderful location, but of course there are many other wonderful locations too.

Keith

Chris

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
Hi Jeff. Great pictures there. Thanks for sharing!

chitownphotography

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
Thanks - most were taken with a Canon 70-200.  I'm close to pulling the trigger on a used 100-400.  I was hopeing that a Mark 2 version was going to come out this year, but I'm tired of waiting.  A 70-200 with a 2x on it, doesn't have the quality i'd like.

WriteHeart

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »
Jeff,

Great pics!!!! I love the wolf pics the best, they are amazing! Nice to see another canon person too :-)

Welcome,

Julie

chitownphotography

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »
ahhh, American Airlines stops service to the JAC airport on Sept 30   :(

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »
Any other alternatives?  I know the folks flying into our workshop last year used Delta airlines...

Keith