Author Topic: "Insightful," Photography Assignment for 14 - 27 February 2011  (Read 2165 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
"Insightful," Photography Assignment for 14 - 27 February 2011
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
I often find myself thinking about what differentiates outstanding imagery from "average."  (Which can be depressing, because it causes me to realize how almost all of my images fall short of the ideal.)  One of the qualities prevalent in most outstanding images (or any art for that matter) is that they are insightful.  They help us to see and understand something about our world that we otherwise might not have noticed or understood.  Synonyms of insightful are "perceptive," "discerning," and "astute."  The Encarta Dictionary definition of insightful is: "Perceptiveness.  The ability to see clearly and intuitively into the nature of a complex person, situation or subject."  

This links back to our Zen assignment, and Carol Haywood's statement that  "The qualities inherent in expressions of Zen include...subtle profundity."  Zen art reveals great perceptiveness and insight.  An insightful image enables us to view a subject with new appreciation for its place in our world, and its inherent beauty.

I suspect this will be a challenging assignment.  It invites us to explore, and then spend time with our subject so that we can discern its "essence" and then strive to reveal those qualities to our viewers.  One week is just too fleeting to be able to do justice to this assignment, so I've made this a 2-week assignment.

Please upload your "insightful" images to the album of that name in the Weekly Assignments Category of the gallery no-later-than Sunday, 27 February 2011.  I will look forward to seeing your images, and sharing your insight.

Keith

Window Frost
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)
(Dave is one of the most insightful photographers I know)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:21:19 PM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Re: "Insightful," Photography Assignment for 14 - 27 February 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
Thank you Keith.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

Michele

Re: "Insightful," Photography Assignment for 14 - 27 February 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
Agreed!!!!