Author Topic: Results and Feedback for the "Implied Leading Lines" Assignment  (Read 1972 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Results and Feedback for the "Implied Leading Lines" Assignment
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:16:19 AM »
I've been concerned in the past that our voting options aren't adequate to recognize the many outstanding images being submitted for the assignments, so for this assignment we experimented with giving each member the ability to vote for three of their favorite images.  I think I prefer this method over giving everybody a single vote, since it allows us to recognize more of the outstanding images that were submitted.  I'd love to get your feedback on whether we should keep this three vote system in the future.

The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image using implied leading lines (from a persons gaze, or placement of objects or patterns) that serve to direct the viewers attention in a specific direction through a scene.

Jaime's Diverging convergence image was an interesting exploration of lines that both converged and diverged at the same time.  The image invited us to take a closer look at an everyday object and marvel at its design.  Nicely done Jaime.

Diverging convergence
Photographed by Jaime Dorotan

Lars' Winterlines images below were great examples of how patterns or rows of object can form implied leading lines that help to draw the viewer into the scene.

winterlines 1
Photographed by Lars

Lars' Winterline 3 image was an especially strong composition, with both the row of orange "bumpers" and their shadows forming implied leading lines that drew the viewer deep into the scene.

Winterline 3
Photographed by Lars

Thank you to everyone that voted for my image of The Last Bite for People's Choice.  In addition to the implied leading line formed by McKenzie's gaze towards the piece of cake, I also thought the poised fork (and direction the hand was pointing) were also relatively strong implied leading lines.  

The Last Bite
People's Choice
Photographed by Keith

I had fun photographing during my day at Exploration Place; however it was actually harder than I anticipated to find a scene with "implied" leading lines without actually including the strong leading lines inherent in the architecture.  I cropped the Exploration Place image below to minimize the contribution of the strong leading lines of the wall on the left of the image, and tried to emphasize the "implied" leading lines formed by the patterns of the pavers, bicycle racks and benches.  

Exploration Place
Photographed by Keith

Lars' Old Town image was a wonderful combination of rich, warm colors and textures that gave the image "presence" and an immediacy that made the viewer feel as if they could reach out and touch the walls.  The "presence" of this image, combined with the leading lines, didn't just draw me in, it compelled me to imagine that I was exploring this alley, walking briskly on my way to the opening at the other end.  While the cobbled alleyway provided a nice leading line into the image, the strongest leading line was actually implied by the contrast between shadow and light down the middle of the alley.  Dave said it best with his comment that the image "has an extra hard to define touch of magic going for it."  It's hard for me to pick a favorite from all the wonderful images Lars has posted on the site, but this one has to be near the top.  The rich tones and textures and "immediacy" of this image give the viewer the sense that they are actually there, walking down the alley, instead of just viewing a 2-dimensional image.  It is because of this that I have awarded the image Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit.

Old Town
Editor's Choice for Artistic and Technical Merit
Photographed by Lars

Rick's Target Practice image was an excellent example of implied leading lines.  Although the pointing gun wouldn't necessarily qualify as a leading line in the traditional sense, it definitely creates a very strong implied leading line that leads us straight to the target.  Great illustration of the concept Rick!

Target Practice
Photographed by Rick Pepin

Michele's I just gotta be me... was another good example of implied leading lines, with the gaze of the girl on the left leading to the girl on the right.

I just gotta be me...
Photographed by Michele Bollhalder

In his railway track image, Luc recognized that in addition to the strong leading lines of the tracks, the implied leading lines of the sleepers and lines also helped to draw the viewer deep into the scene.  This image was a great reminder that although we often pay attention to defined leading lines, it is just as important to pay attention to implied leading lines in our image, since the often contribute as much as, if not more to the overall "depth" of the image.

railway track in our village on a frosty morning with a shy January sun
Photographed by Luc Bigler

Luc's image of a celtic cross was a wonderfully simple image rich with symbolism.  This image invited us to examine the intricate patterns in the cross and contemplate their meaning.

a replica of a celtic cross from Ireland hanging in our entry hall
Photographed by Luc Bigler

Lars' image of The white way into darkness was made more powerful by the way he chose to process the image.  Instead of succumbing to the temptation to bring up the details in the shadows, as most of us might have been tempted to do, Lars let those shadows go dark.  Making this a high contrast image and letting the details get hidden in the shadows was a very good way to simplify the image down to the essential elements. Nicely done Lars.

The white way into darkness
Photographed by Lars

Conceptually, Dave's Cloud Shadow image was one of my favorites from the assignment.  The difference between a defined leading line and an implied leading line is really the subtlety with which the "implied" line leads the viewer into the image.  The implied leading line formed by the clouds in this image was very subtle, but at the same time very effective at directing the viewer's attention.  As always, nicely done Dave.

Cloud Shadow
Photographed by Dave Leiker (prairiedust)

Jack's image of Leafs on a Board was successful because of the simple, elegant design, and the rich colors and texture that made the leaves seem real, as opposed to being a "flat" two dimensional representation.  Nicely done Jack.

Leafs On Board
Photographed by Jack Powers

Marilyn's image of Clay that she said was Inspired by everyone's implied leading lines compositions definitely was inspired.  This is actually a very sophisticated image that succeeds by breaking the rules.  I think it is interesting that the background becomes the primary subject (the interplay of shadows on the wall) while the foreground subject (Clay) becomes a supporting element in the composition.  It's also interesting that Marilyn "flipped" the traditional relationship between light and shadow.  Normally we would use "leading light" to lead our viewers attention to the subject; however, in this composition Marilyn used the strong diagonal shadow line to lead us into the frame and to the subject.  The long part of the candle holder also created a nice implied leading line up towards Clay's face.  To me, this image is almost like one of those "art" films that emphasizes style over plot.  It becomes useful more as a study of style and technique than as an actual commentary on the subject itself.  I like it!

Inspired by everyone's implied leading lines compositions
Photographed by Marilyn McKinney

It wasn't immediately evident to me what the implied leading line was in Alan's image titled Lines of History until I realized it was the gaze of the photographer looking at his camera, which was in-turn pointing out over the canyon.  I realize this probably wasn't a staged shot, but given the opportunity to reposition, I think the image might have been a bit stronger if the photographer was further to one side of the image.  This image was a wonderful reminder of our explorations at the Grand Canyon, and made me want to go back and visit again.

Lines of History
Photographed by Alan Albrecht (Ribot)

I enjoyed Jaime's short story on "Implied Leading Lines."  The Look had a very strong implied leading line following Nana's eyes out of the lower right of the image.  Although it's not normally an effective technique to have your subject's eyes lead out of the image, in this case it worked well as part of the story and lead-in to the second image of The Slope.  Part III: The Sitting Mantis Stance included another strong implied leading line following Nana's eyes down the slope, and the last two images provided a nice ending and epilogue to the story.  Nicely done Jaime.

A short story on "Implied Leading Lines" (submitted as a set of images):

Part I: The Look

Part II: The Slope

Part III: The Sitting Mantis Stance.

Part IV: The Bear Creek Mountain Resort at Mucangie, PA.

By way of an Epilogue: The Ice Cakes

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful images you submitted for this assignment.  I had a tough time choosing an image for Editor's Choice, but in the end I kept coming back to Lars' captivating image of Old Town.  I hope you all enjoyed exploring the concept of subtle implied leading lines and how they can be used to effectively lead the viewer through the scene.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:27:27 PM by keithsnell »

Michele

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Implied Leading Lines" Assignment
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »
I forgot to vote and nevertheless my favorite was chosen.  I love Old Town.  It is really beautiful.  Although, I like others as well, Old town just has a je ne sais quoi.

Lars

Re: Results and Feedback for the "Implied Leading Lines" Assignment
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:33:23 AM »
Thanks Keith for Your kind words about my "Old Town"
Sorry to say i forgot to vote  :)
My absolute favorites in this assignment -  first Daves outstanding "Cloud Shadow"
and then Marilyns wonderfull "Inspired by everyone's implied leading lines compositions"

Lars