Author Topic: Voting for the "Implied Leading Lines" Assignment  (Read 4067 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Voting for the "Implied Leading Lines" Assignment
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »
I've been concerned in the past that our voting options aren't adequate to recognize the many outstanding images being submitted for the assignments.  You all had a valid point when you expressed the desire to be able to vote for more than one image.  There are often multiple images that deserve our vote, and it's not fair that some of the images end up with zero votes when they really deserved more.  In an attempt to compensate for that, I'm experimenting with the option of giving everyone three votes.  For this week's voting, each member can nominate up to three of their favorite images for People's Choice.  At the end of the voting I'll ask for your feedback on how well you think this option worked.

Please vote for your favorite three images from the "Implied Leading Lines" assignment for the "People's Choice" award.  To vote for your three images, please select the check boxes associated with those images in the "poll" attached at the top of this thread, and click "submit vote."  You can select one, two, or three separate images to vote on.  If you change your mind after your initial vote, you can select the "remove vote" option and resubmit your vote.  NOTE:  You need to be logged in to see the voting options.  Voting will end at midnight, Mountain Time (GMT-07:00) on Sunday, 6 February 2011.

The guidelines for this assignment were to compose an image using implied leading lines (from a persons gaze, or placement of objects or patterns) that serve to direct the viewers attention in a specific direction through a scene.

Diverging convergence

winterlines 1

Winterline 3

The Last Bite

Exploration Place

Old Town

Target Practice

I just gotta be me...

railway track in our village on a frosty morning with a shy January sun

a replica of a celtic cross from Ireland hanging in our entry hall

The white way into darkness

Cloud Shadow

Leafs On Board

Inspired by everyone's implied leading lines compositions

Lines of History

A short story on "Implied Leading Lines" (submitted as a set of images):

Part I: The Look

Part II: The Slope

Part III: The Sitting Mantis Stance.

Part IV: The Bear Creek Mountain Resort at Mucangie, PA.

By way of an Epilogue: The Ice Cakes
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:46:44 AM by keithsnell »

keithsnell

• Administrator
Re: Voting for the "Implied Leading Lines" Assignment
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »
Please don't forget to vote.

When the voting is over, please let me know how you liked the new voting experiment (3 votes each) and whether we should keep that process in the future.

(So far I think it is working well, with more images receiving votes than in the past.)

Keith

Luc Bigler

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:17:01 AM »
Dear fiends, I like beiing able to vote for 3 pictures. There are so many different approaches to an assignment and most of them are incredibly creative.
Unfortunately I am down with a severe flue and sinsutis and will not be able t submit a project on low light action.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:39:07 AM »
Hi Luc,

I am very sorry to learn that you are sick with the flu and sinusitis.  I hope you get better soon.  (I too have a very severe cold and sinus issues this week.)

Maybe it is fortunate that we made the low-light action assignment a 2-week assignment, as I have not been able to get out and take images for the assignment either.

Keith

marilyn

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
Get well, Luc!! I'm still fighting a sinus infection too!  And Keith, thanks for the 2 week assignment.  Bought a new tripod yesterday.  Now all I have to do is get some photos taken!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:17:18 PM »
Hi Marilyn,

I'm curious now, what tripod did you get?  (Don't worry, I won't be a tripod snob. :-) )

Keith

marilyn

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »
I ended up with a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod and a separate Manfrotto head 324RC2 with light duty grip ball head.  They are both easy to use, light weight but sturdy enough and within  budget for my level of expertise.  I'm excited to have it. I liked the "trigger" grip for getting it in place - fewer knobs to have to adjust (and thus less danger of me pulling and twisting things without using the proper knobs. So what do you think?  I would never think of you as a "tripod snob", Keith!

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 01:29:47 PM »
I ended up with a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod and a separate Manfrotto head 324RC2 with light duty grip ball head.  They are both easy to use, light weight but sturdy enough and within  budget for my level of expertise.  I'm excited to have it. I liked the "trigger" grip for getting it in place - fewer knobs to have to adjust (and thus less danger of me pulling and twisting things without using the proper knobs. So what do you think?  I would never think of you as a "tripod snob", Keith!

Hi Marilyn,

That tripod is very well rated, and seems to provide good performance for the price.  I wouldn't trust it for super-long telephoto lenses (over 300mm), but I think it will be great for what you intend to use it for.  It's important that a tripod is easy to use, otherwise it won't get used...

Congrats on the new purchase.

Keith

marilyn

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »
Great ~ I get the issue of the super long telephoto but I don't anticipate getting one of those lenses in the near future so sounds like you confirmed my feelings for what I need at this point in time.  And you're right, I know I'll be more likely to use it than something complicated and heavy.

Chris

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »
Now that I can see the vote distribution I really like the new voting.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
Now that I can see the vote distribution I really like the new voting.

Thanks Chris.

I like it better too. 

Keith

TrvlRick

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »
Keith, I do like the new way of voting and Marilyn I also have the Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod with the pistol grip ball head. I changed the grip to be able to use it with my left hand which made it easier to take the picture with the right hand. I really like mine and have used it for couple of years now with no problems.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »
Keith, I do like the new way of voting and Marilyn I also have the Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod with the pistol grip ball head. I changed the grip to be able to use it with my left hand which made it easier to take the picture with the right hand. I really like mine and have used it for couple of years now with no problems.

Thanks Rick.

I do remember your tripod and head now that you mention it, and I remember how happy you were with it.  Thanks for mentioning the ability to switch the grip for use with the other hand.

Keith

marilyn

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
Rick ~ it's so great to know that someone else chose what I chose!  It's interesting -- we first put the grip on the left but moved it because I'm right handed.  Now that you mention your rationale for a left-mount, it makes sense so might try that again.  It makes good sense.