Author Topic: Voting for the "Compelling" Weekly Photography Assignment  (Read 3519 times)

keithsnell

• Administrator
Voting for the "Compelling" Weekly Photography Assignment
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:17:04 PM »
Please vote for your favorite set of images from the "Compelling" assignment for the "People's Choice" award.  The guidelines for this assignment were to strive to compose a compelling image that precipitates a change in your viewer's beliefs or values, or causes them to behave differently towards a subject.

To vote for an image, please select the title in the "poll" attached at the top of this thread, and click "submit vote."  NOTE:  You need to be logged in to see the voting options.  Voting will end at midnight, Mountain Time (GMT-07:00) on Sunday, 23 January 2011.  

Winter Feeding

A rainy day, every day.

Shop sign in Nazi Germany

ambulance in the hills of Nepal

3-day Breast Cancer Walk

20 Years of Marriage

I will always be with you!

Smokers?

Come Play!!

Favela - Electrical Death Traps

Favela

Outside

Hard Labor
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:21:07 AM by keithsnell »

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
Re: Voting for the "Compelling" Weekly Photography Assignment
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
I am so outclassed this week!  Fantastic job everyone.
Dave Leiker (PrairieDust)
Exploring the Rural Midwest

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »
I am so outclassed this week!  Fantastic job everyone.

Well I agree that everyone did a fantastic job for this assignment, but I don't think you were outclassed.  I love your images of winter on the ranch.  Awesome portrayal, especially considering the shooting conditions you had to contend with.  Me, I need to get my ____ off the couch and get out there shooting.

Keith

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
Let's set aside a day and go wander through the countryside a bit, as long as the weather isn't too treacherous. During this type of weather, when the streams are icing over, there is a lot of beauty in areas where moving water creates layers of texture in the ice and bottom structure - similar to what Marilyn did so well.  It's a good time for abstract studies of natural patterns - and a good fit for the Zen assignment.
p.s. If anyone's in the Emporia, Kansas area, the Iconic Kansas exhibit opens at the art center tomorrow evening. I believe National Geographic photographer Jim Richardson will be talking about the show at 7:30 p.m.   It's a juried exhibit drawing on photos in the Center for the Great Plains photo project (Emporia State University).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:31:54 PM by prairiedust »

Michele

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:31:18 PM »
Are you kidding, Dave?  Your photo essay about that ranch was so well done; I felt the bitter cold but saw the beauty that it brings about as well.  It was raw, honest, as well as poetic.  You got yourself out there, took those shots and they were beautiful.  None of us followed a farmer around in the cold.  I wish you could see them through fresh eyes and not as the person who took them.  You would have a different perspective.

I wish I could be with you taking pictures in the snow...  And the après-photoshoot with Irish coffees that follows, of course.

I am stuck for the Zen photo right now.  No clue what I am going to do.  I am not feeling very peaceful at the moment so "pure serenity" is not quite kicking in.

prairiedust

• PrairieDust
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »
You are such a wonderful soul Michele.
I don't mean to be self-deprecating. I'm very proud of the winter ranching set, but that photo Lars put up of a man carrying someone on his back for days - very strong and affected me deeply.
My thoughts on Zen is that we see things for what they are, not what we imagine them to me, or wish they were.  If you are in the middle of a storm you observe the storm. The first noble truth of Buddhism is that life is suffering. Look it in the eye and capture it. But I suppose we're all following our own sense of what "Zen" means. For me it implies a detached, dispassionate state of observation, but not delusion.  
You are such a talented photographer. We always look forward to your work here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:26:40 PM by prairiedust »

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:48:38 PM »
My thoughts on Zen is that we see things for what they are, not what we imagine them to me, or wish they were. 

I thought of your photography as well when I was researching and contemplating the "Zen" assignment.  Both the winter ranching images, and previous images where you have mentioned the conscious decision to present the scene as you found it, and not "pretty it up" or edit out unsightly elements.

I do think that many of your images are great examples of Zen photography.  I almost picked your Winter Wonderland image as an example for the Zen assignment.  There were others I considered too.

Keith

P.S.
I'd love to set aside a day to go wander through the countryside.  I need to check with my scheduler (Rebecca :-) ).  She's in the midst of an year-end crunch for her accounting business, so I need to be sensitive to that.  I'll get back with you soon...

marilyn

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Wouldn't it be fun if all of us could teleport (is that the right word?) ourselves to the same spot and take pictures together while talking about possibilities of zen-like images/feelings?  And Michele's idea of "the après-photoshoot with Irish coffees that follows, of course." I know that is out of the realm of possibility and yet, I kind of have the sense that we will be together somehow in spirit.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:12:59 AM »
That would be fun!  Rebecca and i have talked about wanting to go on more "outings," both in Kansas and Colorado.  Maybe this spring we'll finally get something together.

It would be fun to read more commentary about how people came to photograph certain scenes, and what they were feeling and thinking at the time.  Maybe we can post some of our stories in the forums for this assignment.

Keith

Michele

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
Dave, it was Luc that uploaded the photo with the (I think it was a woman) on the back of a man in Nepal.

I know exactly what you mean.  Today, I put aside the million things I had to do to keep a promise to my son.  Lately he has been very emotional.  I promised that I would help him build a fort.  (I did not expect snow for a while)  Well, guess what?  It snowed.  So a few hours were spent making snow blocks and staking them.  I am beat!  My house is a mess but whatever, I built a fort!  Now my butt hurts!

I wish you guys a  great day!

Michele

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 01:22:25 PM »
P.S.  Although Luc's photo is very compelling for us to appreciate what we have and the strength of human nature found in the Nepal photo, I think the one taken last week "Hard Labor" also shows how people get on with what must be done to survive.  The other photos also have many good points as well.  I think this is going to be a difficult vote again.

keithsnell

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
Just a friendly reminder to vote! 

Voting closes tonight at midnight Mountain time.

Keith

marilyn

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »
Yep! It was a hard one.  I changed my mind several times.  Who knows, maybe I'll change it again before midnight? Really compelling stories and images!